help colics

Jul 31, 2006
Milan, Italy
My son, (one month today) soffers of gas colics... :crybaby:my pediatric gave him Milicon but it doesn't make a difference.
Anybody knows why he forms all that air in his belly and a good remedy?
Some friends told me to eat more milk products, other to avoid them...:shrugs:
I don't know what to do... he soffers a lot...
Thank you,
:heart:Steph.

Beach Bum

O.G.
Feb 17, 2006
I just went thru this with my grandson..who is 2 months old today.We had to switch his formula to similac sensitive(NO milk)..and i also gave him gas drops before each bottle(mylicon)..it really helped and he is MUCH better now!

kimberf

Loves the Lindy!
O.G.
Mar 8, 2007
California
My little guy just went through a couple of days of gassiness last week. Thankfully, we seem to have it under control now. We also gave him the mylicon before each bottle, and that really helped. That's the first thing I would try, before cutting anything else out.

There are also certain foods that supposedly affect him if you eat them and you're breastfeeding. Some of the most common ones are cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, those sort of things. Milk, peanuts, chocolate, and citrus are other common food allergies, so if you eat a lot of those, you may want to cut back. Note that I say supposedly on this -- my lactation consultant said that they're really supposed to say that there aren't any foods to avoid, since if you think about people breastfeeding worldwide, they all eat different things and their babies may still get gas. However, she also said that she thought her own child was really sensitive to marinara sauce. The days my guy was gassy, I'd eaten cabbage and broccoli, so I am avoiding those now.

If you are giving him formula at all, you may want to try another brand.

Mrs. MC

Dec 4, 2007
My daughter had Colic with GERD in an extreme case. It was a wonder that she gained any wt at all because really all she did was puke and fuss. I agree with Kim, as hard as it is you must avoid these foods. I was diabetic during my pregnancy so when the baby was born, all I wanted to do was eat chocolate and other foods I had to avoid for 7 months so I would schedule eating these things around breast feeding times and I supplemented with formula anyway. It is hard to sort out when breast milk is always changing and you are doing both formula and milk. We also tried 3 different meds for her, none really seemed to work but those meds are really for preventing acid damage from GERD and not really preventing regurgitation. The only thing that really helped my baby was at 4 months I stopped breasfeeding and gaver her only formula and started solid foods. She was a new baby after that , happy and not miserable. She is a great eater now and has no problems with any food really except for the normal constipating ones like bananas and cheese. Good luck !

Jul 31, 2006
Milan, Italy
Thank you... i'm breastfeeding, and I knew that cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, can create gas, and also legumes such as beans... but I didn't know that milk could create problems... I think I will reduce milk and will buy fennel infuses...
Stefania

Uh, another question: to understand what kind of food can give a problem, what is the lapse of time between eating it and the passage to the mom's milk?

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
does he spit up a lot? My kids were all big spitters, but my colicky baby was worst. I asked his Pedi about it and he brushed me off, said since he's gaining steadily he couldn't have it.
Fast forward to 12 months old. . . was diagnosed with "significant reflux" and some swallowing issues. I was so mad! Hopefully there was no long term damage to my boys' esophagus. I wished I'd pushed harder earlier as the test for reflux would've been much easier on both of us and we would've been able to prevent a lof of the porr guy's discomfort.:cry:

scheron77

Dec 26, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm having the same problem with my almost 4 month old baby. I thought colic is only for babies under 3 months but he has been gassy in the last week. I have been massaging his tummy and also putting him on his tummy and massaging his lower back. That seems to help him pass gas. Also I have given him gripe water. I'm not sure if this actually helps. And then I also tried using this massage oil that you get from a oriental store. I know this one helps too but then his tummy is starting to get slightly red, so I stopped.

Jul 31, 2006
Milan, Italy
Yes he had a little reflux, but not so much... I think the physiological all the children have after eating...

...here in Italy I don't know to find gripe water... I think here in Italy we haven't it....:Push:

:heart:Stephanie

kuuipo627

Sep 18, 2006
Try Gripe Water. Worked miracles on both my kids and also many friends of ours! You can always find the stuff online. I've even ordered it from Amazon.com.

Mrs. MC

Dec 4, 2007
Yes gripe water seemed to work well for my baby too. Make sure you read storage information on the box ! Whole Foods market carries it

kimberf

Loves the Lindy!
O.G.
Mar 8, 2007
California
Stephanie, gripe water is basically ginger, fennel, and other herbs, and maybe sodium bicarbonate. It varies by each maker, so there's no specific formula. Maybe you can find something similar in Italy.

Regarding the question you had about how long it takes for the foods to get into your milk, I was curious for myself as well, so I did some research. As with everything else, it seems it can vary. Most commonly, the average time is about 4 to 6 hours, but I read that it could be up to 24 hours. So, not super-helpful, but maybe try checking what you ate in the past 4 to 6 hours first.

Again, with the Mylicon, it's important to give it BEFORE the feedings. When I was giving it afterward, it didn't help at all, but doing it before has worked great. Hope that helps you & your little guy too!

efrias1394

Luxaholic
Jan 30, 2007
Fabulosity
My son was the same way after he was born. I was breast and bottle feeding. My pediatrician told me to feed him soy formula when bottle feeding, and to cut out dairy products from my diet since I was breastfeeding. But, I was also told the Mylicon drop helped with the gasiness. HTH.

bella10

O.G.
Dec 3, 2007
my twins have colic from 2 months till 6 months , i ve tried everything and nothing worked. i guess their digestive system is just immature, hang in there, this too shall pass!