Help! Have you ever bought a cheaper substitute while waiting for the bag you covet?

animal 1

O.G.
Jan 18, 2008
I love handbags (as all of us ladies who peruse this forum!)

Prior to becoming a mommy, I tended to be a bag snob, rocking Chanel, balenciaga, the occasional LV (no monograms for me, though) and *sometimes* would substitute my more expensive purchases with to more "moderately priced" Rebecca minkoff and Olivia Harris (at least that's how I justified to my DH!)

Now I have an 8 month old, and my bag needs have changed. No heavy bags, need them to be larger, light weight, and cross body.

This brings me to my dilemma... Please help! I've been alternating between my bals (town and velo) and a crossbody Olivia Harris, since these bags meet my new requirements. Ive recently become obsessed with Alexander Wang (some are lightweight! Gorgeous leather! Good prices!) but after reading the forums, I've realized that you can get a lot of aw's on sale. Now I'm determined to find a deal/steal on an aw marti backpack (or even a Donna!) but I'm itching to buy...thus, I've stumbled upon a 'random' brand on the free people site....

Have any of you ladies bought a cheaper substitute while waiting for a deal/steal on something you covet?

http://http://www.freepeople.com/sale-sale-accessories/lux-convertible-leather-tote/

http://http://www.barneys.com/Marti-Backpack/00505009941328,default,pd.html

I was waiting for the Midnight Rocco to go on sale and in the meantime I bought a lookalike from ShopSuey.com. It was actually pretty nice, I wore it for about two weeks then I got my Rocco for 20% off and I've been wearing it ever since.
It is very heavy I won't lie, but the neoprene is catching my attention so I may invest in that in the new year since others have written that it's quite lighter to carry. Check out Steals and Deals in this AW forum, you should be able to get what you want on sale right now.

Excellent thread!

When I became bag obsessed, I thought why buy something super expensive when you can also get something for a decent price. Well, I now dislike the inexpensive bags I have and I never use them.

So my answer now will be no, I would never buy something while waiting for the bag I truly want. It just wastes my money.

I answered this question in another thread. Yes, I bought a Rocco lookalike in France earlier this year while I decided whether to buy the authentic. The lookalike is great quality. It's faux leather, black and with only four studs on the bottom. It's from Naf-Naf, cost about 50 euros and is very lightweight. It's also a nostalgic purchase because of family links in France. I bought an AW a few months later and haven't used the lookalike for a while. Still like it though.

I just want to get this free people bag because I'm dying to use a backpack style, and while I'm okay with spending $$ on a handbag, now that I've read through the aw forum, I can't bring myself to pay full price for an aw bag. Waiting for a deal/steal is making me do anxious!! :smile:

I'm moving this to general handbags. I'm sure many people can weigh in here as it is not designer specific. I'm sure a lot of people have done this and can contribute!

I just did and I'm sooooo happy!!!! I've been craving a MJ Hillier hobo but with braces, a cruise and a new house to pay for it just wasn't in the cards. Found out about the Roots Olivia and put it on my Xmas list. Hubby found a 25% off coupon and got it for under $180 in chocolate and I couldn't be happier :cloud9:

Yes! And, what's great is that I can give me "hold-me-over" bags away to friends. My friends LOVE it when I get new bags bc it always means that I will have a couple to pass along :speedy:

I've done it, and somehow I don't end up loving the bag because it's almost like wearing a cubic zirconia -- less satisfying than a diamond, even though it's beautiful. I recently bought a Big Buddha bag because I like the style, but it bugs me that it's not real leather. Am I alone?

I've been dithering over this very issue. A few months ago I bought a faux Alexander Wang Rocco bag in France. It was an 'inspired by' by the French fashion chain Naf-Naf. Later on I bought the authentic. Initially I loved it but am now finding it a tad heavy and shapeless. So I'm dithering again, this time over another inspired-by in fuschia faux leather. I reckon this one would be far lighter in weight. It's also a really nice colour and, unlike my Naf-Naf, has the right number of studs on the base. Since resting the Wang I've been using my Bal Twiggy and really appreciate the lightness. I love the style of the Rocco, but once I started stuffing it it started to become a bit of a deal-breaker. The Naf-Naf bag is a bit of nostalgic purchase as I spend a lot of time in France. But would I like the other inspired-by? Why is life so complicated?

I've done it, and somehow I don't end up loving the bag because it's almost like wearing a cubic zirconia -- less satisfying than a diamond, even though it's beautiful. I recently bought a Big Buddha bag because I like the style, but it bugs me that it's not real leather. Am I alone?

I am with you! It never satisfies completely, but for more expensive designer bags i like to take the style for a test drive first.

So true! I like your comparison :smile:

I'm not sure I'm familiar to Big Buddha bags, but if you like the style, why not?

I have this problem right now.. I'm on a bag ban until my birthday because I want to get the bag I want even if it's full price when I get it. But I feel like caving in and instead of waiting 8 months, maybe just 3-4 and buy something else and pre-owned.. But I think I should be strong!!!