HELP! I just got a fake!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi ladies, I hate this say this but yes, I've been scammed and its a sticky stitch. I've been very sore the last month upon being hitted by this blow. So I'm going to share my story to all of the genuine buyers out there. Once bitten twice shy, I will do what it takes to protect myself and the community from such dishonored sellers. I hope someone professional could give me some advice on how could I take action to such disgraced sellers as I honestly do believe justice should prevail. How can I get my money back which was mentioned in the listing that 100% Authentic if not money-back guarantee? How could I do my part to weed out black sheeps like these?

The seller have just de-registered from eBay but I know she is still lurking under some other disguise and selling counterfeit bags in the facade of authentic photographs. (I say this because I've sent her an email yesterday and got back a reply with a different name but same email address and she asked if this is about returning a Prada, which clearly is not because I bought a Chanel)

Please be extra careful when you deal with such sellers. Prevention is always better than cure.

The story goes like this:

It was my first time buying on eBay and I didn't have any rating.

1. The seller (eBay ID: alana_star, based in West Midlands, UK), private messaged me asking if I'm willing to close the deal at 600 GBP. This happened when the auction is still in active running.

2. I agreed as 600 GBP for a brand new Chanel 2.55 Classic Double Flap Lambskin is really bargain. I got the listing even authenticated here at TPF and forumers showed their thumbs up for its authenticity.

I even asked many questions of its authenticity, origins, why is she selling a brand new one so cheaply. She replied saying she have bought it out of haste in New York as there was a reduction from US$2100 to US$1900 and now she is looking for a quick sale.

Never would I thought she's using the real pictures but selling goods that are fake.

3. So, she sent me a PayPal invoice and I paid.

4. But the listing continues to run and when I question why is it not close since I'm the winning buyer who just paid, besides she mentioned she will close the listing once I paid.

She answered it was because her sister have an identical bag and wanted to sell hers too.

5. This is #1 BIG RED FLAG GUYS! DO NOT EVER TRANSACT OUTSIDE OF EBAY, SECOND-CHANCES OFFER ARE TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS NEVER AND WILL BE.

6. So a few days later, the auction ended with a winning bid of 760 GBP by a Polish member. I messaged her and she told me she have won the bid and received the goods promptly, however the serial number is not the one as listed in the auction but she doesn't sounds too concern with the fact if its 100% authentic. This seems strange to me somehow though, but I didn't question why.

7. During the wait for my item to arrive, I made checks on eBay and an unbelievable thing happened, I found out the exact same listing to reappear in front of eyes. But this time, it was not posted by alana_star but by another user (eBay ID: polaka31, based in East Sussex, Reino Unido).

8. So I messaged him asking if he is related to alana_star and he replied yes! alana_star is his girlfriend.

9. I questioned him why is he recycling the listing (same description and same pictures, pictures of the serial number being the same is a HUGE CONCERN! This is absolute dishonesty to buyers).

He replied:

Dear pinkbowdoll,

YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT! DO YOU HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO!??

ITS MY CHOICE WHERE TO ADVERTISE THE BAGS AND WITH WHICH ACCOUNT! IF THIS CARRYS ON I WILL CALL BACK YOUR PARCEL AND REFUND YOU. THIS IS STUPID!!!!

FYI YOU MIGHT BE RECEVING THE BAG WITH THE NUMBER IN THIS LISTING OR THE OTHER BAG WITH DIFFERENT CARD NUMBER. I DONT KNOW TILL I GET HOME BUT I THINK ITS THE LATTER!

ITS UP TO ME WHERE WE ADVERTISE OUR OUR PHOTOS WHICH MY GIRLFRIEND PAID GOOD MONEY TO HAVE PROFESSIONALLY DONE.

NOW PLEASE DONT EMAIL ME ANYMORE AND WAIT PATIENTLY FOR YOUR BAG!

REGARDS

- polaka31

10. As there is not much I can do, I waited for the item to arrive. During this time eBay sent me a message saying they have removed her listing due to breaching of one or more of their policies but didn't state why.

I was even more concerned by then so I consulted her and she passed it off saying this is even better as she sold it off to me?

11. The bag finally arrived on Christmas day and I was shocked to receive a FAKE. I couldn't take the blow and made a mistake of sending a really awful email to her.

12. She replied saying, if I were to be more polite. She would have done me a refund.

13. I checked my serial number on the bag and it is identical with the other winning bidder from Poland!

14. It is clearly that this is a fraud seller selling multiple identical fakes under the same listing that have been recycled again and again.

15. I said I will bring the bag to Chanel boutique to get it authenticated and she replied, if I were to swap the real one she sent for a fake one, Chanel will keep the item and not return me back. This is obviously a threat and an accusation!

16. I have since lodged a police report in my place of residency and would do so soon in the U.K where she is staying. Also, I have consulted eBay Security and Resolution Center and PayPal but because I'm not the winning bidder, things are quite sticky. The police here said as she is not in local grounds, the laws here does not apply to her in the U.K so it's going to hard to nab her.

17. However, they have suggested that I should go to Chanel boutique to report this fake and the seller and they will have a team who are specialize in hunting counterfeit wholesale sellers as they affect their reputation heavily. Is this true?

18. I have tried gaining her address by the tracking postage number but my local postal service said as this is not a registered mail, sender's address is not revealed.

19. Now my credit card company wants a proof of a return of the good to be able to provide a chargeback.

20. Can anyone please guide me how can I get her address. Should only police authorities have the power to unveil her address? What else could I do?

Thanks very much all to listen to my plight. I deeply appreciate any two cents worth of advice.

2. ^^My only suggestion is to take it to the boutique and provide them with all information necessary. They may give you ideas on how to proceed w/ the problem. Good luck.

3. This isnt the first time I have read about this happening here on this forum - ie. bag being authenticated here as real but then the buyer being sent a fake. I really hope you get this sorted out and the girl gets caught. Good luck and keep us informed of any updates.

4. Hello dear, *hugs* I am so sorry this has happened to you...I have been cheated of a fake B bag too... maybe posting this thread on the ebay sub-forum will draw more advise as to what can be done.

5. I totally agree with LVKeepallfan ~ also, have you posted a comment for the Ebay user polaka31 on the site? if you write a feedback you could help prevent other Ebay buyers from buying his fake items again..good luck!!

6. So sorry to hear that hapened to you, I was once cheated on a Hermes on ebay too.... hate when they do that, or they do a bait and switch, but yes a 600 pounds for a double flap was quite too good to be true.... hope you get your money back, since you got it outside of ebay, paypal only garantees that you receive the item, not that the item is authentic or not why don`t you ask your cc company to take the handbag, and they return it to the seller via paypal or so..... also if a letter that chanel decided to keep the handbag as evidence and decicded to destroy it or so..... hope it helps you get your money back......

7. Hi Nicole.

I'm also sorry this happened to you!!

In the US most designer boutiques will not "authenticate" handbags. I'm not sure if UK boutiques will.

More than likely alana_star did not cancel her ebay account. She was probably suspended. First of all, I would report polaka31 as being associated w/ alana_star. Perhaps they are one in the same? Report to ebay as they can investigate this. It's against ebay policy to have two id's when one is suspended.

Do you have alana_star's name from the packaging? Did you try to google or search on the internet for an address?

IMO, I would call your credit card company and explain to them that your seller has provided a false address so you cannot return the counterfeit bag back at this time.

Does the UK have any laws against shipping/mailing counterfeits? If so, how can you ship back this bag?

Back to seller polaka31: Sold three "prada fairy" bags that look suspect - one currently listed. You could post the auction in the prada authenticate this thread to see if they are authentic. If not, report the listing! (Other tpf members will report also). The three completed auctions can be reported as well.

8. Also, try to work w/ the other buyer from Poland if possible. Perhaps you can share information that will benefit both of you.

9. #9 Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
    Hi gro3602,

Oh, I didn't know that more than likely she is being suspended! Could it because my reports against her on eBay Security and Resolution Center?

Now that I am aware, I will make my next move to report polaka31 and provide them the message where he claims that he is the boyfriend of alana_star and the message where they feel its rightful to recycle pictures on eBay.

This is the original message including the header for genuine proof:
    Subject: Re: pinkbowdoll has sent a question about item #280294883759, ending on Dec 21, 2008 03:45:00 SGT - NEW CLASSIC CHANEL BLACK 2.55 Flap BAG PURSE + RECEIPT Received: Dec-17-08
    To: pinkbowdoll
    ItemId: 280294883759
    You responded to this message on Dec-17-08

eBay sent this message to Caroline Ng (pinkbowdoll).
    Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
    Seller has responded to your question about this item
    Do not respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy, may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programmes. Learn More.

Dear pinkbowdoll,

Hi

Yes that my girlfriend. Why do you ask?

Regards

- polaka31
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also just got it authenticated at Prada Forum here, pending results.

I have alana_star name from PayPal invoice, her name is *redacted*. I supposed it is real?

But however, how can I google her address? She have sent through Royal Mail in the UK, how can track her address? I'm sure there is a way to nab her. Her PayPal account should be directly link to a bank account an thus an address. Besides, Royal Mail should have the sender's address too isn't it?

Thanks so much for your advices and guiding me through this thick fraudulent scheme. I really want to bust her no matter how hard the effort is, to prevent unsuspecting users from falling into her trap (just like me).

10. #10 Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    Am sick with cold so it took me a while to realise - Polaka (as in polaka31) is actually Polish for a Polish person ...... just wondered if it tied in with the lass from Poland who "won" the auction ..... could they all be tied in somehow?? A "fake winner" as such??

My parents were Polish and I have family there. I know for a fact that none of them have money for designer stuff - unless this person won the Polish lottery .....

11. Yes but why would the winning bidder of 760 GBP tells me that the serial number of the bag if he knew that ours are the same? Wouldn't this be a big let out?

His eBay user ID is m-gniadek-2007, registered in Poland.

12. So the person selling the bag is (eBay ID: polaka31, based in East Sussex and the person who won the bag is user ID is m-gniadek-2007, registered in Poland ....

Hmmm ........ need to think here ........will get back to you once I can think through my cold ...

13. Yes you are sort of right.

The actual seller is: alana_star
    The winning buyer is: m-gniadek-2007

Right now, alana_star account is deregistered and only the boyfriend's account (polaka31) is still running with one auction in active.

It's quite complicating, it seems like they are from a group of professional syndicate. This is scary..

14. This is murky to me, but it's early in the morning... what do you mean by "professional syndicate"?

15. I'll chime in here.....the seller stole my photos of the authentic bags that I sold/was selling. I reported both sellers as soon as I noticed the stolen pics and ebay removed both of the fraudulent listings immediately.
    Did you have the listing authenticated here, as our authenticators are very good at catching these things and raising the red flags when they see pics that belong to authentic sellers that they know. They know my photo 'style' and they are very quick to indicate to stay away from a seller when the see that stolen photos are being used.
    I'm so sorry to hear of your problem....as they say when something is too good to be true, it probably is. Did you check the packaging on your parcel for a return address?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.