HELP! Is this a SCRAP bag?

lea-m

O.G.
Jul 8, 2007
Slided a bit of the sofa and won this bag:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320410858936&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I know that the pics are not conclusive and unfortunately I did not ask for additional photos prior to bidding (I won the bag with a sniper).

The seller is kind of offended that I am asking for pictures NOW ans se assures me that the bag is authentic: " I used to have a family member that worked for Mulberry. It is completely authentic, you will see that when you get it. I am an honest person and I wouldn't ever try to fob you off. I am awaiting payment."

I asked about the scored label and she answered:

"There is a faint score on the leather on the inside but its not over a label?"

I know it is hard to tell without the pictures but do you think that it is a scrap bag?

Hi Lea-m

Well, I certainly wouldn't have spotted it until it was pointed out to me, but the 4th photo does indeed look like it's got something scratched in the leather, albeit faintly & I can't be 100% certain it's an X which usually means its 'scrap'

If the style of bag hasn't got a leather 'label' than the X couldn't be put on it, but would be somewhere in the vicinity of where the mark is.

I wonder, is it worth asking for the serial no - ie do Mulberry keep a record of the no's re their scrapped bags?? (perhaps a more experienced TPFr could help us on this point)...

It looks like a lovely bag.. Hm, I would prob not have seen the cross if you hadn't pointed it out. Maybe she's not aware of how Mulberry is marking the labels (SUB, crossing labels etc)... (she's naming it orange too, and not ginger..) But the answer is strange though? I guess she must see if the cross is over the label or not?!

Sorry, I'm not experienced on any markings re: labels, so hopefully someone with the expertise will come around!

I may be completely wrong but I have a kind of deja vu feeling about this. Why do I feel that someone has already asked this question about an unusual orange Mulberry bag (Ledbury or EW Bays) in the last couple of months?

You know jenova I have went through all the"authenticate this "thread to find this bag as I am sure it came up somewhere. I can't find it. Thought I was going out of my mind. Still possible mind you

lea - Yes, I noticed that when I looked at the listing myself. This model doesn't have a label, hence why it is scored above the pocket. Additionally, it doesn't appear to have any stamping. If the seller has a family member that 'used to' work for Mulberry, I would suggest you politely point out to her that the family member would have signed a contract stating that they will not pass on or resell the bag and that Mulberry prohibits the resale of the bag.

Hi!

Thank you all for your help. JazzyJay, I really appreciate your expert opinion.

I have contacted her about not wanting to conclude the deal but now I feel really bad leaving her, as she says, out of pocket.:sad:

Hi Lea-m

Don't feel bad - she's only out of pocket with the person she bought it off, not you

On the other hand, if she knew that the bag was a 'sub' then she's got a bloody cheek relisting it - actually, she's got a bloody check relisting it either way - why pass the problem off to some other poor soul (nearly you if you weren't so quick-witted)

Thank you.

I saw that she has relisted the bag, if it had not been for this great forum, I would never had heard of "sub" bags at all.

Hi Lea-m

Don't feel bad - she's only out of pocket with the person she bought it off, not you

On the other hand, if she knew that the bag was a 'sub' then she's got a bloody cheek relisting it - actually, she's got a bloody check relisting it either way - why pass the problem off to some other poor soul (nearly you if you weren't so quick-witted)