Help! Choosing Between Cervos.

Euclase

O.G.
Nov 3, 2011
Hi All,

Help! I need your expert opinions! A Cervo has been a HG bag for me for years, so I was thrilled to find them in my outlet recently. I left with the Nero Cervo Medium Tote (description here on BV site), although in my mind, isn't it more of a satchel than a tote? Regardless, I'm second-guessing the purchase for a couple of key reasons:

1. The shoulder strap is much longer and narrower than I'd prefer, which I knew before I bought it. I splurged on a nero intrecciato strap from BV.com before they sold out. When the strap arrived today I was so eager to see if it would work, but it too was sadly much too long, so back to BV it goes. If I keep this bag, I'd have to buy another strap online, probably in canvas, which isn't the end of the world.

2. I don't know how I feel about the handles on the satchel. They look splendid if they're standing up, but when I wear the bag on my shoulder (which would be 99% of the time) the handles fold down over the bag. The problem there is that the beautiful intrecciato weaving doesn't go around the loops fully, so the back of the straps, where the woven ends meet, would be visible most of the time (see the attached image)

I called my outlet and they are holding the Nero Cervo Medium Shoulder Bag for me (description here on BV site). This beauty took a close second when I was in the store, but I talked myself out of it because I thought thought that the top handle drop might be too short, and that the bag overall might be too big on me, although my husband didn't think so. I'm petite at 5'3" and 110 lbs.

For those of you who have experience with the Cervo Medium Shoulder Bag, AKA the Cervo Loop I think, can you pretty please give me your feedback on its functionality?

Once this bag is broken in, can you easily reach in and get things out without setting the bag down, e.g. keys, phone? If the answer is yes, then I think I'll probably go through with the exchange.

tote_straps_down.jpg

Reactions: RT1 and Nibb
Hi All,

Help! I need your expert opinions! A Cervo has been a HG bag for me for years, so I was thrilled to find them in my outlet recently. I left with the Nero Cervo Medium Tote (description here on BV site), although in my mind, isn't it more of a satchel than a tote? Regardless, I'm second-guessing the purchase for a couple of key reasons:

1. The shoulder strap is much longer and narrower than I'd prefer, which I knew before I bought it. I splurged on a nero intrecciato strap from BV.com before they sold out. When the strap arrived today I was so eager to see if it would work, but it too was sadly much too long, so back to BV it goes. If I keep this bag, I'd have to buy another strap online, probably in canvas, which isn't the end of the world.

2. I don't know how I feel about the handles on the satchel. They look splendid if they're standing up, but when I wear the bag on my shoulder (which would be 99% of the time) the handles fold down over the bag. The problem there is that the beautiful intrecciato weaving doesn't go around the loops fully, so the back of the straps, where the woven ends meet, would be visible most of the time (see the attached image)

I called my outlet and they are holding the Nero Cervo Medium Shoulder Bag for me (description here on BV site). This beauty took a close second when I was in the store, but I talked myself out of it because I thought thought that the top handle drop might be too short, and that the bag overall might be too big on me, although my husband didn't think so. I'm petite at 5'3" and 110 lbs.

For those of you who have experience with the Cervo Medium Shoulder Bag, AKA the Cervo Loop I think, can you pretty please give me your feedback on its functionality?

Once this bag is broken in, can you easily reach in and get things out without setting the bag down, e.g. keys, phone? If the answer is yes, then I think I'll probably go through with the exchange.

View attachment 4884179
D73EECC4-9F6C-4229-BDA3-097082E84BDA.jpeg1C171BAC-A918-4C8A-8C5D-7E3AF4A9CA40.jpeg
I have a medium Cervo Shoulder bag I love it I can reach in, I thought it would be a problem but it works. If you search the BV forum for medium Cervo you can find reviews from other members, popular bag. I like that tote too but I understand the hesitation. If you like slouchy you will like the medium hobo. Hopefully a few of the other medium people will chime in.

View attachment 4884272View attachment 4884273
I have a medium Cervo Shoulder bag I love it I can reach in, I thought it would be a problem but it works. If you search the BV forum for medium Cervo you can find reviews from other members, popular bag. I like that tote too but I understand the hesitation. If you like slouchy you will like the medium hobo. Hopefully a few of the other medium people will chime in.

Thank you, Nibb! I adore the colors of your bag! Thank you for sharing pictures! I love how it drapes and puddles beautifully.

Also, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific in asking if you can reach into the bag while it's on your shoulder, or if you have to take it off of your shoulder to get anything? I found this previous thread where tenKrat said she had to remove the bag from her shoulder to get something out, but her bag was new then. For you Nibb (or others) who have this bag broken in, do you have to remove the strap to access the bag? If yes, is that problematic, or no big deal? I don't often need to get things out of my bag, except occasionally my phone. Thanks again!

Reactions: Nibb and RT1
Happy update!

My BV outlet graciously processed the exchange, and I am a proud new owner of the Medium Nero Cervo Loop. I believe she was the one I was meant to have all along. A while back I gifted my black Coach Kristin satchel to my younger cousin, and I think when I was in the BV outlet, my brain was telling me to replace it with a comparably structured bag, but afterward my heart was remembering how the Loop molded against me, and Nibb's encouragement sealed the deal. Yes, that reads like a stereotypical rom-com...

Also yes, I am able to reach into the Loop easily and access my phone without taking her off my shoulder.

Anyway here she is, being inspected by Kitty, and spooning in bed with my much-much-loved China Red Camera Bag, a 2017 bday gift that DH bought at NM. If you've wondered whether to treat yourself to this particular Camera Bag should you find one preloved, I highly recommend it.

Attachments

• bags1.jpg
    bags1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 46
  • bags2.jpg
    bags2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 44
Happy update!

My BV outlet graciously processed the exchange, and I am a proud new owner of the Medium Nero Cervo Loop. I believe she was the one I was meant to have all along. A while back I gifted my black Coach Kristin satchel to my younger cousin, and I think when I was in the BV outlet, my brain was telling me to replace it with a comparably structured bag, but afterward my heart was remembering how the Loop molded against me, and Nibb's encouragement sealed the deal. Yes, that reads like a stereotypical rom-com...

Also yes, I am able to reach into the Loop easily and access my phone without taking her off my shoulder.

Anyway here she is, being inspected by Kitty, and spooning in bed with my much-much-loved China Red Camera Bag, a 2017 bday gift that DH bought at NM. If you've wondered whether to treat yourself to this particular Camera Bag should you find one preloved, I highly recommend it.
I’m really happy for you, both are beautiful bags, hope for many years of use.

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and Euclase
I spend a lot of time digging around the medium loop bag so that’s annoying yet I love how light-weight it is. The leather is very soft, unstructured and the bag is very floppy. I also have the medium cervo tote and you’re right, it is more of a satchel style, more structured and does not hold as much as the loop bag. I like how easy it is to find things in it...the handles don’t bother me. I actually don’t consider either a tote.

Reactions: Euclase and RT1
I spend a lot of time digging around the medium loop bag so that’s annoying yet I love how light-weight it is. The leather is very soft, unstructured and the bag is very floppy. I also have the medium cervo tote and you’re right, it is more of a satchel style, more structured and does not hold as much as the loop bag. I like how easy it is to find things in it...the handles don’t bother me. I actually don’t consider either a tote.
Thank you for your insights! I ordered a (non-BV) leather key lanyard, and I try to keep a minimal amount of stuff in my bags, so hopefully that will mitigate digging around in the loop.

Now I can’t help but think of Hermione, rummaging around deep in her purple bag, with its magical Extension Charm... :lol:

The saga continues!

I'm obsessed (of course) with my new nero medium loop, so I'm on the hunt another cervo. I bought a small in the new steel color (which @V0N1B2 graciously authenticated), but sadly I didn't love how the small fit against me, even after attaching a longer crossbody strap. That beautiful stormy taupe color is so pretty, but back it shall go... :crybaby:

I was also inspired TPFers who have/had the medium loop in dark barolo, e.g. @muchstuff (pic), and @BV_LC_poodle (pic). My outlet SA said this could be ordered still, and I'm sooo tempted. :amuse:
Should I pull the trigger on the dark barolo too, or is it too close to nero?

Reactions: 880, etudes and RT1
The saga continues!

I'm obsessed (of course) with my new nero medium loop, so I'm on the hunt another cervo. I bought a small in the new steel color (which @V0N1B2 graciously authenticated), but sadly I didn't love how the small fit against me, even after attaching a longer crossbody strap. That beautiful stormy taupe color is so pretty, but back it shall go... :crybaby:

I was also inspired TPFers who have/had the medium loop in dark barolo, e.g. @muchstuff (pic), and @BV_LC_poodle (pic). My outlet SA said this could be ordered still, and I'm sooo tempted. :amuse:
Should I pull the trigger on the dark barolo too, or is it too close to nero?
Very different. It's a pretty good neutral IMO.

First, the semi-bad news:
I'm still waiting to hear back from my outlet SA about the Dark Barolo. Apparently it's labeled in their system for assessment, which, per my outlet SA, means that BV is sitting on it and pondering whether they want to release it for sale, or keep it in their holdings/archive for reference.

Second, the good news:
On Black Friday I did some serious hunting for another medium cervo loo, and Lo and behold, I scored my second one for an absurdly good deal on Tradesy! (Tradesy has a denim one right now too.) Considering how it was described by the seller, I don't think they really understood what they had, or the price would have been higher; immediately after I saw the listing, I snatched it up. She's been gently broken in, so the shoulder strap is softer than my Nero, but she's in wonderful condition, with a pristine interior.

I was super curious about the color (Shadow? Dark Cement?), so I asked my SA to look up the serial number. She said the color is indeed Dark Cement, from 2018, and my SA speculated that it was a relatively limited run.

I'm thrilled to introduce the newest and fourth member of my BV family- Dark Cement Medium Cervo Loop. Here are pics of her being inspected by kitty, and cuddling with her Nero sister. I love how the raw edge at the opening contrasts with her body color! :love:

bv1.jpeg
bv2.jpeg

Last edited: