Help - Clemence: Ebene, Cafe, Etoupe, Gris

looking through the colour ref thread now. still very hard to see the nuances.

i suppose the ebene, etoupe and gris has cooler undertones? and the cafe is warmer, more along the same tone as the chocolate and havanne, maybe..?

Last edited:
I think you've got the order right, bagpunk. I just love ebene, though. It's such a rich dark, dark brown - almost black, and yes, I'd say that it has a cooler undertone than say chocolate or havanne (which has a reddish undertone).

Can you get to an Hermes and look at the actual leather samples? That's really the best way to decide, as lighting and computer monitors vary greatly.

looking through the colour ref thread now. still very hard to see the nuances.

i suppose the ebene, etoupe and gris has cooler undertones? and the cafe is warmer, more along the same tone as the chocolate and havanne, maybe..?

Yes. :yes: On the broader sense, I would say Ebene and Gris T is cooler than Etoupe. Etoupe in certain skin is more brown than taupe, notably in Epsom, Clemence and Swift.

Yes. :yes: On the broader sense, I would say Ebene and Gris T is cooler than Etoupe. Etoupe in certain skin is more brown than taupe, notably in Epsom, Clemence and Swift.

thanks ms piggy. i've seen clemence etoupe, clemence cafe, but have never seen gris.

i wanna know what are the colours from the brown-grey family that does not have red or orange undertone.

lilyhermes, alas, i was in a bit of a rush so i did not managed to look at swatches but saw a clemence cafe bag and i thought it looked a bit like ebene....? but i have never seen ebene clemence in person. so.

in any case, i am looking through our colour ref thread again. not ideal but i am going to give it a go.

ms piggy, yes, the clemence etoupe is indeed warmish. although i have no other etoupe to compare it with, and would love to see how etoupe looks like on other leathers, i have to say that i rather like how etoupe looks like on clemence. it is warm without being "reddish".... :smile: it is a lovely neutral that is not black (too dark), brown (too red), beige (too light), tan (too yellow), or grey (too cold).

i would love something in grey one day though. the only warm brown i would love now is natural barenia. and hope to have a dark brown that is "cold" one day.

so now i am.... exploring :smile:

Last edited:
i say for a cool dark brown ebene is your choice. while chocolate and cafe are lovely shades they are definately warmer and havanne has red undertones.
in fact i always find ebene stunning with phw (as seen in a lot of the toile combos) while for cafe i prefer ghw

the grey etoupe on clemence is like elphant skin with brownish pinkish undertones it definately is cooler and greyer on togo

excellent. i don't even have my first, and already plotting my next....

ebene with PHW is on my list.
together with etoupe and maybe gris.

what is the closest leather to clemence if i may ask?

i'm not an expert on H leathers, but i think togo is close to clemence, but with a little more structure. funny i came upon this thread because just tonight my sisters were commenting that my gris togo looked almost creamy in certain lights. when compared with true cool greys, i find that gris has beige tones...it's almost warm! i am almost inclined to say it is like a lighter version of etoupe, which can go either way depending on what you're wearing (and the hw of course). HTH! :smile: