Help! I "rescued" a hedgehog!!

mischka

lovin' my bee!
O.G.
Sep 10, 2007
My friend decided to give up his hedgehog, which he had for almost a year or two I think. He's not even sure. It's been living on cat food and water. The cage is extremely stinky and I find it quite small or thin. I'm not sure though if they really are this size?

I got hold of it this evening, threw out the stinky metal case and gave it a bath. I was so scared of hurting myself but I think I got it right. Lukewarm water, baby shampoo, toothbrush and rubber gloves:P I put it temporarily in a plastic container (similar to a huge tupperware) with water and cat food. I also included strips of shredded paper.

Here's where I need help everyone! I work a full time job and have 2 dogs. How can I nurture this hedgehog back? I'm bringing it to the vet this weekend but until then, what would I feed it? Should the strips of paper work well? Do I need to get it a wheel and tunnels?;)

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! TIA!

omg god bless you!!! i am sorry i dont know how to help..i never owned a hedgehog before..hope someone can chime in. if you get a chance to post pics, can you? hehe.....i would love to see what the little guy looks like!!! ((HUGS))

wow, they are so cute--I didn't even know what a hedgehog looked like until I went to the Hedgehog Central site. That was really sweet of you to rescue the hedgehog that your friend abandoned. I hope he has a much better life with you now. I wish I could offer some advice, but I don't know a thing about hedgehogs. Best of luck and please keep us updated on his progress!

Aww, hedgies are so cute! You're a good person for rescuing this little guy!
I know that hedgehogs are nocturnal.. so they like to bury themselves/be in the dark during the day. If you line their cage with shredded paper/wood chips and put a small, overturned cardboard box in there as a house, they will disappear and sleep while it's light out (which is a good thing!). I also know they LOVE to play with toilet paper rolls. They stick their heads into them and push them around, and it's very cute!
(I used to be sort of into hedgehogs.. never had one but one of my professors had one, and he would have dinner parties for his students.)

Thanks everyone! My family is really tired of me "adopting" strays and rescues. One time I literally stopped our car in the middle of the road and was about to put a stray kitten inside a box when out of no where an old man told me to get into my car right now and not to get the kitten because it was NOT really a kitten. I think I almost fainted right then and there:P

Anyway, here are the pics of the hedgehog for last night after its bath. I'm going to pass by the pet shop after work and grab more stuff.;)

P1020137.jpg

P1020138.jpg

P1020139.jpg

P1020133.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement and links everyone! I hope I do right by this little guy!