Help for salt-stained leather boots

Sep 13, 2007
The other night I ended up in a sloshy parking lot wearing a pair of relatively new leather boots. When I got home they were wet and didn't think much of it. But when they dried they were thoroughly salt-stained. Ahh! I doused them in Wilson's Leather Lotion and scrubbed for about 5-10 minutes, changing the rags frequently. Voila! Today they look good as new.

Anyone else have any tips for keeping leather boots looking nice in bad weather?

Reactions: RedLipstick2
My cobbler just says to run them under water

Anyhow, I'm too lazy to do that so I just bring my boots to him and he cleans them for me and does a much better job. I'm sure he uses other products to get the salt out though.

Thanks for the tips Cec and Lulilu! I've always been afraid of touching my boots with a wet rag, worried about water marks, but I guess that's pretty irrational. Taking them to a cobbler to be cleaned is also a good idea. (Had this old pair of Frye boots I tossed years ago because they became decrepid looking. Never thought of a cobbler. Duh!)

Thanks! :biggrin:

I have been wondering about this too. Usually the day or two after they are putting salt down I just won't wear leather shoes and bust out my Hunter wellies, but I'd love some tips on preventing the salt stains if I have to wear leather boots.

Reactions: RedLipstick2
The other night I ended up in a sloshy parking lot wearing a pair of relatively new leather boots. When I got home they were wet and didn't think much of it. But when they dried they were thoroughly salt-stained. Ahh! I doused them in Wilson's Leather Lotion and scrubbed for about 5-10 minutes, changing the rags frequently. Voila! Today they look good as new.

Anyone else have any tips for keeping leather boots looking nice in bad weather?

I got my car stuck in the snow, my dumb mistake, and got my nice boots wet and it left stains. Thanks for the tip.