Help! I sold a very high-priced item to Greece and it has been in customs for 6 days!

I had a bag in Australian customs for nearly 30 days. I was so nervous the entire time because it was such an expensive bag. Fortunately it was fully insured and declared and I was so lucky to have the most understanding buyer ever. I couldn't believe how patient she was. Most buyers would have opened an INR case and been a total pain even though the seller has no control over customs. The buyer finally got the bag and loved it....so don't worry yet! Most likely it will get there just fine in a week or so.

Thanks, echo! So nice to hear of comforting experiences. I appreciate it and am glad it all worked out for you and the buyer!

You can add shipsurance app here. You can insure packages with two clicks of the mouse, insurance coverage is available for most countries (I don't work for them BTW).

Yes, the buyer did have to pay duty tax, she didn't let me know how much but she was not too thrill about it. Good luck! :smile:

Thanks, pursewatch. I immediately added the app, but I don't think it is too late to add insurance on this package. I e-mailed them, but it doesn't look promising. But, thanks for the info. If I decide to continue to ship internationally, I will definitely use it!

I hope that my buyer doesn't have to pay the duty taxes! She's had to wait so long and I hope she remains pleasant. It may change it they charge her taxes on $650. Any idea on the % of duties????

I had a Finnish buyer once ask me to declare a lower value so that lower duty could be paid, but of course you can't declare £100 for cusoms and £400 for insurance.
The customs duty should be the same whatever the courier, but the admin fee from the courier varies. I have to say that shipping abroard is such a nightmare that I UK ship only now, it's just not worth the stress.

Good luck - let us know how you get on. Caroline X

PS. Don't feel sorry for your buyer, she should have done her homework with regards to import duty, customs, handling charges etc, it's not your responsibility !

Last edited:
I had a Finnish buyer once ask me to declare a lower value so that lower duty could be paid, but of course you can't declare £100 for cusoms and £400 for insurance.
The customs duty should be the same whatever the courier, but the admin fee from the courier varies. I have to say that shipping abroard is such a nightmare that I UK ship only now, it's just not worth the stress.

Good luck - let us know how you get on. Caroline X

PS. Don't feel sorry for your buyer, she should have done her homework with regards to import duty, customs, handling charges etc, it's not your responsibility !

Thanks for the support, early-grey-tea!

:confused1:

there are no customs fees charged within the eu.

Don't worry yet. I had a bag stuck in customs for almost a month coming from Canada to the US, it finally got to me safe and sound with no issues. I also sold a bag to a lady in the Philippines and it was in customs for a three weeks - she finally had to go there herself to find it in their post office. They weren't even going to deliver it!

Don't worry yet. I had a bag stuck in customs for almost a month coming from Canada to the US, it finally got to me safe and sound with no issues. I also sold a bag to a lady in the Philippines and it was in customs for a three weeks - she finally had to go there herself to find it in their post office. They weren't even going to deliver it!

Good to know, shibumiflowers. I can't believe it can be that long! I am just hoping the package gets to her safely eventually :smile:

Thanks, pursewatch. I immediately added the app, but I don't think it is too late to add insurance on this package. I e-mailed them, but it doesn't look promising. But, thanks for the info. If I decide to continue to ship internationally, I will definitely use it!

I hope that my buyer doesn't have to pay the duty taxes! She's had to wait so long and I hope she remains pleasant. It may change it they charge her taxes on $650. Any idea on the % of duties????

She will have to pay the duty taxes, the bag I sent was only $190 and there were duty taxes. I don't know how much but the buyer wasn't too happy about it.

Hello Mimi, I am from Greece, and I have bought several items from America. It is true that the procedure with the customs clearance is unpredictable! The custom officer may not open a package with an expensive dress, but a little package with a $80 skirt can be opened and you have to pay the customs. In the past, many buyers asked the sellers to declare a value below $40, or declare the package as a gift, in order not to pay custom fees. But the all thing with the ´´gifts´´ was revealed, and now a package marked as gift can be opened at the customs office. It is true that we prefer USPS, because when it arrives in Greece, the package gets picked up by the hellenic post (the national postal service), which is more flexible and much cheaper regarding this matter. UPS or other carrier companies are private and not national companies, and it is quite sure that the buyer will pay high custom fees. All the times I have ordered from USA, I have not paid anything, or I have paid 3 euros, which is a standard amount when you use hellenic post. Besides, when you buy something from outside Europe, you take this risk.

Don´t worry, these things may take some time, parcels often get stuck at the customs office.
Hope I helped you a little bit!

Hello Mimi, I am from Greece, and I have bought several items from America. It is true that the procedure with the customs clearance is unpredictable! The custom officer may not open a package with an expensive dress, but a little package with a $80 skirt can be opened and you have to pay the customs. In the past, many buyers asked the sellers to declare a value below $40, or declare the package as a gift, in order not to pay custom fees. But the all thing with the ´´gifts´´ was revealed, and now a package marked as gift can be opened at the customs office. It is true that we prefer USPS, because when it arrives in Greece, the package gets picked up by the hellenic post (the national postal service), which is more flexible and much cheaper regarding this matter. UPS or other carrier companies are private and not national companies, and it is quite sure that the buyer will pay high custom fees. All the times I have ordered from USA, I have not paid anything, or I have paid 3 euros, which is a standard amount when you use hellenic post. Besides, when you buy something from outside Europe, you take this risk.

Don´t worry, these things may take some time, parcels often get stuck at the customs office.
Hope I helped you a little bit!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GINAKI!!! I appreciate you sharing your experience with me! It makes me feel so much better! I really hope that my buyer doesn't have to pay much. Can you tell me how long it has taken for your items (on average) to get to you? My package has been in customs since 09/10 (10 days) now.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GINAKI!!! I appreciate you sharing your experience with me! It makes me feel so much better! I really hope that my buyer doesn't have to pay much. Can you tell me how long it has taken for your items (on average) to get to you? My package has been in customs since 09/10 (10 days) now.

HI, I´m glad I helped you feel better!
The maximum that I had to wait in order for my item to be released from the customs office was about 15 days. A few times I saw from the tracking system that it was released within half an hour! But in average, regarding purchases from USA, I would say one week.
Don´t worry, since you used the national carrier, even if the buyer has to pay custom fees, they are not going to be very high-judging from my experience and from what I read at many greek forums that analyse this issue. Greek buyers usually are prepared for this when they buy from USA.

Have you stated a high price on your parcel?

Generally this is a risk that the buyer must take, and I believe you don´t need to worry, even if your buyer pays an amount. There is a pricelist for hellenic post services in greek, but I get so confused when I try to read it, it has so many data and terms that I´m not famlliar with!

HI, I´m glad I helped you feel better!
The maximum that I had to wait in order for my item to be released from the customs office was about 15 days. A few times I saw from the tracking system that it was released within half an hour! But in average, regarding purchases from USA, I would say one week.
Don´t worry, since you used the national carrier, even if the buyer has to pay custom fees, they are not going to be very high-judging from my experience and from what I read at many greek forums that analyse this issue. Greek buyers usually are prepared for this when they buy from USA.

Have you stated a high price on your parcel?

Generally this is a risk that the buyer must take, and I believe you don´t need to worry, even if your buyer pays an amount. There is a pricelist for hellenic post services in greek, but I get so confused when I try to read it, it has so many data and terms that I´m not famlliar with!

Thanks for your information, ginaki! Yes, I stated $650 US because that's how much I was able to insure it for. Do you think it will be a lot???

hi, mimi..i am also from Greece..and i have the same problem with u with a pair of LV sneakers i bought and my girlfriend with a chanel bag that she bought..do not worry..if you have tracking number there is no way for your package to be lost..it just takes more time to clear customs and also there many strikes these period in Greece and may these delay the parcel more..
i can tell you also to tell the seller to check in the Elta site

http://212.205.82.71/trackandtrace/

and also phone in 8001182000

which is the central of Greek post office and give the tracking number to tell him what to do..

hope i ve helped..