Help filing dispute with bank.. (continued)

Loco for Coco

Among Others!
Jun 26, 2010
Hi all,

I purchased a bag in early April that ended up being fake, so I opened a dispute with PayPal. They requested that I return the bag (though I now see several posts where others have been asked to destroy it which would have been much easier) and it's been held up in customs. PayPal closed the dispute in the seller's favor stating that the tracking information was "invalid." When I called to speak with a PayPal rep on the phone, she explained that they cannot keep a case open for more than 30 days, so that is why they deemed the tracking number invalid; not because it is truly an invalid number. I raised my concerns with her of the package either 1. being rejected or 2. never leaving customs and she said there is nothing they can do. She only suggested that I continue to monitor the tracking number and if the status changed, to notify them and they could potentially reopen the case.

My next thought was to try to dispute the charge with my bank directly since that is where the funding for PayPal was withdrawn from. I spoke with someone over the phone at a local branch to determine what forms need to be completed/evidence needs to be provided. The rep informed me that because I authorized PayPal to withdraw the funds, there is nothing they can do! I am obviously not satisfied with this response and will be going into the branch in person to speak with someone, but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and can offer some advice on what actions to take. I've seen several threads where a bank dispute has been suggested and has even resulted in a refund, so I'm hoping that the rep I first spoke with is misinformed. I'd like to go in there completely prepared if possible and appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance :flowers:

ETA: I bank with BB&T and they have a national presence, so it's not like I'm dealing with a hometown bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
PayPal will allow an appeal if the tracking information changes - it is held up in customs currently. I even called the USPS to discuss if/how I can reach where it is being held and they said there's nothing I can do but wait.

I know that the waiting must be hard, but once the tracking is updated, I'm sure the case can be re-opened.

On a side note, I am glad that PayPal asked you to return the bag. After reading so many scams involving claims of non-authenticity and a high-priced bag (supposedly authentic) was left up to the buyer to "destroy". I am not saying that is the case here, just that I wish PayPal was more consistent in these cases to make the buyer send the bags back.

Hi all,

I purchased a bag in early April that ended up being fake, so I opened a dispute with PayPal. They requested that I return the bag (though I now see several posts where others have been asked to destroy it which would have been much easier) and it's been held up in customs. PayPal closed the dispute in the seller's favor stating that the tracking information was "invalid." When I called to speak with a PayPal rep on the phone, she explained that they cannot keep a case open for more than 30 days, so that is why they deemed the tracking number invalid; not because it is truly an invalid number. I raised my concerns with her of the package either 1. being rejected or 2. never leaving customs and she said there is nothing they can do. She only suggested that I continue to monitor the tracking number and if the status changed, to notify them and they could potentially reopen the case.

My next thought was to try to dispute the charge with my bank directly since that is where the funding for PayPal was withdrawn from. I spoke with someone over the phone at a local branch to determine what forms need to be completed/evidence needs to be provided. The rep informed me that because I authorized PayPal to withdraw the funds, there is nothing they can do! I am obviously not satisfied with this response and will be going into the branch in person to speak with someone, but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and can offer some advice on what actions to take. I've seen several threads where a bank dispute has been suggested and has even resulted in a refund, so I'm hoping that the rep I first spoke with is misinformed. I'd like to go in there completely prepared if possible and appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance :flowers:

ETA: I bank with BB&T and they have a national presence, so it's not like I'm dealing with a hometown bank.
was there a reason you mentioned "destroyed"?
is it too advantage for many scammed buyers using it to claim "faked" and kept the bag without pay for?!

Paypal was indeed take off the rule "destroy for faked" as too benefit for scammed buyers !!! as they were recently experienced from Chase bank withdrew the money back to the seller with "destroyed as faked!"

^ I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question ceya

I only mentioned that I wasn't asked to destory the bag as many others have been instructed to do to provide the full background. Had this been their solution, I obviously wouldn't be in this situation now, but since I was told to ship it back, I now have no additional recourse but to wait (and hope that they will allow an appeal if the bag is actually delivered) or file a dispute through my bank.

Has anyone had any experience with filing a dispute with the bank directly? This is my plan of action, but I am not familiar with the process, nor do I know for certain that I can actually do so.

Yes. I tried long long time ago with INR where seller showed item delivered to my zipcode ( i think more than million people reside in my zip). not to my address. he/she didnt print label online. Paypal ruled in seller's favor. I tried with my bank and they couldnt help me. this was 6 years ago. since then I NEVER use paypal balance or bank acct for my Ebay purchases, Only AmEx through Paypal. Live and learn. thankfully that purchase was only about $200, but still

was there a reason you mentioned "destroyed"?
is it too advantage for many scammed buyers using it to claim "faked" and kept the bag without pay for?!

Paypal was indeed take off the rule "destroy for faked" as too benefit for scammed buyers !!! as they were recently experienced from Chase bank withdrew the money back to the seller with "destroyed as faked!"
My thoughts exactly (sadly).
Just curious, what kind of bag was this?
I'm curious too.

Are you saying that Paypal ordered you to return it without proof that it was counterfeit or did you have it authenticated?

A link to the listing and seller history would be very helpful.

It was not an eBay transaction unfortunately - just an online purchase with PayPal as an accepted form of payment. I cannot update PayPal with my tracking information as nothing has changed since their ruling; this is why I was hoping I had some sort of recourse through my bank, but have no experience with this. When I first filed the dispute, PayPal instructed me to return the bag within 5 days and to provide the tracking information. At the end of the 30 day period (their imposed limit I assume), they closed the case in the seller's favor since the tracking hadn't shown "delivered" yet. I was never informed of a 30 day limit - the only email I received was that the case was under review, stating that PayPal may contact me for additional details, and then notification when it was closed. So when I called and spoke with someone directly, I was told to continue to watch the tracking number and once it shows as delivered, they can open an appeal. My concern is that it may never be delivered because the seller could refuse it, customs could hold it, etc.

It was a Louis Vuitton for those who asked.

It was not an eBay transaction unfortunately - just an online purchase with PayPal as an accepted form of payment. I cannot update PayPal with my tracking information as nothing has changed since their ruling; this is why I was hoping I had some sort of recourse through my bank, but have no experience with this. When I first filed the dispute, PayPal instructed me to return the bag within 5 days and to provide the tracking information. At the end of the 30 day period (their imposed limit I assume), they closed the case in the seller's favor since the tracking hadn't shown "delivered" yet. I was never informed of a 30 day limit - the only email I received was that the case was under review, stating that PayPal may contact me for additional details, and then notification when it was closed. So when I called and spoke with someone directly, I was told to continue to watch the tracking number and once it shows as delivered, they can open an appeal. My concern is that it may never be delivered because the seller could refuse it, customs could hold it, etc.

It was a Louis Vuitton for those who asked.

can we please see a screenshot of what the tracking currently says? that would be helpful :smile:

Sorry, I can't get a screenshot on my laptop for some reason. The information says:

Your item was accepted at 7:15 pm on April 21, 2011 in MERRIFIELD, VA 22081. No further information is available for this item.

I went into the PO in person about a week ago and they looked into the status for me through their system as well, but had no additional details. They gave me the USPS 800 number to call, and the woman I spoke with said that it was likely held up in customs, but she could not trace it beyond this because I guess once it reaches the other country, it is logged under a corresponding tracking number specific to the country's system. She said that the number I have would update once it was delivered.