Help! Everyday crossbody finals: YSL college medium, or Alma BB in epi?

Breadnbrie

Jun 11, 2016
This is a follow up to an earlier post asking opinions on a crossbody bag.

I started this search looking for a predominantly casual use, but potentially "everyday" crossbody that I can take with me traveling.

After much consideration, I've narrowed it down to 2:
  1. Alma BB in silver black epi. IMG_6102.PNG
  2. YSL College bag in anthracite. IMG_5972.PNG
My criteria for this purchase, in the order of most to least importance:
  1. Can go casual when I need it to. It should look right with a T shirt, skinny jeans or shorts, and sandals or slip on sneakers. I'll borrow a term here from a kind member at the LV forum in my last thread. This bag needs to be able to do "casual casual" in addition to "fab casual". I live in an LA beach city, and my style does reflect it. I notice that some of my satchel bags, with the exception of my LV canvas pieces and balenciagas, look funny when paired with my weekend wear, especially in warmer weather, which is pretty much 9-10/12 months.
  2. Durable. This will be my go-to crossbody for the next ~10 years, through travels and kids, hopefully.
  3. Will also go with the majority of my office wear.
  4. Classic-looking.
My thoughts on both so far:
  1. Alma BB. The more casual option, but also very versatile. I love the durability, low maintenance materials, and timelessness, and I can see myself continuing to love this bag 10+ years from now, and most importantly, using it.
  2. YSL college. What I feel for this bag is just pure lust! Lol. Just a gorgeous bag. It will go great with my office/winter wear, but I struggle to see myself using it with my very casual warm weather outfits; I think it's the chain strap. Though the YSL threads say it does hold up to daily use, I probably would baby this more. I also have concerns as to durability long term. For that price tag, I need it to last.
What are your thoughts?

My advice:
1. Try before you buy. The Alma BB is quite compact. As someone on the LV forum said, they got tired of playing bag tetris!
2. The YSL bag looks FABULOUS. I believe it can go both casual and elegant (much like Chanel flap). However, make sure that the chain is not heavy/doesn't bite into the shoulder. The older I get, the lighter I want my bag to be :smile:

Reactions: Breadnbrie
My advice:
1. Try before you buy. The Alma BB is quite compact. As someone on the LV forum said, they got tired of playing bag tetris!
2. The YSL bag looks FABULOUS. I believe it can go both casual and elegant (much like Chanel flap). However, make sure that the chain is not heavy/doesn't bite into the shoulder. The older I get, the lighter I want my bag to be :smile:
Agree. Try them both. Bag Tetris:lol:

I would vote the YSL. I think it can easily do casual casual to fab casual. I have Miss Dior sliding chain bags (quilted bags with a chain strap) and they look great from running around casual to date night. I think the YSL can pull that off as well because of the size. If it was the bigger one I would say it wouldn't work for super casual.

Reactions: Breadnbrie
My advice:
Thank you for your reply! I've tried on the Alma BB before, it's a good size for me for what I plan to carry during travel. Definitely no bag Tetris for me! Haha. I'll try on the college bag as well for sure.

Between the two, I personally would go for the Alma. The silver and black pattern looks very cute.
Thanks, I was leaning Alma for practicality and durability. I plan on seeing the black silver pattern in person as well!

Agree. Try them both. Bag Tetris:lol:

I would vote the YSL. I think it can easily do casual casual to fab casual. I have Miss Dior sliding chain bags (quilted bags with a chain strap) and they look great from running around casual to date night. I think the YSL can pull that off as well because of the size. If it was the bigger one I would say it wouldn't work for super casual.
Good point about the size. I looked up photos of the College medium with casual outfits and it looks great. I guess my hesitation is more a question of durability years down the road, combined with the fact that it's significantly more expensive than the Alma. If I could get both, I would!

My vote goes to the Alma in Epi if you are looking for something longterm
I guess my fixation with durability and timelessness with this particular purchase, is that unlike my usual mid-size satchel totes, I don't buy small cross bodies often. This will be my second and probably last for a while. I do love how the silver and black pattern adds just enough of an edgy twist to a classic!

My first reaction seeing the two photos is that the YSL had this "wow" factor. The LV looks trendy and although cute, I don't think it will transition as easily from occasion to occasion.
Yep, this definitely has the wow factor all right! I'm just having doubts now as to the quality; there's a thread on quality issues in saint laurent bags that gives me pause, although some college bags have held up. I also find it interesting that you see the Alma as trendy in comparison to the YSL. I see the YSL as young, hip, and trendy, and the Alma as traditional, except for the silver finish which adds a contemporary flair.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I decided I just can't get past my fear of quality issues/spotty customer service with saint laurent, especially at that price tag, so I've ruled out the college bag.

But now I'm trying to decide between the Alma BB epi, and the Alma BB in Damier ebene.

Thanks again!

If you are debating on Alma in silver/black epi or damier ebene, I would go for damier ebene. While the silver/black epi is pretty, I think that combination is trendy. If you really want an epi Alma that would stand the test of time, I would suggest a single color epi (not a combo color). The damier ebene Alma will definitely stand the test of time better then a multi-color epi Alma. So I suggest damier ebene Alma OR an epi Alma in a single color. Also, epi leather is very durable so an epi Alma might last longer then a canvas Alma. Just a thought.