Help! Dry, brittle, color-treated hair tips?!

I went to a terrible hairdresser who thinned my ends! Ugh. But I want to keep my hair long. It will be 9 months since I had my hair cut. I use 2 things to keep my color-treated semi-fried ends in good shape:

Shu Uermura Silk Bloom conditioner after shampooing. Then I use a bit of Caviar CC Cream 10 in 1 Complete Perfection. The Shu is so much $$. It is painful to buy but it lasts 4 months with daily washing. Do not buy this on Amazon. They sell fakes. I buy it directly from the Shu USA website. I bought the Caviar CC Cream at Sephora a year ago. It is 5 ounces and have only used half.

Also look in to Olaplex #3 for at home care. Also when getting your color in the salon, ask if the stylist is using Olaplex #1 and 2 with our services. These products make a world of difference in your hair.
YES! I was going to suggest the same. My hair looks and feels so healthy because of it and I am rough w my hair: bleach, hair drying and curling iron are used constantly. It really is not that expensive either. I bought #3 from Amazon. I also use Pureology. The purple one is the most conditioning.

Reactions: Emily1830
YES! I was going to suggest the same. My hair looks and feels so healthy because of it and I am rough w my hair: bleach, hair drying and curling iron are used constantly. It really is not that expensive either. I bought #3 from Amazon. I also use Pureology. The purple one is the most conditioning.
I wouldn't get it from Amazon, due to fakes. For authentic and guaranteed Olaplex, Sephora sells it as well as some salons

Reactions: baghagg
Stop washing daily. Unless your hair is extremely oily, there's no need for it, and it's damaging. My hair is very coarse, dry, color-treated, and I used to wash & heat style daily, my hair improved drastically once I cut back. Now I wash 2-3 times per week. My hair was in pretty bad shape, and

Look into a better-quality sulfate free shampoo for when you do wash. If you have access to Costco, their Kirkland Signature Moisture shampoo (made by Pureology) is amazing quality, sulfate free, and under $10. I'd use an extra mask/deep conditioner at least once a week, too.

If you're experiencing breakage, I'd definitely look into Olaplex and/or a protein treatment.

So I have stopped washing it daily!! It was an adjustment but I started to realize that it was more psychological than physical...plus the more people I asked the more I realized I was the only one washing it every day. The Olaplex is in the mail so I should be getting it soon. Will keep everyone updated! Thanks!

So I have stopped washing it daily!! It was an adjustment but I started to realize that it was more psychological than physical...plus the more people I asked the more I realized I was the only one washing it every day. The Olaplex is in the mail so I should be getting it soon. Will keep everyone updated! Thanks!
'Hopefully Olaplex will address your hair issues. Keep us posted on your results

Update: thanks everyone who gave me advice! I have been washing my hair every 2-3 days (3 days when I can stretch it), blow drying only on the "warm" setting, using Olaplex once a week as a treatment, and switched to using Pureology products to wash and condition.

I am happy to report that my hair looks great!! No more brittle hair or breakage. Turns out less is more for my hair!

Thank you everybody!!

Update: thanks everyone who gave me advice! I have been washing my hair every 2-3 days (3 days when I can stretch it), blow drying only on the "warm" setting, using Olaplex once a week as a treatment, and switched to using Pureology products to wash and condition.

I am happy to report that my hair looks great!! No more brittle hair or breakage. Turns out less is more for my hair!

Thank you everybody!!

Happy to "hair"

Reactions: baghagg

Thank you everybody!!

I was reading about your poor hair and I’m so happy to see that it’s getting better. The suggestion of not washing it everyday is the best advice ever. It is a horrible habit to get into and very hard to break but once you do your hair will thank you, as you can see, be giving you great hair days every day.

I've been coloring my hair for years & years and am noticing that my hair has become very dry and brittle. Now I do have greys so that accounts for some of the wiry strands. I've been using L'Oreal non foaming shampoo which does leave my hair fairly soft but when my hair dries it looks like dark brown straw! I've tried Briogio Don't Despair, Repair and it's doesn't do much. I don't like Argan oil as it does nothing for my hair, but I do like the Matrix Exquisite Oil which leave my hair soft and mostly tangle free. So although my hair feels okay, it looks very dry and gross!

Anyone with old frizzy hair have suggestions? Lower cost options preferred but all are welcome!

I have curly hair that tends to be dry. I don't wash often (twice a week max) and don't use a lot of heat on it. My hairdresser says my hair is in good condition for these reasons.
I use Garnier curl nourish shampoo and Garnier whole blends conditioner. They have several different formulas. I look for products that don't contain sulfates, parabens or silicones.

Reactions: LilMissCutie
I have curly hair that tends to be dry. I don't wash often (twice a week max) and don't use a lot of heat on it. My hairdresser says my hair is in good condition for these reasons.
I use Garnier curl nourish shampoo and Garnier whole blends conditioner. They have several different formulas. I look for products that don't contain sulfates, parabens or silicones.

Okay I may be on the right track since my L'Oreal has no sulfates or other junk. Weird that it has no lather though. I live in the tropics and my scalp gets stinky so I generally wash every other day but have stopped blow drying for the past month.

I'm probably looking for a magic wand, lol!

Okay I may be on the right track since my L'Oreal has no sulfates or other junk. Weird that it has no lather though. I live in the tropics and my scalp gets stinky so I generally wash every other day but have stopped blow drying for the past month.

I'm probably looking for a magic wand, lol!
I actually like shampoo that doesn't make a lot of suds. I have a lot of hair so rinsing out a lot of suds is time consuming.
You're on the right track cutting back on the heat.

The Garnier line of oils. I've been coloring my hair since I was maybe 14 (so over 20+ years now). I color it once every week and have for maybe the past 15 years. Crazy but true. I think it was always on the dry side but it's pretty dry and frizzy all the time now. Nothing will turn back the damage, even going super short, so might as well buy the cheaper products that work instead of the costly ones. The Garnier Sleek & Shine works very well for me, it lasts 1-2 days and makes it nice and shiny and frizz/dry free. The Garnier Marvelous Elixir is fairly good too, heavier. Hope those suggestions might help!

Reactions: sdkitty