Help identify this 1957 vintage bag!?

sydneybob

O.G.
Nov 4, 2008
Hi everyone-
I took a risk last week and bought a Hermes bag of unknown style or year. It looked to be in pretty good shape. The seller couldn't find a blindmark, but once I received it, I did find a M on the inside pocket flap! I could barely breathe....

Now I'm nervous about cleaning it up or even carrying it until I figure out more about it.

Does anyone recognize it and know it's style name? Is it really from '57? Any ideas about it's worth or how to determine that?

Thanks very much-

Attachments

• hermes 1957 black bag 001.jpg
    hermes 1957 black bag 001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 142
  • black bag 8.jpg
    black bag 8.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 103
  • black_bag_9.JPG
    black_bag_9.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 106
  • hermes_1957_black_bag_021.jpg
    hermes_1957_black_bag_021.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 86
I recognize it but can't recall the name, sorry. Your best bet for a close to exact date is to take it into Hermes and have a craftsperson look at it. With it's embossing Hermes, Paris it is dated after 1959 to 1970, but I bet they could narrow that down. Beautiful bag, Congratulations!!! It is lovely!!!

I recognize it but can't recall the name, sorry. Your best bet for a close to exact date is to take it into Hermes and have a craftsperson look at it. With it's embossing Hermes, Paris it is dated after 1959 to 1970, but I bet they could narrow that down. Beautiful bag, Congratulations!!! It is lovely!!!

I do agree. I'm of no means an Hermes expert but I have seen a couple of bags like this at a (proper) French auction in Paris and they were described as '1960s' (they might have had a different clasp).

Really lovely bag, I love the ones that are slightly 'under the radar'. Beautiful, and it looks like it could be a useful shape and size too.

Congratulations :smile:

Thanks you all. I will be in Paris this fall; is it better to take it to FSH for spa (and then have them ship it back to me in the USA) or to take it to a US Hermes store? We have none near our home so I'd have to ship it to one :sad:

Either or, I don't ship things often (anything not talking Hermes) so I am not the best to advise on how to ship so anyone jump in on how to do it but I would do it in the states and insure it and call to follow up on when it arrived. The craftspeople are located in Hermes Beverly Hills and Hermes NY,Madison so one place or the other. You could always talk to the craftsperson before shipping and ask if they could do a positve date or if it had to be shipped to France (they can give you the name by faxing pic to FR.I think but let them offer that suggestion) . Since you are going to France, it would be easier but the spa might take longer, and I doubt they would give you the ID on the date/ name while you are standing there. Shipping more expensive and if something is lost in translation the bag might arrive back without exact date information. I think someone will pop up in the thread with the name of the bag. It might a sac with chaine d'ancre in the name or something like that.

Adding, you can always call a store and ask their advice on what you should do for the information you want. They are really helpful in giving solutions or answering questions for all sorts of things. Policies and practices change and it is hard to keep up, IE, they might tell you........absolutely take it to France and ask for senior craftsman XXX when you go!!! Ask to speak to the repair dept.

If anyone has experience doing this please add advice, opinion.

Last edited:
Hi everyone-
I took a risk last week and bought a Hermes bag of unknown style or year. It looked to be in pretty good shape. The seller couldn't find a blindmark, but once I received it, I did find a M on the inside pocket flap! I could barely breathe....

Now I'm nervous about cleaning it up or even carrying it until I figure out more about it.

Does anyone recognize it and know it's style name? Is it really from '57? Any ideas about it's worth or how to determine that?

Thanks very much-

Your lovely vintage is called a Sac "Chaîne d'ancre"
What a great find Congratulations:heart: