Help! Doggy SOS

magen06

O.G.
May 25, 2007
My dog is just over five months old and is 5.1 pounds. She got spayed two days ago and came home yesterday. Before this she has not had problems with going to the bathroom inside in a long time. In the past two days she has been caught going in the living room at least 4 times, and she possibly has done more without us noticing. This is just not normal for her!
Also whenever she's being taken outside, she will squat to pee, on average, 8 times. She usually just does her business and trots back inside. I'm starting to get worried.
We thought maybe spraying the carpet down with the pet deodorizing spray might help. So we have cleaned up the entire living room hoping to eliminate smells to see if maybe that's what is triggering her inside.
Does anyone have any thoughts or has anyone experienced this before? I'm getting very worried about her.
Sorry for the novel, but I'm trying to provide details.

REALLY sounds like a UTI. You can get a urine sample and bring it to the vet without having to bring her back in. Hope she is feeling better soon.

I agree with the others about consulting your vet. However, just two days after a spay, you shouldn't leave any pet unsupervised. You want to keep a careful eye on her and make sure she isn't going to do anything to injure herself or pull her stitches out.

This happened shortly after we had Miso neutered awhile back. She had soiled her crate 2 nights in a row... I had also feared that she had developed incontinence, but everything went back to normal.. and we made sure she went out every couple of hours just to keep an eye on things.

I know this is out of left field, but my 6 mo old puppy was doing this a couple of weeks ago when I had company (not b/c she had just been spayed though). I was convinced it was a UTI since she's been house trained for a while now. Long story short, took her to the vet, got the results, & they came back neg for everything. Turns out, she was just stressed & that was causing her to act out. She was having accidents in my bed, in her bed, in the house, on my guest, on a person's head, everywhere. After my guest left, she was completely back to normal. Not saying it's one thing or another, but hopefully it's something like that and not the UTI. Hope everything turns out well with your lil pup!

Well we took her to the vet today and they put her on antibiotics. The vet explained that her kidneys (?? is that what's next to the ovaries? I'm not so good with anatomy) are inflamed from surgery and that's causing her to go more. She's doing much better today, though. She's back to her normal attitudes and only squatted 3 or less times outside. She roamed around with all my family today getting ready for a Christmas get together and never had an accident. I feel so much better knowing she feels better!

I'm really glad you took her to the vet and her problem's getting better. I was a little worried you were posting on here for answers instead. I have a saying, when in doubt, call the vet.
I also want to say good on you for getting her spayed. :smile: