Help I'm A Human Pacifier!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have an 11 week old baby and I'm exhausted! My daughter will nurse during the day for 10-15 mins every 45 min to 1 hour. She would do this until 10:30 night then she'll sleep for 2 hours and wake up for feeding. She'll do this until 7 am when she wakes up. During the day she'll nurse and falls asleep...when she does, I try to put her down for a nap but gets fussy and the only thing that'll calm her down is my breast. I get about 4-5 hours of sleep at night and no nap during the day...I'm exhausted! I tried using a pacifier but she'll not take...same with bottle. Please help! Does it get any better?

2. Hi Purse Collector

I understand how you are feeling and YES. It will get better. My daughter when she was new born till 3 months old, nursed an average of 1 1/2 hour every 3 hours and does that cycle 24/7. SHe does fall asleep because breast milk has calming hormones. I feed on demand and let her latch on as long as she wants. She also needs to latch on for some comfort feeding in order to sleep at night.

However, as she grows older, she self adjusts. Now she only need 5-10 min every 4 hour and I miss her long feeds too! So enjoy it while you can! Its a great bonding time!

3. Mine would nurse about the same time (15-20 min) but not every hour, maybe every 3 in the beginning. I am sorry you aren't getting any sleep. I would keep attempting to put her in her crib (or whatever you are using for sleep time) to take naps so she can get used to it. If she is really tired she might cry for a little (yes, this sucks) but hopefully will eventually sleep for a few hours during the day, that way you can get a nap. And like poshpearl said, enjoy it now because you will miss it! :biggrin:

P.S. Love the title of your thread, made me LOL!

4. aww, you're letting her use you as a paci for sure! She doesn't need to eat that often but she wants to suck . . . so you let her.
    If you don't want to do that, then you'll have to break her of that :sad:
    It will get better, but right at 3 months she really should be a very efficient nurser.

5. My son did this...

Just hang in there honey. As much as you might had the word "patience"...pick a day to just TRY new things...bottle, binky...just find a day to spend knowing from the beginning that it is going to be rough. You will find your way thru this, I promise!!!

6. purse collector: You just described my life right now!!! I'm nursing every 45 mins and DS would never sleep longer than 1.5 hours. He would only latch on for 5-10 mins at a time. It's driving me nuts! I'm really grumpy from lack of sleep! I started pumping breast milk and force feeding DS 3oz, but he usually takes 2 oz and falls asleep, and then the cycle continues!!!

7. Sorry ladies but my son is 15 months and i am still a human pacifier.. At his age, its really hard to take him away because he understands so much! I suggest you start pumping and introducing the bottle and slowly at 6 months, to start weaning off breast milk. My life is really awful now and we havent slept through the night yet because breast milk is so light and he wakes up 3-4 times wanting to breastfeed!

8. My DD did this till she was about 6 months...so yes, just hang in there, it will be better!

9. My DD did this for the first 2-3 months too. I know that I'm gonna get blasted for this but why don't you try to have her suckle while you are both napping. Lay down on your side and have her at your breast, when she sleeps you can too. It really doesn't solve your problem but I think she will grow out of it and right now you need your sleep. During the first few months I would try anything if it meant sleep. Also, have you tried putting her in a swing to nap? Some babies really like the sensation. I would suggest a swing that adjust motions, my DD only like the side to side motion, not the back and forth. Good luck.

10. ^ That advice is what saved my sanity, the napping that is.

Yes, it will get better, hang in there.

11. omgggggggggg i feel the same way but my ds is 8 months and hes making me his bedtime pacifier!

12. Blasted heck. If not for nap nursing (see Dr Sears!) I would have gotten noooo sleep. Wonderful bonding, too.

13. :tup:

14. Thanks for the advice...I tried the side lying position while breastfeeding but it didn't work for me. She seemed uncomfortable and so do I. I'm just praying right now that she'll grow out of it cuz I'm really exhausted. She has a chair that vibrates and plays music but she'll only stay in it after she breastfeeds and will wake up when she wants her human paci :sad:. Oh the joys of motherhood

15. I had the same problem with DS. Sometimes he would feed nonstop for 2 hours!!! I ended up getting a lactation consultant and it was worth every penny. Turns out that I wasn't producing enough milk and that's why DS was always hungry. It helps because they will bring a scale along and see how much they are actually getting from BF. I ended up feeding 20 min from each breast and then someone would give DS formula while I pumped to build supply. That way the feed would last and hour and DS would get enough. They will definitely grow out of the sleepy phase and then you will wish they were sleep again :upsidedown: