Help in choosing one of these two oldies!

jasminewang

Jun 25, 2015
Merry Xmas ladies,

I recently scored two balenciaga oldies, one is a 2007 chèvre anthracite city (I think it's hard to find in this condition, yay~~~) , the other one is a 2009 raisin city, both that I love, and both in mint condition! However, I can only choose to keep one of them, as my budget goes ...

I already have a balenciaga mGGH black city, and a rh black part time ( yeah i know i am boring...) and my clothing varies, black, olive, red, green, purple, orange... (i love colours!) lifestyle is causal... I am asian so I am not white skin toned (hehe).

so i am hopeless.. thinking day and night which to keep and which to go... the 2007 anthracite is actually a dark teal colour, darker than the pic.s I am posting, and i am worrying raisin, though beautiful, cannot go well with many colors. ohhhhh pls. help me to decide which one to keep!

Attachments

• IMG_1974.JPG
    IMG_1974.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 567
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 12.50.43.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 12.50.43.png
    254.3 KB · Views: 551
UGH! That's a tough one! I love the Raisin color but I think if I had my hands on a 2007 bag in mint condition, I'd be hard-pressed to part with it, especially in a color that will go with everything. The 2007 chèvre is highly coveted and since 2009 bags were agneau, I'd be willing to bet the '07 is a far superior feel and look. Maybe try them both on with a few of your "go-to" outfits and see what looks better on you.

But FWIW....I'd keep the '07! :graucho:

I personally would keep the 07 Anthra if I had to chose.
Although I have been using an 07 Violet recently & have never had an outfit that I've had to change because it clashed with my bag. The purple colour just seems to blend or contrast beautifully with everything imo :smile:

UGH! That's a tough one! I love the Raisin color but I think if I had my hands on a 2007 bag in mint condition, I'd be hard-pressed to part with it, especially in a color that will go with everything. The 2007 chèvre is highly coveted and since 2009 bags were agneau, I'd be willing to bet the '07 is a far superior feel and look. Maybe try them both on with a few of your "go-to" outfits and see what looks better on you.

But FWIW....I'd keep the '07! :graucho:
exactly! it's the goatskin that made me crazy for, i have used my black mggh for some time and noticed it already get small tiny scratches somewhere :sad: the lamb is just soooo delicate! Otherwise I am looking at the colour of the raisin all the time too! Oh i think i will keep the 2007 one in the end!

Although I have been using an 07 Violet recently & have never had an outfit that I've had to change because it clashed with my bag. The purple colour just seems to blend or contrast beautifully with everything imo :smile:
That's good to hear the raisin can fit with everything, as I only got the pic.s of the raisin so far, and the seller does not accept returns therefore I didn't make the purchase yet... but the 2007 is on the way to me already! ( I guess the delivery is slow due to the holiday) . Thanks for your advise! I think I "have to" keep the 2007 unless the green tone annoy me too much!

and ur 2007 purple...ohhh i wish I had fell with balenciaga earlier :loveeyes:
I only hear everyone here talks about the chèvre is better than the lamb, how is your 2007 purple?

and ur 2007 purple...ohhh i wish I had fell with balenciaga earlier :loveeyes:
I only hear everyone here talks about the chèvre is better than the lamb, how is your 2007 purple?

One comment, I've been told that with the exception of the 2004 eggplant, Bal purples have a tendency to fade. I love purple but have held off because of that. I'd keep the 2007 because of the chevre leather.

A pristine 07 anthra doesn't come around much. It's one of the most unique years for the color. 100% keep the 07 anthra. You can replace the purple down the road... Very possibly with an 07 violet of some sort, or maybe a raisin in another style. Purples come to the aftermarket quite frequently, I think a lot of people buy purple because it's so gorgeous but find that they wind up not using it much and those bags wind up for sale. But 07 anthra? Almost never. I've seen a lot of raisin colored bags for sale in the last year (albeit not pristine city bags perhaps, but I'm not a purple person so I don't always look out for it). Consider that Bal launched bal.com in 09 and probably ramped up production to meet the demand of the mass distribution channel--just a theory, but that means there are probably a lot more of them in circulation. Just my opinion...I have a stupid number of dark/black bags, but it's what I use most and what wears best.

Last edited:
Definitely go for the '07 Anthra. A friend of mine has one that simply took my breath away. I wanted to get one too, but the subsequent Anthras that Bal produced were never the same.

My anthra is from 2012 and I didn't even like the color when I got it, but it grew on me so much it's now one of my most loved bags and it launched a full blown anthra investigation on my part... poring over threads and pictures investigating all the various anthracites over the years and how they've differed. If my "research" is correct, '07 was the original anthracite, and although it became a staple color for years to come, it was never quite the same again. I know that my plain jane 2012 anthracite can't hold a candle to it.