HELP! Growth in Infant Belly Button?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. About a week and a half ago (after some vigorous cuddling from MIL), I noticed DS had a small red nodule in his belly button that bled a little upon heavy contact. We called the pediatrician's medical advice line and were told to apply alcohol until it dried up.

Yesterday, it started to ooze a white discharge and we took him to see the pediatrician. She recommended we take him to a pediatric surgeon. Needless to say, I'm very worried - has anyone else experienced anything like this? DS is only 9 weeks old and seems otherwise healthy.

2. Aww I'm sure he'll be okay. I have no experience with this but I just want to wish your baby good luck!

3. Did they say it was a hernia?

4. Umbilical Granuloma...google it and see if the pics match what he has. Silver nitrate will do the trick. Don't apply alcohol to it; that won't clear it up. If it is an UG your ped should have known that...

My DS had it and had to have it treated 2x w/SN. PM me if you have any questions.

5. ^^ Hmmm, that is kind of scary, the ped should know what it is, unless they never saw it.

6. I think you're right! This is exactly what it looks like:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050415/photo.html

This wasn't our regular pedi (we just wanted first available) but she definitely didn't mention silver nitrate. She said there were instances where a tunnel from umbilical cord doesn't completely shut and that the pediatric surgeon could help rule it out. I will be PMing you - thank you!!

7. Olialm1 - Thank you for sending good luck our way!

Omgsweet - No, the pedi was rather vague and referred to it as a growth that needed to be evaluated by a pedi surgeon. I should have asked more questions but I stopped thinking coherently when she mentioned "surgeon".

8. My son had an umbilical hernia which went away on its own. It never oozed or was discolored. Try not to worry. I'm sure it'll be fine.

9. Once treated w/ silver nitrate it will heal in about 5 days or so. DS' belly button looks like normal now!! :smile: