Help for a newbie...advice on magnolia?

jc0812

Apr 22, 2008
Hi all! I'm a relative Treesje newbie (just bought the grey Marley at the Nordies sale) and have my sights set on either a bordeaux or oceano magnolia next. I see that they are available for pre order through some boutiques. Do you think I should go ahead and pre order now or wait until they are released and see if any good deals come up? I know the magnolia is a popular style and I don't want to risk not being able to get one, but I also want a good deal if that's possible. Also, if I order now, do any boutiques take any codes? TIA!

Shopdressonline has the Oceano Magnolia, and their 20% off "treesje20" code should still be valid, though I'm not sure when it expires. Aster Alice also still has their 20% off "welcome" code that should be valid on pre-orders and on Treesje until the end of July. (Email their CS about it if you encounter any issues, they allowed it for me.) You can use AC points too, if you have any, which makes it a better deal. I know LB is taking pre-orders on the Oceano and Bordeaux Magnolias too, but I don't think they have any valid codes right now. As for other boutiques, not sure if there are codes!

As for whether or not you ought to go for it, it's definitely up to you: how badly you want the bag and your personal willingness to pay. If you really want one very badly and don't mind paying full price for it, it may in fact be a good idea to take advantage of the remaining codes right now (at SDO and AA) to get a slightly better deal at 20% off. OTOH, if your personal willingness to pay just isn't that high, and you may come to regret paying that much for the bag right now, it may be a good idea to wait and see if better deals come along. (This is also where an "if it's meant to be, it'll be" attitude towards bag-buying comes in handy! ;))

Oh, another thing you may want to consider is checking the current remaining quantities at various stores. (You can usually do this by adding the item to your cart and then increasing the quantities until you get an error message.) Even for pre-orders, it should still give you an idea of how many bags a store will have left once the bag is actually in stock, and hence whether or not the remaining stock may go quickly. This may help you with determining how badly you want the bag, I guess! :smile: HTH!

Thanks for the taking the time to respond thoroughly starkfan! I'll take your suggestions and see where to go from there. It's one of my must-haves for fall so I'm willing to pay close to retail for it. Do you personally think 20% is a decent price?

Thanks for the taking the time to respond thoroughly starkfan! I'll take your suggestions and see where to go from there. It's one of my must-haves for fall so I'm willing to pay close to retail for it. Do you personally think 20% is a decent price?

20% is about the best your going to get on a new Fall bag as most that are just coming out have no codes at all. Some of the hotter bags sell out quickly so if you are afraid of losing it I wouldn't wait.

My personal general rule of thumb is probably 25% off at minimum for bags in this price range (~$5-600 MSRP), but I must add a disclaimer that this is from the perspective of someone who still needs to account for international shipping costs and possible customs duties! Without those concerns (especially since stores like SDO and AA have free US shipping!), yep, I think 20% off is a pretty decent discount already, particularly if it's for a bag that you really want. I also personally feel that Treesje's quality is still quite worth it at shallower discounts like 20-25% too, though this is of course highly subjective. :P

I am dying for an Oceano Magnolia as well... But my issue is I'm just about positive the Magnolia is too big for me... I am waiting for the day the Mini Magnolia comes out!!

Thanks for the insight ladies! I think I will take the plunge pretty soon. I really, really want a magnolia and think 20% off is a fair price, if the quality is good (and it sounds like it is based on what you have said).

Now, a slightly different question...do you ladies like oceano or bordeaux more? I admit that I have lots of wine/burgundy/purple bags so I'm leaning towards oceano.

Thanks for the insight ladies! I think I will take the plunge pretty soon. I really, really want a magnolia and think 20% off is a fair price, if the quality is good (and it sounds like it is based on what you have said).

Now, a slightly different question...do you ladies like oceano or bordeaux more? I admit that I have lots of wine/burgundy/purple bags so I'm leaning towards oceano.

Take into account that the Oceano is a dark dark blue (almost Navy). Some sites including the Shopdressonline is having it look medium blue because of the Flash. Here is a Pic comparing the 2 colors.

IMG_1034.JPG

Ooh, tough call... If the dark blue is a colour that can work well in your wardrobe and that you wouldn't hesitate about wearing, I think I'd vote for Oceano, to add a little variety to your bag collection, particularly if you have other bags that are very close in colour to the Bordeaux. OTOH, if you lean away from blue for a good reason, stick with what works, KWIM? I do think the Oceano Magnolia is very lovely, and since pics of it are out there, you know what to expect (rather than trying to envision the exact bag in a particular colour, which you have to do with the Bordeaux Magnolia right now). If a dark blue/navy like Oceano can fit in your wardrobe, go for Oceano! ;)

jc--I am having the exact same debate in my head....oceano or bordeaux? ... oceano or bordeaux? ... aarugh--I must be losing my mind! LOL...but really I don't think we can go wrong with either!

jc - I tend to gravitate toward similar things. :nogood: step away from bordeau...you have wine & burgundy which are in the same family. Diversify and go for oceano, it looks so pretty and very wearable.

jc--I am having the exact same debate in my head....oceano or bordeaux? ... oceano or bordeaux? ... aarugh--I must be losing my mind! LOL...but really I don't think we can go wrong with either!

I totally agree. I think both these colors are so versatile. I could prob wear either one w/ most outfits in my wardrobe. Can't wait to get my hands on a magnolia.....