!help! dry splitting nails - Butter London Horespower or Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coa

sgw135

BrightenEveryJourney
Sep 24, 2009
hi girls!!

so i do my own nails - im quite the polish-a-holic :tender: and i typically change my color 2-3 times a week (i cant stand chips so i tend to change my color when i notice a chip 2 days in)

for the past umpteen months my nails have been splitting and peeling like crazy. and no base coat has helped (ive used OPI Nail Envy, Deborah Lippmann Rehydrating Base Coat, Essie Protein Base Coat, Nail EZEE Toughen Up, and most recently Butter London Horsepower Fertalizer)

I am looking to take some time off from nail polish :cry: and just focusing on healing my nails. My question is:

Do I stick with Butter London Horsepower and just use as directed (i had been using it with nail polish on top - so I would stop putting polish on and just use the strengthening formula)

Or do I use the Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat as a strengthener.

Or is there some miraculous product out there that I dont know about which I should be using instead. Thanks for the help girls - my nails appreciate all your advice!

hi girls!!

so i do my own nails - im quite the polish-a-holic :tender: and i typically change my color 2-3 times a week (i cant stand chips so i tend to change my color when i notice a chip 2 days in)

for the past umpteen months my nails have been splitting and peeling like crazy. and no base coat has helped (ive used OPI Nail Envy, Deborah Lippmann Rehydrating Base Coat, Essie Protein Base Coat, Nail EZEE Toughen Up, and most recently Butter London Horsepower Fertalizer)

I am looking to take some time off from nail polish :cry: and just focusing on healing my nails. My question is:

Do I stick with Butter London Horsepower and just use as directed (i had been using it with nail polish on top - so I would stop putting polish on and just use the strengthening formula)

Or do I use the Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat as a strengthener.

Or is there some miraculous product out there that I dont know about which I should be using instead. Thanks for the help girls - my nails appreciate all your advice!
hi, do you treat your cuticles to cream or oil daily? This always seems to help me when I start to notice my nails getting brittle and splitting. I use whatever I have on hand but try to treat my cuticles before bedtime and maybe during my lunch hour if i have the time.

Nailtique formula 2 and OPI avoplex help me a lot.

If my nails are really bad I put some soak off gel on. My nails stay strong and grow if I do this.

nutrihuney and jimmyshoogirl nope i dont use any cuticle oil or treatments or anything. any brand/product recommendations? i'll run out during lunch to pick it up haha :biggrin:

nutrihuney and jimmyshoogirl nope i dont use any cuticle oil or treatments or anything. any brand/product recommendations? i'll run out during lunch to pick it up haha :biggrin:

I use CND IN THE MORNING AND AT NIGHT. During the day if I notice my cuticles look dry I use Burt's Bees lemon butter cuticle balm. I personal don't think it matters the type of oil because any oil is better than none.

I also want to add that I always used some form of nail treatment because of breaking, peeling, etc. and nothing changed until I started consistently using oil.

i use LUSH lemony flutter (kinda smells like pledge at first but you get used to it), Qtica Cuticle Cream (you can find it at ULTA) or the Julep Hand & Cuticle Stick. Whatever is readily available is what I use at the moment. Some swear by lanolin cream like you use to soothe sore nipples from breast feeding. I think even hand cream in a pinch will work.

I found lemony flutter to be really greasy and the qtica one not so much.

Good Luck! Let us know what you go with...

I have LUSH lemony flutter but honestly i'm not a fan, has a very strong smell and is very greasy without being worth the grease i found. My secret santa gave me a bottle of CND's Solar Oil and i highly recommend it it has a light amond smell and it soaks into your skin and nails very quickly, i'm not sure if it helps with splitting and nails peeling because for the last six months or so as soon as i see some damage to a nail i use glue and silk wraps to protect the nail and allow the problem grow out. Ive also heard that soak off gel can help strengthen and allow nails to grow out any damage.

I have LUSH lemony flutter but honestly i'm not a fan, has a very strong smell and is very greasy without being worth the grease i found. My secret santa gave me a bottle of CND's Solar Oil and i highly recommend it it has a light amond smell and it soaks into your skin and nails very quickly, i'm not sure if it helps with splitting and nails peeling because for the last six months or so as soon as i see some damage to a nail i use glue and silk wraps to protect the nail and allow the problem grow out. Ive also heard that soak off gel can help strengthen and allow nails to grow out any damage.

the reviews on the Trind brand nail balsam and nail repair system are all raves. I'm wondering though if its just moisture i need or this system. i think my nails are strong they are just dry which results in splitting and peeling (they never break) so i guess im wondering if i need cuticle oil for nourishment (ie the CND solar oil) or if i should just go ahead and purchase the Trind products.

I have used Trind.. it is a miracle worker not only for cuticles but for nails
as well..

You can find it on line or just buy directly from the company..

will the nail repair work or do i need to use the nail repair along with the nail balsam (ive been researching and reviewing these products all morning)

the reviews on the Trind brand nail balsam and nail repair system are all raves. I'm wondering though if its just moisture i need or this system. i think my nails are strong they are just dry which results in splitting and peeling (they never break) so i guess im wondering if i need cuticle oil for nourishment (ie the CND solar oil) or if i should just go ahead and purchase the Trind products.

I cannot speak on the Trind system since i never tried it but I think with me my problem was that I lacked moisture. Sounds like the both of us have/had the same problem. If your nails are already strong but are dry and brittle I would try the oil first. Oil seems so simple but works so well. There are few ladies on here with beautiful nails and they all use oil on theirs, no nail treatments at all. To me buying a treatment system for something as simple as dry nails is equivalent to buying a new engine for a car when all you need is an oil change.

I cannot speak on the Trind system since i never tried it but I think with me my problem was that I lacked moisture. Sounds like the both of us have/had the same problem. If your nails are already strong but are dry and brittle I would try the oil first. Oil seems so simple but works so well. There are few ladies on here with beautiful nails and they all use oil on theirs, no nail treatments at all. To me buying a treatment system for something as simple as dry nails is equivalent to buying a new engine for a car when all you need is an oil change.

hmm good point!!! immediately after work im stopping and picking up the CND solar oil!!! hope this does the trick - i miss having pretty nails :girlsigh:

will the nail repair work or do i need to use the nail repair along with the nail balsam (ive been researching and reviewing these products all morning)

I use both the nail balsam & the cuticle balsam..

My nails are strong I just needed something to prevent
dryness & my thumbs kept breaking in the corners
This solved my problem & haven't had any issues

I also use an oil at night.. various ones like Barielle Julep,
& Koh

These products work exceptionally well...:smile:

They keep your nails mositurized to prevent drying & splitting..