Cleaning/Caring for Chanel PATENT Leather.

I am so sorry, I am gutted just looking, I can’t imagine what an awful shock it was to you when you saw it. My heart hurts for you!

As already stated, patent color transfer is not fixable. These bags are so appealing, but so risky. And at these price tags, there should be some major warnings for consumers.
Yes, so sad now

The bag have been store in Chanel velvet dust bag
Is it possible that colour transfer from the dust bag?BA9ED148-2405-478C-B242-92E0113294F9.jpeg

Attachments

• 557EA402-AF0F-49DB-A2CB-10DC6BEB97F9.jpeg
    557EA402-AF0F-49DB-A2CB-10DC6BEB97F9.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 79
The bag have been store in Chanel velvet dust bag
Is it possible that colour transfer from the dust bag?View attachment 4758932
Any colour transfer on the front? If just on the back then probably not from the dust bag. You got the bag new from boutique, can you not take it back to see if they can remove them or maybe any suggestions at all? Were you warned of the possible color transfer by SA before getting it? I would have been devastated seeing my bag like that too.

Only the back, maybe because the bag was lying in the dust bag & in box!
Yes, bought brand new from boutique and only used once

Any colour transfer on the front? If just on the back then probably not from the dust bag. You got the bag new from boutique, can you not take it back to see if they can remove them or maybe any suggestions at all? Were you warned of the possible color transfer by SA before getting it? I would have been devastated seeing my bag like that too.

See if can be redyed black. It would then be carefree and you’d get some use out it. I’m so sorry for you this happened. Good luck with some kind of salvage.

I am looking at a preloved black patent extra mini, will it be hard to upkeep? And also can it last as long as caviar and lambskin? My hubby told me he had a pair of patent leather loafers that cracked. I am not sure if I should buy the extra mini or wait for a caviar one.

I am looking at a preloved black patent extra mini, will it be hard to upkeep? And also can it last as long as caviar and lambskin? My hubby told me he had a pair of patent leather loafers that cracked. I am not sure if I should buy the extra mini or wait for a caviar one.
Black is the safest for patent. Patent is hard to maintain only because it can become discolored overtime and once it stains, you can't take it out. So you won't have this issue with the black. If it cracks or rips, it can't be fixed either. I haven't seen any threads or post of people who had this issue. Your husband patent loafer was probably more well loved and used than you'll use your extra mini.
I don't think they will come out with the extra minis again. They stopped making that size. Also they stopped making caviar in minis in 2017. If you're going to get patent...get Black.

Black is the safest for patent. Patent is hard to maintain only because it can become discolored overtime and once it stains, you can't take it out. So you won't have this issue with the black. If it cracks or rips, it can't be fixed either. I haven't seen any threads or post of people who had this issue. Your husband patent loafer was probably more well loved and used than you'll use your extra mini.
I don't think they will come out with the extra minis again. They stopped making that size. Also they stopped making caviar in minis in 2017. If you're going to get patent...get Black.
Thank you for your reply. I am looking in the preloved market, the caviar extra mini is priced as the same as a brand new small classic flap, I just can’t justify paying that much for it, it’s insane. The patent leather extra mini is priced the same as a woc which I can handle.

My hubby also mentioned the patent being sticky over time, maybe because we live in an extra humid climate, so I am not so sure.

Thank you for your reply. I am looking in the preloved market, the caviar extra mini is priced as the same as a brand new small classic flap, I just can’t justify paying that much for it, it’s insane. The patent leather extra mini is priced the same as a woc which I can handle.

My hubby also mentioned the patent being sticky over time, maybe because we live in an extra humid climate, so I am not so sure.
Yes... if you live in a humid climate, I wouldn't buy it. I've read posts where it got super sticky.

Reactions: bkee
Patent leather is difficult to maintain, as it is impossible to clean. and yet, I ended up with two light colored patent Chanel bags . But only because Chanel does gorgeous patent leather! Over the years I’ve learned to keep them away from any sunlight when stored. Also, store them inside their dust bag and use a soft cloth to wipe them after each use. Keep patent from rubbing or touching paper as the letters can transfer.

Unfortunately, patent leather does discolor/darken/patina over time -I’ve realized this with a pair of white patent leather Manolo Blahnik pumps I have. So darker colors are a better option.

But those spots and imperfections give the bag so much character, so just enjoy!

Attachments

• 55AB166F-5BEA-4094-B424-292F62D8F30C.jpeg
    55AB166F-5BEA-4094-B424-292F62D8F30C.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: wisconsin
I just came across this thread from last year, and wonder how Villy did with contacting Chanel Customer Service about this.

One thing I do now is that I buy white or ivory silk pillow cases to use with my light colored bags, not the standard black cotton that comes with non-classics.

This post demonstrates just how risky color transfer can be.

Vintage Chanel patent leather bags can get a bit sticky. When that happens you see fingerprints more easily, but even worse: you get stains where the lambskin leather of the 'lining' of the flap touches the patent leather when the bag is closed.
Does anyone know if there's a way to solve this problem?