Help! Dye missing at one seam of my new kelly

FancyMeFresh

Dec 14, 2015
I recently purchased a preowned Togo kelly in gold in excellent condition. The previous owner must have stored it unstuffed while standing up, so the bottom of the bag is slouches in a bit. When I push out the slouch I noticed that dye is missing from one of the seams. Is there a way to fix this? Is this normal? I purchased it with the blessing of babebebi so I am sure it's authentic. How much would this bother you? When the bag is in the slouchy position, it is not that noticeable. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_4220.JPG
    IMG_4220.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 904

tonkamama

Tonka forever lives in my ❤️
O.G.
Jul 20, 2010
I recently purchased a preowned Togo kelly in gold in excellent condition. The previous owner must have stored it unstuffed while standing up, so the bottom of the bag is slouches in a bit. When I push out the slouch I noticed that dye is missing from one of the seams. Is there a way to fix this? Is this normal? I purchased it with the blessing of babebebi so I am sure it's authentic. How much would this bother you? When the bag is in the slouchy position, it is not that noticeable. Please help!

Sorry about this.. Can you contact the seller and let them know about this and hear what they say about this "peeling"? IMO for the money spent on this bag should't look like this... Unless it was already mentioned in the listing?? Next you need to ask yourself ... Does it really bother you or you are going to get used to it?

If it does bother you and seller cannot take care of it for you then bring it to the nearest H boutique but you may end up paying for the repair....

honhon

O.G.
Jan 18, 2011
I found my HG gris tourtelle wallet but sadly had to return because the edges were like this and it bothered me. Is this the usual now with H's production? I thought it was just mine.
thats so funny because this birkin is GT too. initially when it was brand new the shagginess stood out more but with the usage the leather kind of gave in.

**Chanel**

Trying to b good ^_^
O.G.
Jan 31, 2009
Perhaps you can contact the seller about it to see if the seller can do something for you (if this issue was not described in the listing that is)?
Maybe that the seller will offer to pay for the spa costs?
It's obvious that it bothers you and I understand....it's a lot of money after all.
But if you send it to the spa, H. can touch it up. If you got the Kelly for a reasonable price, I would keep it, contact the seller about the issue and send it to the spa for a touch up ;).

Mindi B

Down Dog
O.G.
Jan 29, 2007
This looks to me less like missing dye and more like leather wear along a seam. While Hermes can almost certainly touch up the color, I wonder if it wil not recur, as this may be a function of the unique way this bag moves while in use.

If I may make a comment--directed at NO particular poster, but intended only as a general observation (this is my particular hobby horse; feel free to ignore me while I ride it for a moment :P): I am often surprised by the intensive attention and distress expressed at relative minutiae in the appearance of Hermes products. While I absolutely support the right of anyone paying Hermes prices to demand whatever level of perfection they wish, these are ultimately functional objects, composed of organic materials and made at least partially by hand. Total uniformity of color, texture, and cut can best be achieved by using synthetic materials assembled by computer-assisted machines, but that is not what Hermes is about.
By all means, if a defect in an Hermes item troubles the buyer, he or she should take whatever corrective action seems appropriate, but I really hope that at least occasionally, minor blemishes and irregularities can be embraced as an inevitable component of these OOAK pieces.

We now return to our normal programming.

FancyMeFresh

Dec 14, 2015
Thanks to all who have responded. The defect was not mentioned in the listing. The bag was purchased from Japan so it may be a bigger hassle to try to return/refund. I think that it was probably an oversight since it is more noticeable after I straighten out the slouch of the bag (since the bag slouches in a bit, it hides the seams). I do not live by an hermes store, how would I go about getting repaired? I contacted the seller and the manager was not in, so they said they would contact me again later tonight when he gets in. If I ask for a discount, does anyone know approximately how much fixing the bag would cost so I can tell the seller? Thanks again!

Hermesdiorduo

HDD
O.G.
Oct 14, 2012
thats so funny because this birkin is GT too. initially when it was brand new the shagginess stood out more but with the usage the leather kind of gave in.

Maybe it was just GT? The GT togo skin I got felt so dry when I touched it. Maybe because of the chemicals on the particular dye. Usually can't be bothered as I don't baby my things.. And it was my HG. Good that it turned out well for you Honhon :smile: GT is such a nice colour!

Hermesdiorduo

HDD
O.G.
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks to all who have responded. The defect was not mentioned in the listing. The bag was purchased from Japan so it may be a bigger hassle to try to return/refund. I think that it was probably an oversight since it is more noticeable after I straighten out the slouch of the bag (since the bag slouches in a bit, it hides the seams). I do not live by an hermes store, how would I go about getting repaired? I contacted the seller and the manager was not in, so they said they would contact me again later tonight when he gets in. If I ask for a discount, does anyone know approximately how much fixing the bag would cost so I can tell the seller? Thanks again!

Sorry to hear this, I think they should have addressed it in the listing. If you look under the hermes spa thread maybe they will know better how much it costs?

marbella8

O.G.
Jan 27, 2009
Last I checked an Hermes spa was $340 or something like that.

May I ask how much under retail you purchased the bag or over retail and what year it is? I think all of that goes to the reasonableness of asking or not asking for paying for the spa.

Rouge H

Exploring this land...one click at a time
May 4, 2013
This looks to me less like missing dye and more like leather wear along a seam. While Hermes can almost certainly touch up the color, I wonder if it wil not recur, as this may be a function of the unique way this bag moves while in use.

If I may make a comment--directed at NO particular poster, but intended only as a general observation (this is my particular hobby horse; feel free to ignore me while I ride it for a moment :P): I am often surprised by the intensive attention and distress expressed at relative minutiae in the appearance of Hermes products. While I absolutely support the right of anyone paying Hermes prices to demand whatever level of perfection they wish, these are ultimately functional objects, composed of organic materials and made at least partially by hand. Total uniformity of color, texture, and cut can best be achieved by using synthetic materials assembled by computer-assisted machines, but that is not what Hermes is about.
By all means, if a defect in an Hermes item troubles the buyer, he or she should take whatever corrective action seems appropriate, but I really hope that at least occasionally, minor blemishes and irregularities can be embraced as an inevitable component of these OOAK pieces.

:goodpost:

Mar 26, 2009

Ditto! I am often surprised at how people are obsessed with craftspersons' date code as well! :smile: