Help! I need an opinion on a vintage Rolex!

astronette

Nov 11, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the jewellery box :smile:

I'm planning on getting my first real watch. I really love Chanel J12, and gold Rolexes. I'm bending towards a vintage gold Rolex, I think it would make a great first watch, as it's such a classic piece.

I found a couple of good candidates from chrono24.com. I know nothing about watches, so I need an opinion. Is this a good price? And is this watch a "good buy"? I think it's pretty, but I really want something that has longevity.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/rolex/18...e=1&goal_email=1&id=1620466&picnum=1&tab=pics

I also like this Omega, and the price seems pretty good:

http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/om...FromRewrite=1&id=1577132&picnum=3&tab=details

What I like about these both watches, is the fact that they manage to look elegant and understated while being in yellow gold.

On the other hand, I love Rolexes, but then again, sometimes I feels as if it's too recognised.. I don't want a status symbol, I want an elegant timepiece.

TIA for your opinions! :flowers:

With the price of gold at an all time high, I think that the Rolex and Omega are excellent buys. I do not know the website that you are looking to purchase these items, but they seem like great deals to me.

I bet 90% of the people in this forum will tell you to buy the Rolex. Normally, I would go for the Cartier, but the Rolex seems like an excellent buy.

AntiqueShopper, thanks for sharing your opinion :flowers:

I know that Rolex is much more popular, and the brand is very strong. I think my problem with watches is that I don't have enough of "brand knowledge". Even if I'm not after status symbols, I do care about the brand value of my investments. When it comes to handbags, I couldn't be more certain about my love for Chanel, Hermès and Bottega Veneta and their brands, and same with with clothes and shoes, I know everything about them, and the different brands: classic and conteporary ones. With watches, I'm confused. To be honest, I really like the Omega one, and the price is great, but I'm not sure if it's a brand I want to buy into. I guess I should just do research... :smile:

Oh, one ore thing: I know that Rolex holds it's resale value superbly, so when comparing these two watches from Rolex and Omega, I can't help thinking that I'm getting a better/just as good watch for a much price with Omega :lol: Although, now that I think of it, new gold Rolexes are usually around 20 000 $, so this really would be a great deal.

Truthfully, the Rolex is a better value. A gold Rolex seems to start at 25K, so to get one at the price listed is awesome! However, if you love the Omega, buy the one you love. You will be the one wearing it.

A lot of people on tpf that are interested in Rolex watches also frequent the Rolex forum. I'd check over there to see whether anyone has experience with this seller.

I don't think we are allowed to post direct links to other forums. Just google "rolex forums" and you will find it.

Last edited:
AntiqueLover, true...

There was something that bothered me about this specific Rolex that I couldn't put my finger on, but now I got it: the bracelet! I did some research, and discovered I want the president bracelet. So my ideal Rolex would be oyster or lady datejust with president bracelet. The Omega one is pretty similar in style to those. The oyster bracelet seems too thin, somehow.. I've heard changing a bracelet is not as easy as it might sound, and getting a new president bracelet would probably be expensive, too... Sigh..

A lot of people on tpf that are interested in Rolex watches also frequent the Rolex forum. I'd check over there to see whether anyone has experience with this seller.

I don't think we are allowed to post direct links to other forums. Just google "rolex forums" and you will find it.

Thanks, I already did :smile: I actually posted a similar post to this in their vintage subforum, but as they have a post moderation, it is not there yet. But most of them are men, and most of us here are ladies, and I also wanted a female point of view :flowers:

For some reason, maybe just the pictures make it seem this way, I think the gold rolex is the most understated and elegant of the three. Also, its the only automatic movement of the three. Thats my pick. Is that watch site reputable? Ive recently purchased my first timepiece and that price seems very low. I was looking at preowned SS datejust and they were at least 2-3k.

For some reason, maybe just the pictures make it seem this way, I think the gold rolex is the most understated and elegant of the three. Also, its the only automatic movement of the three. Thats my pick. Is that watch site reputable? Ive recently purchased my first timepiece and that price seems very low. I was looking at preowned SS datejust and they were at least 2-3k.

Ok I need to educate myself on the movement-thing... What does quartz mean? :shame:

The site should be reputable, it was recommended in an economy magazine, on an article about watches.. I also contacted the seller and asked for photos of the Rolex on a lady's wrist, he was very friendly, aswered all my questions and sent the photos.

I also contacted the Omega seller about the same thing, I want to see it on wrist. No answer yet. I'm somehow bending towards the Omega one, because a new gold Rolex is way out of my budget, and it doesn't seem probable I will find a vintage one with all the right details (=champagne dial, president bracelet, index markers).

Somehow the oyster bracelet doesn't seem so alluring to me. Maybe I should see photos of ladies sporting their Rolexes with oyster blacelets for inspiration :P

But I checked the current Omega prices, and they're pretty much the same as Rolex, gold seamasters start at around 20 000€.

Ok I need to educate myself on the movement-thing... What does quartz mean? :shame:

The site should be reputable, it was recommended in an economy magazine, on an article about watches.. I also contacted the seller and asked for photos of the Rolex on a lady's wrist, he was very friendly, aswered all my questions and sent the photos.

I also contacted the Omega seller about the same thing, I want to see it on wrist. No answer yet. I'm somehow bending towards the Omega one, because a new gold Rolex is way out of my budget, and it doesn't seem probable I will find a vintage one with all the right details (=champagne dial, president bracelet, index markers).

Somehow the oyster bracelet doesn't seem so alluring to me. Maybe I should see photos of ladies sporting their Rolexes with oyster blacelets for inspiration :P

But I checked the current Omega prices, and they're pretty much the same as Rolex, gold seamasters start at around 20 000€.

Where are you located? The basic difference between the movements is that quartz is battery powered and automatic has none and is powered by you wearing it. Now that you pointed it out, I suppose the bracelet could be nicer, lol.

I'm in Finland. Ok I think I get it.. Is the automatic movement same as chronograph? :confused1: I know that the automatic is more appreciated, but I'm not sure why. Because of it's durability?

The bracelet could be nicer indeed :lol: But at that price it's a great watch, expecting it is authentic. It would probably still be a lot cheaper to get this one, and get a new president bracelet for it, than to get a brand new one.

And definitely, judging from the photos, the Rolex is the prettiest one, the gold has an amazing sheen to it :heart:

But now that you said it, I feel a little suspicious about the authenticity of the Rolex, I mean, it is pretty damn cheap for a gold Rolex! And claimed to be in mint condition! I'm afraid to ask the seller, as I'm not sure how I should do it, and I don't want to sound like a rude jerk :lol:

I'm in Finland. Ok I think I get it.. Is the automatic movement same as chronograph? :confused1: I know that the automatic is more appreciated, but I'm not sure why. Because of it's durability?

The bracelet could be nicer indeed :lol: But at that price it's a great watch, expecting it is authentic. It would probably still be a lot cheaper to get this one, and get a new president bracelet for it, than to get a brand new one.

And definitely, judging from the photos, the Rolex is the prettiest one, the gold has an amazing sheen to it :heart:

Chronograph has nothing to do with automatic. Id get on wikipedia and read about all of the movements before you make a decision. :smile:

But now that you said it, I feel a little suspicious about the authenticity of the Rolex, I mean, it is pretty damn cheap for a gold Rolex! And claimed to be in mint condition! I'm afraid to ask the seller, as I'm not sure how I should do it, and I don't want to sound like a rude jerk :lol:

Like I said, make sure to do your research before you buy!!

Chronograph has nothing to do with automatic. Id get on wikipedia and read about all of the movements before you make a decision. :smile:

Like I said, make sure to do your research before you buy!!

:rolleyes: I feel so stupid now.... :lol: I'm on wikipedia... I guess it's pretty clear that for me a watch is more of a fashion accessory and not a particularly necessary item :roflmfao: Oh well, I guess everyone has once been a newbie when it comes to watches, or anything. I should go to my local Rolex dealer, try on some styles in different sizes, ask questions, etc....

Thank you so much for your help! :flowers: