Help finding a J Crew coat

Rain-

It's worth it to wait till January! You have to check the site right after Christmas and all throughout January-amazing deals. You have to be vigilant though, especially in the smaller sizes. If you find the perfect item at the perfect price-don't continue shopping around the site as you may lose the item. Purchase immediately...shipping be what it may. J. Crew doesn't hold items in your cart, and others can buy them out from under you-learned this the hard way.

Gatsby-lol... I bought a Lady Day Coat last January for $140.00ish! Crazy! Also bought another coat. DF thought I was nuts..

My real 'problem' is is the cashmere....I live in it, and have way too many. They recently added some colors/styles, and I'm already plotting my next Cashmere haul.:smile:
Oh Cecilia, you cannot imagine how I know your pain! I have over 100 cashmere sweaters. I have them stacked by color and several I have not yet worn! I've been "collecting" from J. Crew for almost four years. It seems to time with when Mickey Drexler joined and they came out with the first "British themed" catalog. I even collect the catalogs and have virtually every one since July of 2004. I have so many sweaters that I've been focusing on their jackets this fall but I agree on the new colors, I like the heather pine, the bright poppy, the punch and possibly the heather coral. But I know if I am patient, I might be able to get them for $80 or $99. by waiting until January. Sometimes I break though and just get them!

The Lady Day coat is by far their most flattering. I have it in black (two) and navy. Sometimes I think I need the white but think it's more that I like the look in the pictures as not very practical. Loving the little hooded jacket in black and white right now since I am in Seattle, would help save my hair. Those will sell out though, don't think they will make the post holiday sales.

Cecilia's right though, the Plaza coat has come out every year, I think it will be there in January. That said, I would choose the red Lady Day. But it will probably sell out before January in that color :smile:

Rain if you want to know how many they have of the coat you like, you can track it this way: J. Crew will allow you to put up to nine of any one item in your cart. If they have nine, they may have fifty. If they have less than nine, it will show as backorder. The backorders will happen most of the time but not always. Often they use the backorder status with the hopes of filling the order with returns. If no one returns the item, you don't get your backorder, unless they genuinely were planning to order more. As an example, if you were to add nine red Plaza coats in your preferred size to your cart, maybe with and without thinsulate, you can refresh every day (or more often) to see if it is selling out. If you want it enough to pay full price and it starts showing backorder, you change the quantity in your cart to eight, seven and so on. Once it's down to three or four, you have to decide, like eBay. Will they get more or a return in your size, that's the question. I've seen styles and colors of some of their items sell out in a matter of hours, while other items have nine the entire season and you can expect they will go on sale. Your chances are further improved if they carry the items in the store as those may ultimately make it online.

Once it goes on sale, you have to check the sale items at about 6:45 to 7:00 a.m. EST. I lived in Boston up until a few months ago and I would check sale items almost every morning, got three summerweight cashmere sweaters for $50. each once. Now that I am on the West Coast, I need to get up at 3:45 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. to see the best of the sale items.

They typically put items on sale Wednesdays or Thursdays. If it disappears from their regular inventory, it will likely appear as a sale item the following morning. If you have it in your cart, it will appear at the sale price right away. But if it was marked down and you don't have it in your cart, you may not be able to bring it up until the following morning when it all goes on sale in the sale inventory.

Sale items are loaded between 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 am. EST. You will know they are refreshing what appears to be a batch system when all the items in your basket show as "Pending". It just means they have taken their system offline to refresh. Unusual that a batch system is so obviously unavailable in this era, but knowing how it works helps.

They load new sale items pretty much on Tuesdays through Saturday mornings. Rarely have I seen new sale inventory loaded on Sunday or Monday mornings and often one of the other days does not get new items.

So...long story, but that is a way to try to get your Plaza coat on sale - by tracking it:smile: I only know this much about their system because I have learned through buying a ridiculous amount of J. Crew clothing! Buying as much as I have, I try to save where I can and will pay full price when I have to because it will be gone very soon or if I just "have" to have it soon!

Gatsby-Your J Crew knowledge is astounding! As a west coaster, I'm always late to the party on sale morning. Thanks for the tips...I will use them!

Rain-I'm sort of knowledgeable re J Crew, but international orders...I don't know too much. Looks like Gatsby has the best plan. Good Luck!

Other than eBay then, I can't imagine how you can get a J. Crew coat without using J. Crew stores or online. Is there anyone who would be willing to receive the coat for you and ship internationally? Family, friends or your work?

I have the Plaza Coat in Cream and Black , The style is really popular , it is considered a classic style , try looking at Macy's or Nordstroms for a similar style

Opps sorry I did not realize that you don't live in the States