Help choosing new leather bag. Pictures included !

Sep 30, 2008
Boulder, Colorado
I have been trying to find a nice "every day worry free" leather bag for a while now. Iv purchased a few from coach and Michael kors but they just did not cut it for me (bad leather quality IMO on the ones I ordered).

A few years ago I really wanted the Roots small school bag, but it was sold out for like a year (it was shown in a movie). Now I'm looking at it again (now in stock) but I'm no longer a student, so it seems too big for me. I saw another roots bag, same style but smaller. I know in the photo in can look a little blah, but I'm liking it for spring and summer. I wear a lot of jean shorts, casual cotton dresses, and tank tops.

I need to carry in my bag two small makeup bags (they are small and thin, they could go one on top of the other in my bag), my cell (Galaxy S3) ipod, water, sunglasses in hard case, and keys.

Do you think I can fit it in the smaller style? I can always hand carry my water :P

Smaller style "village satchel vintage tribe leather" $198.00 11.5(L) x 9(H) x 1.75(D)

http://usa.roots.com/VillageSatchel...gid=WomensLeatherBagsMedium&selectedColor=024

larger style "sm school bag tribe leather" $288.00 14(L) x 11(H) x 2.5(D)

http://usa.roots.com/SmallSchoolBag...html?cgid=leatherLaptopBags&selectedColor=024

Last edited:

klb4556

O.G.
May 18, 2009
Alabama
I remember this!!!! all too well, too.
Without a DOUBT, go for the small school bag. I ended up getting it and I am in love with it!

I waited 2 extra years for mine, after the whole "Letters to Juliet" discussion, and I remember you and I were both dying to have one.

It is not too big for me, though I did have to punch an extra 5 or 6 holes in the strap and tie the leather around in a knot, but it adds character to it.

The leather feels amazing, the quality is the best out of any bag I've ever owned, it was my best purchase. I will be able to use it all my life, it looks so professional but I also used it on my summer vacation to my hometown with shorts and a lacy top at a crafts festival. I couldn't quit looking down at that bag the whole time.

I think, judging by how much you wanted it then, you might regret it if you don't go for the school bag.
I also think the school bag looks a little more feminine.

I don't take mine to my classes, or use it as a school bag, because I'm so protective of it, lol, but even then, it's not too big for every day.

I also agree with you on the MK quality... it's going way down.
Hope you get the one you really want!

Sep 30, 2008
Boulder, Colorado
I remember this!!!! all too well, too.
Without a DOUBT, go for the small school bag. I ended up getting it and I am in love with it!

I waited 2 extra years for mine, after the whole "Letters to Juliet" discussion, and I remember you and I were both dying to have one.

It is not too big for me, though I did have to punch an extra 5 or 6 holes in the strap and tie the leather around in a knot, but it adds character to it.

The leather feels amazing, the quality is the best out of any bag I've ever owned, it was my best purchase. I will be able to use it all my life, it looks so professional but I also used it on my summer vacation to my hometown with shorts and a lacy top at a crafts festival. I couldn't quit looking down at that bag the whole time.

I think, judging by how much you wanted it then, you might regret it if you don't go for the school bag.
I also think the school bag looks a little more feminine.

I don't take mine to my classes, or use it as a school bag, because I'm so protective of it, lol, but even then, it's not too big for every day.

I also agree with you on the MK quality... it's going way down.
Hope you get the one you really want!

Hi there!!! I think my biggest worry is I have been really wanting to go for a smaller bag because all my bags are so big, then again they are also wide which is the biggest issue. The small school bag is pretty thin width wise isnt it? I also really dont like that the small school bag has silver HW and no front pockets like the smaller bag. I just moved to a new city and Im going to be buying a bike for transportation (a big thing here) and also walk places. Iv been useing my old backpack so far:hrmm: Oh second question...does it come with the extra shoulder thing on the strap, or do you still have to call the company and ask to have it put on?

Last edited:

klb4556

O.G.
May 18, 2009
Alabama
I understand, if it's better for your needs, you should go with the smaller one. I just had to get the school bag myself because I couldn't get it out of my mind. But the front pockets sound like they're gonna be a lot better for you and the city life.

It can be annoying at times trying to get the front of the school bag unlocked, and yes, it is fairly slim but can still fit a nice sized makeup bag in it.

Shoebaglady

~Totes & Pockets~
Oct 5, 2011
~Canada~
I have a Roots bag.....from the early 90's !!! It looks brand new. The leather is amazing and they style you've chosen is great!

Sep 30, 2008
Boulder, Colorado
I understand, if it's better for your needs, you should go with the smaller one. I just had to get the school bag myself because I couldn't get it out of my mind. But the front pockets sound like they're gonna be a lot better for you and the city life.

It can be annoying at times trying to get the front of the school bag unlocked, and yes, it is fairly slim but can still fit a nice sized makeup bag in it.
hmmm I think Im gonna have to order the smaller one, just to try it. If its too small I can always return and order the Larger one. Thanks again...lol I cant believe we are still talking about this bag two years later! At least we can buy something this time:P

jailnurse93

~Heisenberg~
Sep 10, 2012
308 Negra Arroyo Lane
I am sooooo in love with Roots leather! It is so thick and wonderful! I think you will love that bag! I bought the Hippy Italian Raw which I thought might be small for me and it fit all of my stuff just fine. Oh, it smells so delicious! I will be looking forward to seeing your new Roots bag!