Help - I can't find a quality cardigan sweater that doesn't pill

chica1

The King of Pop
O.G.
Jun 20, 2008
All -

With winter coming, I'm need to find some decent quality cardigan sweaters that don't pill. For the past two years I've been purchasing from J. Crew but all of my sweaters get that worn look after two or three wears. Can anyone suggest a good brand? I'm also looking to replace my beloved argyle sweater from J. Crew.

Thanks!

While I don't have a specific recommendation for sweaters, and for that I apologize, I do suggest looking into getting an electric sweater "shaver" ($10-$15 on amazon). I totally understand your frustration about pilling but this little gadget might help recuperate your favorite cardigans in the meantime while you look around for something better.

Good luck on your cardigan journey! :biggrin:

You know, my super expensive Armani, Agnona and Chanel cashmere and merino wool sweaters, coats etc, never pilled. Ever.

But who wants to spend that much money on a sweater. I don't, any more. Nevertheless, the more expensive the item, usually means the less pilling. You need to look for longer fibres that are tightly wound. Less expensive, fast fashion, usually mean shorter fibres, which will pill.

The sweater shaver didn't work for me. I use single blade razors (cheap ones), then pull the pills up with transparent packing tape. I have to be careful though - I've cut a hole in more than one item by getting too aggressive.

WOW, crazy crazy money. I would sooner buy a $50 cardigan at Nordies 40 times to replace as they pill (I'll have more than enough to cover the rest of my life!) than spend that whole amount on just one piece! :P

I still would like to have one. They were beautiful, like luxury coats. I usually hate cardigans, but these were cut so nicely and felt so cozy, like wrapping yourself in a blanket.

Totally impractical for me. Too easy to mess up.