Help! I Am Losing My Mind With My Kitten...

jen_sparro

Jen
O.G.
Mar 27, 2009
Hi all,
I haven't had a kitten since I was eight (I'm 20 now). We adopted Alfie just over a month and a half ago and I am beginning to regret it. He's 12wks this week and he's just intense! I don't remember Stormy being like this at all!

He's constantly leaping around, climbing up people (which we discourage obviously!), he just doesn't stop. I burst into tears the other day out of sheer frustration, I had to put him in his room and walk away otherwise I might've hurt him. He bites and scratches and can be crazy aggressive (my friends thought I'd been hurting myself thats how bad it looks). Our vet will only sterilise at six months, and I keep telling myself that after he'll be better. If this is his personality I don't know if I can cope.

He's worse than when my previous cat (who had a brain tumor) was attacking us out of nowhere. Late at night he is wonderful, cuddly and purring and sweet. He's jekyl and hyde. Will he calm down after he's sterilised? Or is this going to be what he is like? Help! :cry:

I don't have a ton of advice, but he definitely will calm down! My mom and dad had the kitten from hell a few years ago, and she turned out to be the best kitty ever- very calm. She would attack me so much that it looked like I was cutting myself on my arms.. it was bad. Although it took a while for her to balance out, she did around 1 year of age.

Neutering him WILL help... and if I were you, I would definitely go to another vet because they've started spaying and neutering a lot younger now, as long as they weigh more than 2 pounds. I have recently adopted 2 kittens in the past year, and they were fixed around 2 months old. The traditional age is 6 months because they thought it had negative side effects to do it too young, but recently they have discovered that there are actually benefits from fixing them younger.

Good luck! It will work out :smile:

^We adopted a nine year old cat in January after we put Stormy to sleep. She doesn't like him as she came from a one cat only family. We have two dogs, and one of them happily plays with him. He has plenty of toys and we play with him all the time (I live with my parents and three younger siblings). But another cat would be too much for Baby (9yr old) I think.
I cannot remember what Stormy was like, and I guess this is just a shock reintroduction to what kittens are like :shrugs: I just wish I could fast forward his kitten time :P I love him to bits but he stresses me out lol. I think my post was more of a frustrated rant.

Thank you Lauren8792 for the reassuring words, I'm taking him for his 12wk vac this week so I will ask the vet if they will do it earlier. :smile:

Well I don't have cats but I do have a dog who is exactly like your kitten. I would suggest sterilizing him though I did that to my dog and he is still a little monster lol. Nurturing DOES help a lot and I heard that if you give your cat a playmate, he will be more calmer and less aggressive. Hope everything works out with your kitten! :smile:

Sounds like my Lil Dude when we first adopt him! LOL! He was only 6 weeks old when we rescued him. He was soooo energetic and mean to my other cats! He was the smallest, but he constantly fought with my other cats. He leaps, jumps and scratches everything and everyone all the time! He even peed on me every night when I went to bed, for about 1 month! The vet said it was his way of claiming me.

Kittens will be kittens. You have to be patient. Give your kitten lots of love. All new kitten need reassurance. And try to work out his energy by playing with him. Alot! Until he is too tire to do any damage. LOL! The cat dancer works really well. Good luck with your kitty.

Here's are pics of my Lil Dude in action. He is about 7 weeks old in these pics. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,278
  • IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 669
Last edited:
Sounds like my Lil Dude when we first adopt him! LOL! He was only 6 weeks old when we rescued him. He was soooo energetic and mean to my other cats! He was the smallest, but he constantly fought with my other cats. He leaps, jumps and scratches everything and everyone all the time! He even peed on me every night when I went to bed, for about 1 month! The vet said it was his way of claiming me.

^^ LOL!!!
:lolots::lolots::lolots:

^^My DH was getting tired of me waking up every night from 12am-3am, changing the bed sheets, doing the laundry, and taking a shower. We finally had to close our bed room door, much to my reluctance. Little Dude would sit outside and cried for me. :sad:

Luckily, he grew out of his "claiming" stage. Kittens will be kittens.

I used to keep my kitten in one of the spare bedrooms at night. So she got used to going to bed in her "own room". After I had her neutered and declawed she calmed down alot and I was able to let her go anywhere in the house at night.

Alfie has our games room as his 'night-time' room. I'll start bringing him into bed with me once he's alittle older and he knows the layout of our house.
We've been keeping him out with us as much as possible and he's been a lot better!
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences! I'm glad my kitten isn't the only terror :biggrin: Thimp, your little boy looks so much like my Stormy when he was a kitten! He's lovely!

My kitty is crazy too :lol: He has calmed down a little since he was neutered last month. He isn't as wild (he used to run around my living room full speed right after he would eat his breakfast) and takes more naps during the day, but still will have times where he just comes up and bites my hand because he wants to play.

Lil Dude is so cute. :tender:

OP, you sound just like how I felt when I first got my Riley at thirteen weeks old. He had me seriously worried! It was then I realized that I hadn't had an actual kitten for many, many years - most of my cats had been adopted at more mature ages. Now that he is about a year and half old, he's starting to get better. He was already neutered when we got him, so I'm not sure neutering will make much difference; I think they just have to grow out of the hyperactive kitten psychosis. Riley will be officially declared psychosis free if and when he stops jumping up the walls and slowly sliding down with his claws in the drywall. We've done a lot of wall repair.....and he's been a real challenge for me.

^Exactly! I had completely forgotten what kittens are like, the last time I had a kitten was 11yrs ago when I was nine. We found an old drawing my sister did from when Stormy was a kitten, it'd been on the bathroom door when we kept him there, I had to laugh when I saw what she had written- 'Warning, kitten in this room- he bites and scratches.'
I don't remember Storm as a kitten, so I'm definitely relearning. Thank you for sharing your experience! Riley is such a cute name for a kitty! :biggrin:

Alfie's finally recognising what 'no' means. He's been alot better the last two days. He enjoys beating up my bullmastiff :P He's ever the optimist with our older cat, who wants nothing to do with him.