Help! Did I handle mold the wrong way?

mdmgreen

Oct 15, 2010
This morning I freaked out to find both my Celine luggages were ridden with mold. I panicked. I took both bags outside and wiped them with leather conditioner. Then I left them there, outside, shaded but exposed to lots of wind.

After the panic subsides, I read some postings that said the mold should be brushed off, washed with water and soap, and left under the sun. Does this mean that what I did was wrong and the mold will come back?

Should I send them to bag cleaner?

No need to panic. What you initially did does not harm the bag.

I have had a really gorgeous pair of boots, where some mold grew on them. I brushed off the mold and wiped them over with a vinegar/water mixture and the mold has not come back. (I also stopped keeping them in a dark place).

I would suggest visiting a leather repair shop (probably shoe repair place) so they can tell you how to prevent the mold from coming back. The leather on my shoe could handle the vinegar/water mixture, but that may not be true for your Celine bag. It's best to have someone who works with a variety of leather to give you advice.

i work for a leather bag design company right here in NY. We work with really expensive leather and i could tell you for one thing that the designer always says that proper storage of leather is the key, not only before the bag is made but also after.

for a Celine bag or any high-end bag for that matter, your thinking should be first preventative. a good humidifier or a somewhat ventilated room is where these bags should be stored.

as far as getting mold off, get one of those cans of air and spray it off. be careful with water certain types of leather will stain.

point of advice watch some bags and the lining they use, mold loves the area in between.

i work for a leather bag design company right here in NY. We work with really expensive leather and i could tell you for one thing that the designer always says that proper storage of leather is the key, not only before the bag is made but also after.

for a Celine bag or any high-end bag for that matter, your thinking should be first preventative. a good humidifier or a somewhat ventilated room is where these bags should be stored.

as far as getting mold off, get one of those cans of air and spray it off. be careful with water certain types of leather will stain.

point of advice watch some bags and the lining they use, mold loves the area in between.

sorry, am such a noob. what are cans of air? do you mean compressed air cleaner? any brands in particular?

i would like to take preventive measures. everytime i read such posts, i panicked a little and always check my bags.

thanks for your help.

yes, compressed air. i don't recall any brand but you can get them at most computer stores or online. with some minimal care these bags should last a really long time. Air blow the bags every once in awhile, oil or condition them, whatever, and they will last as long as you do. If you don't care for them minimally, like anything they will deteriorate. Especially with real leather this is true. its funny real good expensive leather needs work and care while bad cheap leather doesn't.

thanks for your advice!

i usually rotate my bags to use so that they can be out of their dustbags. i check on them every once in a short while, almost everytime i read about someone having mold on their bags :P

Do you mean dehumidifier, as mold does love dampness? But I totally agree, prevention through proper storage is so much easier than dealing with mold. I had a leather item develop mold. I hadn't used it in some years, it was in the back of a warm, dark closet wedged between some other items. I got rid of the mold in the same way that tPF member brainstorm did, brushing it off and vinegar and water and and it has stayed mold-free. No more dark closets, that's for sure! And like tPF member cherrycookies, I check on my leather items in dustbags and rotate them around on the shelves and also do little checks on my leather jackets during the summer. Since I have dealt with mold on an item that is dear to me, I have become very, very careful about checking my things from time to time.

I don't suggest wiping the bags with water unless the bags are in black. Water may stain natural tan and colored leather.

For me what I do is I'd first wipe the bag all over with a microfibre cloth and then get those delicate makeup brushes to dust the bag in order to remove any mold hiding between the stitchings etc.

Then you may proceed to put the bag in the open air for the next few days to see if the mold regrows back. If it doesn't you can stuff the bag pillow in and put it inside the dust bag. But remember to throw in some silica gel. I keep my bags in a glass cabinet with this product called the 'Thirsty Hippo'. You can substitute it with any one of those household products that absorb moisture in the air so that mold will not grow in the closet!

yes, dehumidifier, thanks.

zunxd, awesome advice with the microfibre cloth and brush, i will try this out. you are so right, mold loves the crevices in between stitching. this is why waxed thread is so important it fills the holes and prevents mold. not everyone uses waxed thread to make bags because it is hard to sew on a machine.