HELP! Dilemma!! Choosing first Balenciaga (and designer bag) for my birthday

BagTroll

Jan 21, 2012
Greetings all. I'll just start off by saying that while I've been a lurker on this forum for quite a while now, admiring everyone's extensive and amazing collections, I've never really had a designer bag of my own (Unless you count a Michael Kors bag gifted to me by my dear aunt) due to concerns over the cost (Especially on a student budget), which you may know, is certainly by no means affordable.

However, I recently managed to do quite well in my studies and received a scholarship :smile:, in addition to that, I have quite a significant "milestone" birthday coming up soon, so my parents are agreeing to fund the hefty cost of a Balenciaga. Now unfortunately, I'm going to have to go through the pre-owned route, seeing as the budget limit is US$1000.

Thankfully, I was able to find two relatively new pre-owned bags for sale that adhere to this budget. Wherein I now have my dilemma. I am currently choosing between a 2012 Gris Poivre RG City which has been owned for a year and has been gently used by the owner at $850, and a Black Silver Edge chevre City at a more considerable $1300.

My main requirements for a bag is one that is:
- durable enough to withstand daily use (I don't abuse my bags, but I don't baby them either),
- classic enough to stand the test of time, (not too trendy and not too boring).
-neutral enough to be paired with most outfits

I am also quite conflicted between the lambskin of the Gris Poivre and the Hamilton leather on the Edge city.

Bearing in mind that the Edge City is newer but more expensive, I want to know which one may be more "worth it" for the value and more suited to my needs. I don't plan to ever resell it and I want to know what you experts think, based on your experience or your observations.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think the asking price of the edge is pretty good imo. Offering $1000 might get you blocked. After fees etc that is an awful price for a rare limited edition bag. $850 for a rggh GP City is low.....how much wear does it have? Gris P is a lighter leather and will continue to show more wear.....I would go for black. The metal edge edition is gorgeous!

I think the asking price of the edge is pretty good imo. Offering $1000 might get you blocked. After fees etc that is an awful price for a rare limited edition bag. $850 for a rggh GP City is low.....how much wear does it have? Gris P is a lighter leather and will continue to show more wear.....I would go for black. The metal edge edition is gorgeous!
I completely agree with MAGJES and that $1300 for the Black Silver Edge chevre City is a very fair, equitable, and actually a really good price, especially when you consider that it is a rare, highly sought after, and limited edition bag and when you take into compassionate consideration the fees that the seller will incur. Also, it will be more durable and versatile and be able to withstand more wear without showing signs of extensive use. I would sell some things from your closet that you are not wearing/using/loving anymore and raise the additional funds if you are able to. I wish you all the best and an abundance of blessings and lucidity in making your decision. :smile:

I have a metal edge Balenciaga (buy in the blue/real colour) and I absolutely adore it. It's my first and only Balenciaga. I love it so much cause I know it's special and one of a kind. The special hardware makes it unique and separates it from other Balenciaga bags. I don't regret the purchase at all. I highly recommend the same for you. It's also made out of the chèvre leather which is super durable which ticks off one of the points in your requirements list. I think it definitely worth the extra $300 investment on your part and that's a really good price considering I got mine for ~$2500 (but new). Plus if you do so happen to sell it - since its a rare and special edition bag that's sought after the resale value might be better (ie: I heard when the huge hardware was discontinued it became very sought after- don't quote me on that as I'm not familiar with Balenciaga history as other individuals on this forum)

You have an interesting dilemma. I have a different opinion from most members. Looking at the pics, I would go for Gris Poivre. Perhaps because I am less interested in the metallic edge.

I think you should ask yourself which one you prefer most. Enjoy!;)