Help deciding whether to sell my Prada bags

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, it's just a pet peeve of mind. I simply don't understand people spending thousands of dollars on handbags, then worry if they get even the tiniest bit scratched or in any way, not shop perfect. We buy handbags to carry our things in, not to put up on a shelf and admire. I've had everything from Travelon $50 crossbody bags up to Hermes Kelly bags costing several thousand dollars and never once thought about not using them. Certainly, I never threw them around, but I used them and if they got a little battle scarred, then so be it. It's rather like the people that buy Hermes scarves and frame them. I believe it was Pierre Dumas that said that Hermes scarves were meant to be worn and to be loved. Same is true of handbags.

Agree! Based on your thought, I don't either understand a "fragile" handbag that needed to baby it or it will be damaged badly, I mean it's a handbag, no matter how much it costs, it was designed to hold our stuff, if it doesn't do its job, I really think it needs to be out of way or go straight to museum.

Maybe this extends to more than just prada. Do you know if you will have that same fear of using your bags if you bought chanel? Every brand will show wear after daily use, chanel included. I would suggest keeping one prada for day to day use so you can get through your fear of somehow damaging a luxury item. You gotta start somewhere.

I totally agree with applecidered on the fear portion. Suggest to keep one or two and just sell the rest for other bag brands. I also have two prada work bags, one in nero large from way back (I cannot remember) and a recent 2016 purchase in baltico shw. Had to send the baltico back to boutique due to the glazing cracking after three months of use but it came back brand new so that's fine. Good luck dear!

Hello!

This is my first time posting so please excuse any errors.

I currently have 5 Prada double zip handbags, one in each size ranging from mini to large. These items were bought pre-loved in mint condition over a year ago. However, they have been sitting in my closet unused. Some even have tags on them. I realized I never used them because I was worried about something happening to them, which in hindsight is so silly.

So I had made up my mind to use these bags. However, after hearing all the bad press about how Prada's quality has declined, I'm wondering whether I should sell the bags now while they are still in mint condition and use that money to buy a Chanel classic flap in caviar (more durable for everyday wear) or should I just use the bags and hope that they last more than a few years. Either way, I'm taking a hit when I resell, but I'd rather sell the Pradas if they're going to look worn out after 2 years of use (every other day). Some of the handbags are date stamped 2012. Was that s 'good' production year?

What do you guys think? I'm so glad this forum exists. My friends think I'm nuts.

-XMM

I actually had to read your post twice to understand where you're coming from. I was thinking, "how can someone buy 5 bags almost at the same time and not use them?" Don't get me wrong. I understand that these are very pricey investments but not getting to use them and hiding it away gathering dust is pretty much a sacrilege ;)

Ok. So now you're on the path of selling or keeping. I suggest you re-evaluate the bags that you have now. Keep those that you like and are useful based on your lifestyle. For the rejects - sell. Better get some money out of them rather than keep them again for another year. I don't want to sound negative but I have been checking out the reseller market lately and I was surprised that Prada has LOTS of pre-owned items on the market versus other brands. It's like the floodgates of barely-used Pradas (mostly saffianos) just opened for all of the popular reseller sites. I was so tempted to buy 1 but knowing the defects of saffiano quality stopped me. I don't see this trend ending soon since Prada is still not addressing the quality issues.
Yes, it's possible that you will lose money but I think having some money on hand versus no money at all is the better option. Wishing you luck, xiaomeowmeow! :smile:

Reactions: xiaomeowmeow
This isn't directed at anyone in particular, it's just a pet peeve of mind. I simply don't understand people spending thousands of dollars on handbags, then worry if they get even the tiniest bit scratched or in any way, not shop perfect. We buy handbags to carry our things in, not to put up on a shelf and admire. I've had everything from Travelon $50 crossbody bags up to Hermes Kelly bags costing several thousand dollars and never once thought about not using them. Certainly, I never threw them around, but I used them and if they got a little battle scarred, then so be it. It's rather like the people that buy Hermes scarves and frame them. I believe it was Pierre Dumas that said that Hermes scarves were meant to be worn and to be loved. Same is true of handbags.

I agree!

I actually had to read your post twice to understand where you're coming from. I was thinking, "how can someone buy 5 bags almost at the same time and not use them?" Don't get me wrong. I understand that these are very pricey investments but not getting to use them and hiding it away gathering dust is pretty much a sacrilege ;)

Ok. So now you're on the path of selling or keeping. I suggest you re-evaluate the bags that you have now. Keep those that you like and are useful based on your lifestyle. For the rejects - sell. Better get some money out of them rather than keep them again for another year. I don't want to sound negative but I have been checking out the reseller market lately and I was surprised that Prada has LOTS of pre-owned items on the market versus other brands. It's like the floodgates of barely-used Pradas (mostly saffianos) just opened for all of the popular reseller sites. I was so tempted to buy 1 but knowing the defects of saffiano quality stopped me. I don't see this trend ending soon since Prada is still not addressing the quality issues.
Yes, it's possible that you will lose money but I think having some money on hand versus no money at all is the better option. Wishing you luck, xiaomeowmeow! :smile:

Many, many of these Prada bags are fakes and superfakes. About 90% of all Prada saffys on ebay worldwide currently are fakes.

Having said that, I too do not understand buying a bag and not using it. I use all mine, some get thrashed, some are for "special", some are for travel, but they all get used regularly. I don't buy 5 of the same style and I certainly DO NOT consider any of them an investment. Prada bags are not an investment - they do not appreciate in value, and they do not wear well enough to even maintain their original purchase value.

Good advice! I feel the same way too. Thank you!

Hi I am also thinking of selling my 2 Saffiano Prada bags. Both are in mint condition. I love it but ever since i had a baby, i just use my Prada nylon bag all the time as this is perfect as a diaper bag.
Anyway I am traveling to Europe in 2 weeks and I am thinking of bringing these bags with me so I could sell them personally to a shop that buys pre-loved designer bags (like Fashionphile in SF). Instead of me sending photos to these shops and wait for a quote before i could ship it to them. Does anyone of you know any shops that buys pre-loved purses? I am going to Paris-Brussels-Amsterdam-Prague-Berlin (in that order) so I'd appreciate any advice where is the best place to sell my bags. TIA!

Hi I am also thinking of selling my 2 Saffiano Prada bags. Both are in mint condition. I love it but ever since i had a baby, i just use my Prada nylon bag all the time as this is perfect as a diaper bag.
Anyway I am traveling to Europe in 2 weeks and I am thinking of bringing these bags with me so I could sell them personally to a shop that buys pre-loved designer bags (like Fashionphile in SF). Instead of me sending photos to these shops and wait for a quote before i could ship it to them. Does anyone of you know any shops that buys pre-loved purses? I am going to Paris-Brussels-Amsterdam-Prague-Berlin (in that order) so I'd appreciate any advice where is the best place to sell my bags. TIA!
What about Vestiaire ? Try direct in Paris , there is a head-Office, use online Option and ask the customer Support, there are many possibilities, can sell also from US, i never sold anything until i found Vestiaire Collective. I sold the old items and also many shoes i wore for 1-2 times. And the bags must use, who cares about one scratch, lol . i start worry when i see 2-3 scratches but the Quality of luxury goods today is not same as years ago.