Help! First B and two HG options, but can’t decide!!

Noveltwist

Mar 17, 2019
I’ve been stalking this forum for weeks on end and finally have the opportunity to get Birkin preloved in my HG combos!! But I can only get one...

B35 gold PHW togo
OR
B35 etoupe GHW swift

These two colors and hardwares are my HG combos! I like contrasting cool and warm with hardware, so these options are great neutrals for me. I wear a lot of tan trench coats and pea coats, and mostly black pants and blouses to work.

I want a Birkin as a work bag because for the price, I want it to be my workhorse! Other than color and hardware, weight is also important to me. I love the look of Togo because I prefer textured leather, but I hear Swift if very lightweight (but maybe less carefree?).

I think the gold togo is ultimately my most desired “look” but if it’s too heavy for me to use for work and carrying a laptop, I don’t want it to just sit in my closet! I definitely tend to use my most practical bags the most, even if there are others in my collection I like the look of more.

What has been your experiences? Would you go with the bag you like the leather of more, or the bag that you might use more because of weight?

I really don’t think the weight is going to be different enough for you to pick one over your perfect combo. I have 3 B35s that I use as workhorses and carry my stuff to work every day. One is a barenia faubourg with PHW, so very close to your togo gold/phw option. It’s an excellent color combo that is easy to use.

I have no issue with the weight, but I also drive to work and don’t spend more that a few minutes at a time lugging it around. I think if I had a walking compute I would consider a different option, but for me it is perfect!

I really don’t think the weight is going to be different enough for you to pick one over your perfect combo. I have 3 B35s that I use as workhorses and my stuff to work every day. One is a barenia faubourg with PHW, so very close to your togo gold/phw option. It’s an excellent color combo that is easy to use.

I have no issue with the weight, but I also drive to work and don’t spend more that a few minutes at a time lugging it around. I think if I had a walking compute I would consider a different option, but for me it is perfect!

Thanks your your input! I adore your B35 collection, so glad to hear you use them for work as well! I think our style is similar as well! Though I’m much shorter [emoji30].

I drive to work occasionally, but I also take the train sometimes, and have a 10 minute walk after the train ride (were there’s not always seating! [emoji31]).

I’m also debating if I should really just get a Garden Party in gold or etoupe, because it’s way lighter and I can sort of fit it under my arm if needed. But then I feel like I would still buy a B eventually, and the money would’ve been better saved for the B!!

If it gets too heavy, why don’t you shoulder carry your laptop and work related things on a discreet leather tote or a pretty laptop bag and carry your Birkin as an everyday handbag?
I know my idea defeats the purpose of what you originally wanted, but at least you can comfortably carry your stuff to work and still wear a Birkin as an everyday bag...
And I think you should get the gold one ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: lulilu
Gold Togo PHW. Gold Clemence PHW was my first Birkin and absolutely versatile as an everyday work bag; the only possibly more versatile color would be black. My everyday work bags are 35 cm Birkins in Noir Togo with PHW and Fauve Barenia with PHW plus 36 cm Garden Parties in Noir and Gold.

Swift is tougher than advertised but not for a B35, and I wouldn't carry a laptop in a Swift bag...Swift can stretch and dent more than Togo IMO. Togo is a great workhorse leather.

Regarding weight, I actually have a similar commute, either car or long train ride plus a walk, and a B35 is fine. I would not want to carry it every day for an hour's walk with a laptop inside but 15-20 minutes is no problem.

If it gets too heavy, why don’t you shoulder carry your laptop and work related things on a discreet leather tote or a pretty laptop bag and carry your Birkin as an everyday handbag?
I know my idea defeats the purpose of what you originally wanted, but at least you can comfortably carry your stuff to work and still wear a Birkin as an everyday bag...
And I think you should get the gold one ;)

I’d really prefer one bag, otherwise it’d be too finicky. But I think you’re right, the gold seems the way to go!

Gold Togo PHW. Gold Clemence PHW was my first Birkin and absolutely versatile as an everyday work bag; the only possibly more versatile color would be black. My everyday work bags are 35 cm Birkins in Noir Togo with PHW and Fauve Barenia with PHW plus 36 cm Garden Parties in Noir and Gold.

Swift is tougher than advertised but not for a B35, and I wouldn't carry a laptop in a Swift bag...Swift can stretch and dent more than Togo IMO. Togo is a great workhorse leather.

Regarding weight, I actually have a similar commute, either car or long train ride plus a walk, and a B35 is fine. I would not want to carry it every day for an hour's walk with a laptop inside but 15-20 minutes is no problem.

Thank you! This is super helpful to know you have a similar commute! Train rides aren’t so bad, unless you can’t get a seat and are forced to hand carry or put the bag on the floor [emoji30].

I think you’re right about laptop weight and Swift. I’m afraid the handles may stretch.

Do you like / use your GP 36 as much as your B35? I’m seriously thinking of GP now in gold or etoupe because it’s also more low profile, and I can practice top handle holding (before I commit to a B...). I currently use an LV neverfull, which I enjoy but want to switch it up!

I’ve been stalking this forum for weeks on end and finally have the opportunity to get Birkin preloved in my HG combos!! But I can only get one...

B35 gold PHW togo
OR
B35 etoupe GHW swift

These two colors and hardwares are my HG combos! I like contrasting cool and warm with hardware, so these options are great neutrals for me. I wear a lot of tan trench coats and pea coats, and mostly black pants and blouses to work.

I want a Birkin as a work bag because for the price, I want it to be my workhorse! Other than color and hardware, weight is also important to me. I love the look of Togo because I prefer textured leather, but I hear Swift if very lightweight (but maybe less carefree?).

I think the gold togo is ultimately my most desired “look” but if it’s too heavy for me to use for work and carrying a laptop, I don’t want it to just sit in my closet! I definitely tend to use my most practical bags the most, even if there are others in my collection I like the look of more.

What has been your experiences? Would you go with the bag you like the leather of more, or the bag that you might use more because of weight?

Nice choice either BUT if u want to use it as workhorse, CHOOSE TOGO. Swift WILL scratch, even IMO takes colour much better and has a sheen of luxury. Good luck!

Reactions: Noveltwist
Thank you! This is super helpful to know you have a similar commute! Train rides aren’t so bad, unless you can’t get a seat and are forced to hand carry or put the bag on the floor [emoji30].

I think you’re right about laptop weight and Swift. I’m afraid the handles may stretch.

Do you like / use your GP 36 as much as your B35? I’m seriously thinking of GP now in gold or etoupe because it’s also more low profile, and I can practice top handle holding (before I commit to a B...). I currently use an LV neverfull, which I enjoy but want to switch it up!
The handles are probably the strongest part of the bag. From my experience with my own Swift B, it looks like it’s the leather around the handles, where the handles attach to the bag that looks like it gets ‘stretched’.

Thanks your your input! I adore your B35 collection, so glad to hear you use them for work as well! I think our style is similar as well! Though I’m much shorter [emoji30].

I drive to work occasionally, but I also take the train sometimes, and have a 10 minute walk after the train ride (were there’s not always seating! [emoji31]).

I’m also debating if I should really just get a Garden Party in gold or etoupe, because it’s way lighter and I can sort of fit it under my arm if needed. But then I feel like I would still buy a B eventually, and the money would’ve been better saved for the B!!

This is wise thinking. As others have advised a few ounces or grams in the weight with different leathers won't make much difference. It depends mainly on what you choose to carry and a laptop is probably going to be the item that makes your bag heavy. Thinking of a Garden Party makes a lot of sense and there is a wide range of easily available options with that style. Yes, a GP would take up a third of your B budget, but it would be a bag you can confidently use and enjoy daily whilst you build up for some more funds for your B.

I used to use my Noir GP ALL the time. It's a bit better than a B for carrying a laptop as the handles are thicker and overall the bag holds more. But the B is more badass looking :smile: what can I say?

The thing about the Neverfull vis-avis these H bags is that it is made to wear on the shoulder. I wear my GPs on the shoulder but it's definitely not how the bag was intended to be worn. Same with the Birkin.

You will see lots of lamenting in the forum that Hermès has not made a proper laptop bag for women with a shoulder carry option, and this is sadly true. In the end a lot of us end up with either a large tote like a GP.... or a laptop sleeve and our daily "purse".

I would not carry a laptop regularly in my 35Bs. A GP is a better option.

I would choose togo over swift because of the weight you plan to put in it. My swift bags have worn like iron, have never gotten scratches, but I do think that the leather might stretch out of shape.