Help/guidance - tarnish on van cleef bracelet

You can try a gold polishing cloth.

Gold can tarnish. This happened to my Cartier earrings, and Cartier wanted to send it in due to “oxidation” and charge me something ridiculous so I decided against it and went home and used my polishing cloth, and it all went away!

Prior I used Dawn and water but nothing worked. I think I did what Cartier would have done for a lot less. Good luck!

Reactions: hhw
You can try a gold polishing cloth.

Gold can tarnish. This happened to my Cartier earrings, and Cartier wanted to send it in due to “oxidation” and charge me something ridiculous so I decided against it and went home and used my polishing cloth, and it all went away!

Prior I used Dawn and water but nothing worked. I think I did what Cartier would have done for a lot less. Good luck!

Yup - I also used a gold polishing cloth - did not do any good on the bracelet or necklace. I also used a soft toothbrush and baking soda (a friend suggested this) - this made the motifs looking good for a few weeks, but the copper tinge reappeared thereafter. I didn't bother after that.

• Sad
Reactions: Chaton
do you have a photo of the tarnishing? Also which country did you buy your piece from?
It's fairly hard to see from a photo (it's a coppery darkening on the edges of the alhambra and due to the pattern, it's not evident unless seen in natural light) - I bought the items from the US in mid-2015, and problems started happening in 2017. I also have an alhambra pendant/necklace (single motif) that is older stock (early 2015) which has not changed color and I wear this more often and closer to the skin (so closer contact with sweat). My jeweler says that it's the alloy but VCA refuses to admit it. They did not offer an exchange and wants to charge me for polishing the pieces [my jeweler says it will solve the issue since it's the whole piece not the top layer'. I've have had 14k gold pieces for over 20 years that have not tarnished like this, so an 18k gold piece from a brand name is disheartening. I've stopped purchasing VCA pieces since 2017.

Reactions: Chanellover2015