HELP!! Chnge in shipping???

bhalpop

O.G.
Sep 17, 2007
STILL east of HawkeyTown
Okay i listed a bag and sold it on ebay. It was listed as UPS shipping and a $20 charge. So I'm waiting for payment and I get a message asking if I will ship USPS in a flat rate box. Would you change this and how do I go about changing the rate after the sale is done?? Turns out this an APO address. What to do? I'm worried about a negative rating.. HELP!!

Luxe Diva

LVOE 4 DESIGNER BAGS
Sep 8, 2007
Arizona
I think you can send another invoice to your buyer and add/change the shipping there. I personally only use the USPS but have shipped using UPS when it was cheaper for a buyer and they asked me to. She really should have asked you this prior to the listing ending. I would go ahead and do it if it were me.

bhalpop

O.G.
Sep 17, 2007
STILL east of HawkeyTown
That's what bothers me.. I had one buyer message mne prior to the end of the sale and I was okay with it. But now after the sale has ended is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth..

mmmsc

O.G.
Feb 1, 2007
USA
Do you say you will ship internationally? If not, you may be able to cancel. I would call PP and see how and if you are covered. I mean, this IS a confirmed PP address right? If not, I would not send to un-confirmed address because you will not be covered.

bhalpop

O.G.
Sep 17, 2007
STILL east of HawkeyTown
Believe me, I stated that quite upfront in the listing and the reciept I sent..But if she didn't READ the listing...What can I do?? I may restate to her I will only ship to a confirmed PP address and see what she says. Hardly worth these problems for a bag I'm taking a loss on...

pjrufus

O.G.
May 13, 2009
If you haven't shipped APO before, it's really not bad, but USPS Priority (Insured of course) is the best way, because it can often take like forever to get there otherwise, and you can't ship UPS to APO/FPO addies. Also, only use a flat rate box if the bag can be packed carefully and very securely inside, as in tissue-stuffed, bubble-wrapped and strong packing tape. I actually double-box and attach the packing slip to the inside box, just in case. You may also have to fill out and attach a customs form. There is a lot of good info in the ebay answer center on shipping apo/fpo.
If it's a large bag, and doesn't fit well in a flat-rate box, your shipping, insurance and handling could come pretty close to the $20. I haven't had a problem, but keep in mind, even with Priority, shipping time will be longer than what we are used to in the US, and tracking stops when it changes hands from USPS to the military.

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
South Texas
If you haven't shipped APO before, it's really not bad, but USPS Priority (Insured of course) is the best way, because it can often take like forever to get there otherwise, and you can't ship UPS to APO/FPO addies. Also, only use a flat rate box if the bag can be packed carefully and very securely inside, as in tissue-stuffed, bubble-wrapped and strong packing tape. I actually double-box and attach the packing slip to the inside box, just in case. You may also have to fill out and attach a customs form. There is a lot of good info in the ebay answer center on shipping apo/fpo.
If it's a large bag, and doesn't fit well in a flat-rate box, your shipping, insurance and handling could come pretty close to the $20. I haven't had a problem, but keep in mind, even with Priority, shipping time will be longer than what we are used to in the US, and tracking stops when it changes hands from USPS to the military.

Right on. I don't think it's necessarily a problem, as it's still technically a US address. You'll have to take it to the post office and stand in line though unless your post-person personally picks it up. I've dropped APO packages in the drop box before and they're promptly returned to me because I didn't hand them to someone personally. Just a heads up.

Joannek1717

Nov 9, 2009
Connecticut
If the bag fits into a large Flat Rate Priority box, it's actually $2.00 LESS than a regular large flat rate box. There's a customs form to fill out, which is really not a big deal if your post office people are nice (I had to go to 3 until I found one with decent employees - now it's "my" post office). Unless your bag won't fit into a flat rate box. But the buyer should have ASKED first. Mine did. People are morons. Pass the chips.

noshoepolish

Labrador Lover
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
Make sure the total is less than $250 because you can't get signature confirmation.

pjrufus

O.G.
May 13, 2009
Joannek1717,
If the bag fits into a large Flat Rate Priority box, it's actually $2.00 LESS than a regular large flat rate box. There's a customs form to fill out, which is really not a big deal if your post office people are nice (I had to go to 3 until I found one with decent employees - now it's "my" post office). Unless your bag won't fit into a flat rate box. But the buyer should have ASKED first. Mine did. People are morons. Pass the chips.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that USPS has a Flat-Rate Box Military Discount.
Also, agree about the PO's. I use one PO (a bit out of my way) when I need helpful, friendly clerks, and another (on my way to work) that I can just drop off and leave. The second PO actually told me once I had to change my zip code to theirs if I was going to drop off there. I don't think so, are they on commission now? Guess what, my zip doesn't even have a physical post office.

pjrufus

O.G.
May 13, 2009
I also wanted to add, many sellers won't ship to APO/FPO. I don't have a problem with it, I have never served and don't personally know anyone who has, so for me...I just feel good about doing something, even though it is a bit of a PIA, and my APO buyers always asked me before placing a bid. OP, I agree with the others, your seller should have asked about APO and shipping rates BEFORE she bid.

mmmsc

O.G.
Feb 1, 2007
USA
Guess I feel the read to reiterate that the address you send to needs to be the confirmed one in PP. No matter what you end up paying (more or less) for shipping, if you are not covered by PP by sending to the confirmed address, and if this deal somehow goes south... then you will be up the proverbial creek. If need be, you should refund the first purchase, have the buyer add the new APO address to their confirmed PP addresses, and have them pay again, shipping to that address(with insurance and signature delivery confirmation of course.)

Last edited:

denimbarks

Sit. Stay. Shop.
O.G.
May 17, 2007
I thought Paypal didn't require confirmed addresses anymore, but the transaction has to be "Eligible" and "Okay to ship."