Help for peeling nails!

I totally flip if I get a manicure and they whip out one of those super coarse files like they use on acrylics. I cringe and pull my hand away! LOL!
It's makes my hair stand on end, LOL!

I totally flip if I get a manicure and they whip out one of those super coarse files like they use on acrylics. I cringe and pull my hand away! LOL!
It's makes my hair stand on end, LOL!

I agree! I can almost hear it on my nails now!! ::shudder::

I actually will sometimes bring my own file just in case haha. I bring my Nailtiques and have them use it as a base coat. I also sometimes bring my own top coat too...:blush: But I'm extra nice and tip well! Promise! Hehe.

I just wanted to bump this thread as I finally found something that works. My nails peel and break horribly in the winter -- even with polish on them. In desperation I picked up the new Sally Hansen Continuous Treatment Hardening formula (a square shape pink bottle). I've been using it for 2 weeks (every other day on bare nails) and now have nicely shaped, strong nails with no peeling! If any of you ladies are still having this issue, I recommend you try this new formula.

I've been using NailAid peeling nail intense repair gel and have had some luck with it... I've also purchased a super fine nail file and have been filing my nails gently and only buffing from cuticle to tip rather than side to side... on/off with polish and remover seems to be the worst thing at the moment but these two things have definitely helped me!

can anyone recommend a product in the UK or that ships to the UK? i've tried essie 'billionails' all the nailtiques line, nail envy , CND, zoya, qtica....basically i've tried a shedload of brands and nothing. the second my nails get long they peel like crazy.

i am starting back up again w/biotin but anyone in europe have a HG basecoat? i'm all good on topcoats....basecoats are my problem and it makes blogging hard (although i know that's a cause for the peeling, so much swatching!)

I've had thin peeling nails all my life. I've tried every product out there including those mentioned in the previous posts. The only product that works for me is Rejuvocote which is by Duri. It can be purhased at most beauty supplies, ebay or on their website www.duri.com. It takes a few weeks before it shows results.

I also couldn't live without my crystal nail file and bring one with me when I have a professional manicure.

I have heard great things for Sally Hansen Nail Quencher base coat, and I have used Jessica Bend Don't break myself and am very happy with it. I think for nails that peel you don't need nail hardeners since the nail is usually strong and peels due to it being unflexible, you actually need something that moisturizes so nails don't become brittle.

my nails peel too...my fingernails. weird thing is, I have super strong (weapon like) nails that grow very fast. I was told that peeling nails is a result of them drying out. I absolutely LOVE gold bond ultimate healing lotion...available at any drug store. it's very thick, & you can feel it even the next day.

I rarely paint my fingernails any more due to the peeling, but I keep my toenails painted. this is my procedure: I remove nail polish & immediately slather on a generous amount of gold bond rubbing it into the nails & all around the nails. about an hour or 2 later (after the gold bond has soaked in quite a bit), I rub in a generous amount of cocoa butter lotion. I leave my nails unpainted for at least 12 hours to give them a "rest," & I keep applying the cocoa butter lotion as often as I remember...I usually do this step overnight. I try to apply the gold bond & cocoa butter at least an hour before I apply nail polish again.

I change my polish 2 or 3 times per week, but I apply the new color over the old to save my nails from the drying remover. I try to use NP remover only once per week. another tPFer recommended sally hansen's triple strong advanced nail gel fortifier. it's supposed to be moisturizing, & I like it so far.

I need some major S.O.S. my fingers and toes. I'm not sure why just now, after so many years of back to back polish, my nails and toes are becoming uncontrollably flaky and peeling.

I used one of those 7 way buffers and they still peeled. Has anyone taken their own nails back from the brink of horrible, to happy and smooth?

I'd love to know what you did/products used.

Thanks in advance for the MUCH needed help!

I find that helping my nails "breathe" between manicures for at least 12 hours really helps. Besides that, limiting the amount of acetone used on the nails (have you tried peel off base coats? My nails have become MUCH stronger by barely using acetone, and I don't get as much stainage either). Last but not least, maybe you shouldn't buffer when your nails are in such a fragile state?

I find that helping my nails "breathe" between manicures for at least 12 hours really helps. Besides that, limiting the amount of acetone used on the nails (have you tried peel off base coats? My nails have become MUCH stronger by barely using acetone, and I don't get as much stainage either). Last but not least, maybe you shouldn't buffer when your nails are in such a fragile state?

That peel off base sounds interesting. I actually only buffered them before my last manicure, to smooth out the bumps and lumps from the peeling which has started in the last few manicures.

I've been using a non-acetone polish remover. They are just soooooo dry lately. Maybe I need to give a day in between removal and really layer on the hand creme with some gloves overnight.