HELP!! Hardware marks on new tomato!

rolexgirl

O.G.
Jun 11, 2006
In all my years of collecting Balenciags, I have never had such an issue! My brand new tomato first (that has been sitting in her dust bag too long) has marks on the handles from the hardware- yuck! I tried LMB botanical cleanser to no avail. Any other suggestions?

I've seen that before, it typically shows on lighter bals and Reds. It comes from the hardware being in contact with the leather. You can get it professionally cleaned and stain proofed from LMB.. however, it may come back again.

No indents at all, just black marks from the stinkin' hardware:sad:!! I didn't get this on my RT, but did get some on a rouge vif I had. So, send it to LMB? I already tried the botanical silk cleanser.

Yah, at this point... if it's not coming out with the botanical silk cleanser, and it absolutely bothers you.. send it in to LMB for cleaning. (Call Barb to see if she's able to get it out first & maybe ask if, you were to also get it rain & stain proofed from her.. if it would prevent the marks from showing up again). g- Luck~!

Aha, now I know where mine came from on my RT First....it doesn't really bother me as RT has darker undertones than tomate and the spot seems to blend in, but hmmmm...interesting. Good luck in getting the spots out!

Well....scratch the LMB idea. They want $300 to fix the handles??? There are 2-3 small marks on each one so, imo, that is a hefty price tag. Do you ladies have any other suggestions of places to send my poor Bbag? Thanks:smile:

Yep, it's definitely the hardware. This happens on Day rings too -- over time, the ring darkens the leather around it. I store all my Cities with handles flat instead of flipped over the bag so the pressure doesn't transfer hardware marks. There are some threads here about DIY cleaning -- I've seen pictures of orange TKO doing a great job cleaning, but that's probably too strong for this. I've also read about cornstarch but never used it myself. Good luck finding something! Your Tomato First is gorgy by the way!:heart:

Avelle (bag borrow or steal) now offers a full handbag restoration service and their prices are pretty decent. You should check out their site as well. GL!

^^ Good to know, Desi - thanks! Been wondering about some other options...

Anyhow, do the marks on the handle really bother you? I've found that AG cleaner does the job and does the job well. It won't get rid of the slight indent, but should get rid of the hw marks without issues. I'm not so much a fan of the LMB cleaners (but I like their conditioners).