Help!! Caring for Curly Hair

Yes every curly needs a balm, serum, or pomade. Pomades work better for me.

You're going to have to experiment until you find a routine that works for you. Also the changes in seasons and the climate you live in effects your hair and how products react to it. So don't get alarmed if you see someone else's hair and do the same thing they did, yet you don't get the same results. No two curlies are the same and what works for one will not work for all.

I don't agree, every hair doesn't need balms, serums or pomades. Every curly head is different.

I don't agree, every hair doesn't need balms, serums or pomades. Every curly head is different.

I stated that every curly is different however I have yet to hear a curly who doesn't use a balm, serum, or pomade on their curls. Oils would also classify as serum and if you are a curly who doesn't seal, then you would be the first curly that I've come across who doesn't.

I stated that every curly is different however I have yet to hear a curly who doesn't use a balm, serum, or pomade on their curls. Oils would also classify as serum and if you are a curly who doesn't seal, then you would be the first curly that I've come across who doesn't.

I seal with 100% oils. My mom, naturally curly doesn't seal, just conditioner.

When I think of serums I think of products - such as Moroccan oil that contains silicone, little argan oil and loads of other stuff.

ok maybe a dumb q- but what does it mean to 'seal'? And why must it be done?

I am not sure what sealing means but in my hair it's really helpful to use a product that has some "hold." It helps my clumps stick together. Thousands of hairs all on the same curl pattern, clumping together...that looks like a really nice frizz-free curl. When I get a bunch of frizz-free clumps all over my head it kind of looks like scarlett johannsen's hair in Ironman...that's a good hair day!!!! :smile: If individual hairs come loose from the clump while it's drying, it looks frizzy.

I have been leaving my hair dripping wet and then putting in my product these last three mornings and it has made my curls more defined.

The challenge is not dripping all over the floor.

The best thing you can do is get a good cut for curly hair. I get my super curly long hair (way past the middle of my back) cut at Ouidad in NYC although I live in Washington, DC. It has really made a difference with the products that I use - all Ouidad.

I have curly long hair. After washing it I do gently squeeze out excess water then put a dime sized amount of moroccan oil through the ends and the length and just lightly near the scalp otherwise it looks greasy. I then let it dry naturally BUT i twist the curls with my fingers as I am drying them otherwise certain areas get frizzy. once dry I dont brush or comb but just detangle with my fingers and add more oil to the ends the next day as needed.

I give myself an olive-oil-honey treatment once a week (massage it into my roots and down the hair shaft and let sit with a showercap for 20 minutes, then shampoo out.) I found that this has eliminated my need for conditioner completely.

Brushing curly hair generally results in a giant frizz ball, but if your hair isn't corkscrews or anything there is a way to do it so that you get silky locks. It is the same method by which you brush out a pin-curl set (videos on youtube.) But, it takes forever.

Another method is to put your hair in big hot rollers for 20 minutes. When you take them out brush each lock around your hand to smooth it out. (Again, this probably won't work for corkscrew hair.)

Do all of you with curly hair have layers cut? My hair is bra strap length and has very long layers if any at all anymore. I think I have a few shorter pieces from breakage due to flat ironing and have been trying to wear my naturally curly hair natural so it can heal from the damage. The top later feels so unruly though and my stylist recommended adding layers, but I was somewhat hesitant so I opted not to for now.