Help Choosing a 2nd bag please...Boy or m/l CF?

winter0531

O.G.
Jun 15, 2008
Hi,

I only have a navy shw jumbo in caviar leather right now and will get my 2nd Chanel this weekend. My SA told me there's an old medium burgundy color calfskin Le Boy with gold chain from 17C. I'm choosing between this boy and the m/l classic flap in black caviar (either ghw or shw).

I intend to use the bag for everyday not only for special occasions though. Opinions much needed here :smile:

Last edited:
I would go for the boy. The burgundy is stunning and for me it is really easy to match with most nutrals such as grey, black, navy, white. The only thing is, to me boy is a daytime bag only. I would not carry it for special occasions or night outs.

Reactions: winter0531
The burgundy sure is very pretty against gold hardware. I like to wear the boy single strap on one shoulder or crossbody. As for the m/l classic flap, I like to wear single strap. My lifestyle is casual and not many "special occasions" to attend except weddings which I carry my clutches. The boy bag seems to fit into my lifestyle but then I'm not sure how long the style will stay and how easy/hard is calfskin to maintain. Any inputs?

I'm also considering resale value. Originally I wanted a reissue 226 but then I saw the resale price is not as good as I thought plus the pre-owned really looks old (folds/wrinkles/lines) so I passed on the style. Anyone tried to sell the m/l or the boy (assuming like-new condition)? Did you lose a lot of money on the bag?

Both are great choices. One thing to consider though, classic m/l is too small for most people for everyday use (for me, I've managed to downsize the stuff i carry to fit perfectly in the m/l). Have you seen the m/l IRL? It fits less than an old medium boy. Calfskin boy isnt too hard to maintain but you do have to be a bit more careful with it compared to caviar CF. Personally I think the classic holds better resale value in the long run. If I were you, I'd go with m/l with ghw since you already have something in shw, but you cant go wrong with either one. Good luck with your decision [emoji4]

I'm also considering resale value. Originally I wanted a reissue 226 but then I saw the resale price is not as good as I thought plus the pre-owned really looks old (folds/wrinkles/lines) so I passed on the style. Anyone tried to sell the m/l or the boy (assuming like-new condition)? Did you lose a lot of money on the bag?

A "timeless" classic flap with BLACK caviar leather and GHW will almost ALWAYS have a higher re-sale value than a BURGUNDY calfskin Boy Bag with GHW.

(A) BLACK is the universal color desired by most purchasing a Chanel handbag for the 1st time.
(B) CAVIAR LEATHER on any Chanel handbag is the most desired by the "pre-loved" luxury handbag buyer.

Personally, I discourage buyers from only having "re-sale" value in-mind when purchasing a handbag.

Please buy only the handbag(s) that you LOVE ❤️and are confident that you will enjoy on a regular basis.

Many of us have learned the hard way, myself included, to ignore the aforementioned "warnings". Unless the handbag you purchase is very, very special (black-on-black, chevron classic flap with rainbow hardware; lol, not sure this even exists, hence = 100% unicorn handbag), you would be considered "lucky" to recover 70% on a "pre-loved" black caviar w/ GHW classic flap; and far less for a burgundy calf Boy.

If the BURGUNDY Boy with GHW "makes your heart sing" :love:, then that is the handbag for you!!

Both are great choices. One thing to consider though, classic m/l is too small for most people for everyday use (for me, I've managed to downsize the stuff i carry to fit perfectly in the m/l). Have you seen the m/l IRL? It fits less than an old medium boy. Calfskin boy isnt too hard to maintain but you do have to be a bit more careful with it compared to caviar CF. Personally I think the classic holds better resale value in the long run. If I were you, I'd go with m/l with ghw since you already have something in shw, but you cant go wrong with either one. Good luck with your decision [emoji4]

Thank you for replying. Yes I have tried the m/l recently and also managed to downsize my stuff in these few years' mini bag trend. I do feel I like the classics a bit more than the boy and I'm reconsidering 2.55 the 225/226 sizes now. Do you have anything to share on the reissues? I'm just a bit worried about the bag losing shape and the creases.

Reactions: chlamy
I purchased the Burgundy Boy and love it! I find that it fits my casual wardrobe easily. I also own a black jumbo in SHW but rarely wear it as it feels more formal to me. I have been eyeing the Reissue in 226 size for over a year and actually meant to buy it, but the Burgundy boy stole my heart so it came home with me instead. I still plan to buy the Reissue soon as it has a more casual feel and I love the chain. I think the m/l flap is a great bag and can be worn casual or dressy. Tough choices - try them all on and see if one stands out to you. Good luck with your decision!

IMG_1483425575.932591.jpgIMG_1483425607.613185.jpg

This topic really piped my interest because 2 weeks ago I had a very similar dilemma altho the m/l is in lamb. Hope I can help you in deciding with my story. :smile:

I bought the 17C burgundy boy because I was looking and wanting a burgundy bag for ages.

(Background: I passed on the 16S burgundy boy with shiny gold hardware and bought a black chevron boy with shiny silver hardware because i felt the latter was easier to match and more casual.)

However when I collected the burgundy boy and went home with it, I saw the chevron m/l flap which I couldn't stop thinking about. Like you I was concerned abt the resale value and the longevity of the boy design as I feel that our taste may change down the road.

Eventually after many sleepless nights and endless what-ifs I decided to go exchange the burgundy boy for the chevron m/l because I already have the other black boy bag which I used very often. And I do personally feel that the boy bag has a younger vibe to it which I'm not sure I can carry off in my later years. Whereas the chevron flap is more classic in design.

Nonetheless the burgundy boy is VERY gorgeous and it was really difficult for me to decide. I think if you don't have a boy bag yet this may be something you wish to get. The interior is olive and pink, the cruise colors.

I have some photos of both the m/l and the boy side by side for your reference. If I must be honest tho I think I would have got the burgundy boy if I don't alrdy have the chevron boy. It is a more casual day to day bag. And not too shabby for drinks or dinner in the evenings too.

Good luck!!

I purchased the Burgundy Boy and love it! I find that it fits my casual wardrobe easily. I also own a black jumbo in SHW but rarely wear it as it feels more formal to me. I have been eyeing the Reissue in 226 size for over a year and actually meant to buy it, but the Burgundy boy stole my heart so it came home with me instead. I still plan to buy the Reissue soon as it has a more casual feel and I love the chain. I think the m/l flap is a great bag and can be worn casual or dressy. Tough choices - try them all on and see if one stands out to you. Good luck with your decision!
Yes! I saw your post before and I really like the burgundy color. However I think I put the boy choice here only because the color. I somehow find the chain too clunky to my taste. I'm now thinking about the reissue or the m/l. So hard!!

Yes! I saw your post before and I really like the burgundy color. However I think I put the boy choice here only because the color. I somehow find the chain too clunky to my taste. I'm now thinking about the reissue or the m/l. So hard!!
Yes, Boy chain is clunky and I am still getting used to it. I find that I double up the chain sometimes and wear it as a shoulder bag. But I love the color so much! Since you have a flap already, go for the Reissue then - its classic and so beautiful! Definitely next on my list, too!

Thank you for replying. Yes I have tried the m/l recently and also managed to downsize my stuff in these few years' mini bag trend. I do feel I like the classics a bit more than the boy and I'm reconsidering 2.55 the 225/226 sizes now. Do you have anything to share on the reissues? I'm just a bit worried about the bag losing shape and the creases.

Personally I have never purchased a Reissue; and I do not currently have plans for one. Despite trying a few out, I have never purchased a Boy Bag - yet! (I have my heart set on a Boy Bag, "new medium" size, for the first time, to be revealed in the 2017 Spring/Summer Collection :smile:).

What I "have" amassed is a collection of jumbo classic flaps. I am not able to downsize my daily necessities due to medical reasons, and when in a bind, the cross-body option is invaluable for me. I have added a few seasonal handbags: a Chanel "classic" chevron caviar tote and a few Chanel calfskin drawstring bags to get me through everyday outings. I save my classic flaps for less rigorous excursions.

If I had to choose only ONE Chanel handbag it would be black, caviar leather, and the jumbo size. (More specifically I would still choose, to this very day, my very 1st Chanel handbag: jumbo classic flap in black chevron caviar leather w/ SHW ❤️).

In my humble opinion, this handbag offers the most ✨bang✨ for one's buck! What the jumbo CF offers that the M/L size does not is: more space and can be worn cross-body. Even a "jumbo" equivalent in the Reissue cannot be comfortably worn cross-body. What a classic flap offers that a Boy Bag does not is: the classic flap is made entirely out of leather, inside-out; it can be dressed-up, or it can be dressed down. The Boy Bag will always appear more casual, the fabric interior is subject to stains, tearing, the chains "make a lot of noise" (in my opinion, as I have not grown to love one yet, which, I believe it is inevitable that I eventually will) and some styles/leathers/hardware on the Boy Bags might appear dated over time.

I will disclose for you that I recently turned 45 years old. I often think that if I was younger, perhaps the Boy Bag and/or Reissue might appeal to me more. I receive the most compliments and accolades when carrying my jumbo classic flaps. I feel a sense of elegance when I carry them. They were a long-time coming, and I enjoy every inch of them! :biggrin:

Lastly, I will admit, as I mentioned above, in 3-months time, if all goes well, I WILL be adding a "Boy" to my "stable" of "Baronesses". :nuts:

Truly, dear "winter0531", it ALL comes down to personal preferences. Make sure to see them, feel them, and try them ALL on in-real-life FIRST! :flowers:

View attachment 3563813View attachment 3563815

This topic really piped my interest because 2 weeks ago I had a very similar dilemma altho the m/l is in lamb. Hope I can help you in deciding with my story. :smile:

I bought the 17C burgundy boy because I was looking and wanting a burgundy bag for ages.

(Background: I passed on the 16S burgundy boy with shiny gold hardware and bought a black chevron boy with shiny silver hardware because i felt the latter was easier to match and more casual.)

However when I collected the burgundy boy and went home with it, I saw the chevron m/l flap which I couldn't stop thinking about. Like you I was concerned abt the resale value and the longevity of the boy design as I feel that our taste may change down the road.

Eventually after many sleepless nights and endless what-ifs I decided to go exchange the burgundy boy for the chevron m/l because I already have the other black boy bag which I used very often. And I do personally feel that the boy bag has a younger vibe to it which I'm not sure I can carry off in my later years. Whereas the chevron flap is more classic in design.

Nonetheless the burgundy boy is VERY gorgeous and it was really difficult for me to decide. I think if you don't have a boy bag yet this may be something you wish to get. The interior is olive and pink, the cruise colors.

I have some photos of both the m/l and the boy side by side for your reference. If I must be honest tho I think I would have got the burgundy boy if I don't alrdy have the chevron boy. It is a more casual day to day bag. And not too shabby for drinks or dinner in the evenings too.

Good luck!!
mintyvintage the burgundy looks stunning on you!! I think I will have many sleepless nights deciding as well LOL. I intend to use my purchase very often (don't carry much). I'm trying to settle on the tough leather+classic design+easy wear choice. That's why my choices are black caviar m/l, black 225 or 226(with gold hardware), and the calfskin boy.