Help! Is my patent Givenchy Nightingale still worth saving?

Feb 9, 2009
Hello fellow bag lovers!

I got this Givenchy Nightingale as a 30th birthday gift from my husband not so long ago. It's in patent leather in a sort of pink salmony color. I am very careful with my bags but made the mistake of lending it to my sister. She spilled lip stain on it! And didn't give it the love it deserves.[emoji22]

I've asked a few designer bag repair shops in my area and shown them my bag, but they said it can only be dyed to black. I already have a black bag I like and I don't need another black bag. I'm thinking this bag would look nice in dark red or brown.

Is it possible to dye it myself to red or brown? I hope someone could suggest the best dye product I should use on patent. Please help me! I don't want to see my dear Nightingale go to waste.[emoji17]ImageUploadedByPurseForum1452683401.620246.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1452683437.421543.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1452683473.052636.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1452683524.011287.jpg

That sucks! My sister did the same thing several years ago and she is banned for life (I just buy her bags of her own)! I don't have an answer but want to wish you luck!

Bumping this thread up.

It has almost been a year since I started this thread and I'm still on the fence on what to do with this bag. It's so cute but I'm worried that dying it to black will "wash" out its design, meaning making the look of the bag un-noticeable, if you know what I mean. I looked online for a patent black Givenchy nighy and it doesn't look so bad.

Any suggestions from Givenchy lovers out there? Should I have my nighty re-colored to black? I asked around my area and re-coloring it will cost around US $142+.
What do you guys think?

patent black small Givenchy nightingale.jpg

I say do it. The bag is not doing anything sitting in your closet looking like that and you wouldn't be able to sell it in that condition. Even if you just use it occasionally, it will still be worth it. It'll be like getting a new bag all over again! [emoji4]. You should ask your sister to chip in though. [emoji34]

You can ask around the various rehab/restoration threads here. The Coach thread has been very gracious about helping me with a non-Coach bag. Even if you're not DIYing, they might be able to give you info on dyeing patent. I say have it dyed! If you're okay with black, do it black, but if you won't use a black bag, try asking around about dyeing it another dark color like you originally planned :smile:

Reactions: divineprada
I say do it. The bag is not doing anything sitting in your closet looking like that and you wouldn't be able to sell it in that condition. Even if you just use it occasionally, it will still be worth it. It'll be like getting a new bag all over again! [emoji4]. You should ask your sister to chip in though. [emoji34]

You're right, I can still get some use out of it if I have it re-colored to black. And I agree! My sister should definitely chip in.:smile:

Honestly, i am not a fan of the original colour it comes in, so black for me [emoji1360]. Plus, one can never have too many black bags anyway [emoji23]

Come to think of it, I have around 5 black bags and each one is unique in its own way and serve a different purpose. Another one wouldn't hurt.:biggrin:

The original color is not actually what's in the photos. I don't know. I guess it's the disease of patent leather that it yellows eventually. I'm attaching here some photos of how the color used to look like when it was still new, just to share it.

Attachments

• Givenchy NIghtingale in Salmon Pink (3b).jpg
    Givenchy NIghtingale in Salmon Pink (3b).jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 674
  • Givenchy NIghtingale in Salmon Pink (9).JPG
    Givenchy NIghtingale in Salmon Pink (9).JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 677
You can ask around the various rehab/restoration threads here. The Coach thread has been very gracious about helping me with a non-Coach bag. Even if you're not DIYing, they might be able to give you info on dyeing patent. I say have it dyed! If you're okay with black, do it black, but if you won't use a black bag, try asking around about dyeing it another dark color like you originally planned :smile:

Thanks for the recommendation! Will check out those threads.:smile:

I think you should dye it black now, wait and see if you will use it. If not then sell it. The value of the bag as it is right now is not very high, so you might as well save the trouble of reselling rather than making a few pennies. If you dye it black the chances of selling is a lot higher so even though the dying proces might cost around $150 and take some time, you will have a new bag when it's done or you'll get the money back in the reselling :smile: And your sister owes you big time for ruining such a gorg bag!

Reactions: divineprada
I'm going to go against the flow I'm afraid, I say get rid of it and stop worrying about it :sad: and I think your sister owes you something towards the cost of a new bag!

I've seriously considered just tossing it in the trash bin several times before! But the sentimental value of it gets to me every time. I received it as a 30th birthday gift from my husband. It was just really unfortunate my sister had to borrow it and not take good care of it. Sometimes being nice bites you back in the butt! Now, she knows very well not to even hint at borrowing any of my bags or any of my stuff ever.

I think you should dye it black now, wait and see if you will use it. If not then sell it. The value of the bag as it is right now is not very high, so you might as well save the trouble of reselling rather than making a few pennies. If you dye it black the chances of selling is a lot higher so even though the dying proces might cost around $150 and take some time, you will have a new bag when it's done or you'll get the money back in the reselling :smile: And your sister owes you big time for ruining such a gorg bag!

I'll keep your suggestion in mind once I get to have my bag dyed black.:smile:

Now, all I need to do is travel to another city where the shop I found that does patent leather dye jobs really well is located. I hope it will turn out real nice.