Help - Canceling bids reasons - any good simple statements...

shinymagpie

vintage bag lady
Mar 29, 2008
Hi

Has anyone been in the situation where their instinct tells them to cancel a bid?

If so, what reasons do you put in the "reasons for canceling" box? Putting "Gut instinct" seems a bit blunt...:P

Could I get a couple of suggestions please. I don't want to put something too heavy - just can't think of a good neutral reason.

thanks in advance, ye oracles of eBay....

I canceled a bid and then put "didn't like bidder's feedback". Doesn't matter how blunt, you (seller) can cancel a bid for any reason. It is one of the few things left.

How about using a bit of bafflespeak such as, "Cancellation mandated by circumstances" or "Situational anomoly necessitated cancellation":P

:roflmfao: You are too funny. That would make me sound nearly as scary as the buyer.... I could just go with S. A. N. C. that would really puzzle them. They'd spend hours on a board trying to find out what it meant.

Or just say you won't sell to this bidder for personal reasons. Or don't write anything...if that's a choice. And don't forget to block them so they can't bid period.

Or just say you won't sell to this bidder for personal reasons. Or don't write anything...if that's a choice. And don't forget to block them so they can't bid period.

I think you have to put something.. I don't think it allows a blank.

Blocking doesn't always take effect on a live listing. It seems to be hit and miss.

How about using a bit of bafflespeak such as, "Cancellation mandated by circumstances" or "Situational anomoly necessitated cancellation"

Learned a new word, bafflespeak! Love it. I can use many variations of this in so many situations.

Can I ask why you want to cancel? I normally just take my chances, but if I noticed someone never pays or causes drama i would cancel. I just rarely think to look and I like giving people chances.

Can I ask why you want to cancel? I normally just take my chances, but if I noticed someone never pays or causes drama i would cancel. I just rarely think to look and I like giving people chances.

I like to think the best of people generally.

With non-payers, I noticed a pattern recently. So where there is a bidder with very low feedback, (especially new ones) I click on the user name (the link to their ebay My World page) and it shows you how many times someone has looked for more information about them. No one clicks on a user name unless there is a reason. Most people who are only buyers, have virtually no views recorded.

So low feedback eg 2 + high number of views of the My World page eg 9, is a bit of a red flag.

If the views are really high, I take the time to see how many things they are bidding on by using eBay advanced find items by bidder and drop their name in, for ended and as high bidder. Usually, I see that they are bidding on and winning a zillion things - red flag number 2.

Plus often, they have won things weeks earlier, for which there is no feedback Red Flag number 3! It probably means they didn't pay and the seller might have started a resolution process.

I know this is pretty forensic, but I got really sick of non-payers and looked at what was available just on eBay to see if I could spot them coming rather than being their time-wasting target.