Help! Can calfskin leather be repaired?

Hi everyone!

I'm kind of tired of dealing with Chloe customer service and this ordeal has been going on for 2 months. Long story short I bought a Faye and I asked if it needed to be treated for color transfer (it has a suede top), etc. They said no so I used my purse for a couple of hours , not running directly, and guess what major color transfer. So I tried to remove it and got out about 75% but under the light you could see the stain. So after 2 weeks they told me to send it back to them for cleaning charge free. So after 3 weeks I got it today and guess what, the stain is gone but there are several scratches on the calfskin. I'm so furious since I only got to use it once. They mishandled it so bad that the ends are bended. So I emailed them back and they say to send it back FOR REPAIR!!!! Can calfskin be repaired? What should I do?

Honestly, I wouldn't have taken what a random SA said, re. colour transfer, as gospel - I would prefer to trust the carecards.

I also wouldn't, personally, treat my bags when new, as I tend to think it ruins suede to waterproof it (it tends to go crunchy, in my experience!) and leather fibres can start to degrade.

So, I would just run the risk of a little colour transfer - even with two-sided bags you can always have a right/wrong side and only carry the bag that way.

However, as you were given incorrect information by one of their employees and then they damaged your bag, while it was in their possession and packed it badly, all that is their responsibility.

So, I really think they should have refunded you.

Their 7 day returns policy should only apply to change of mind ("buyer's remorse") type situations; not faulty/damaged goods.

The fact that you gave them the opportunity to clean the bag should not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.

Chloe corporate made a final decision and they said no at all as far as refund or exchange. They admitted to improperly packed the bag when it went for repair but they were firm with their decision as far as refund and exchange. It was quite an ordeal and a very stressful time. I sold the bag to a second hand store and bought a beautiful C de Cartier. That bag brought a lot of negativity to me and it was the best decision I made to sell it. I'm hoping fellow TPFers read this post and be careful with Chloe customer service.

^ Yeah, I really think (from what you say) they made the wrong decision, there.

I understand that the bag wasn't damaged/faulty when it, originally, left their store.

But, from what you say, it (very quickly) ended up that way, due to their actions; not yours.

If the bag had been six months old and/or well used, when all this happened, then to only offer a further free repair would be fair enough, I guess.

But, if you only used it once, then it's not OK.

You shouldn't (and don't) have to use a bag the day you get it to ensure you will be covered, if anything goes wrong.

It is perfectly reasonable to buy an item and then not use it for a few weeks.

If they suspected you had used the bag more than once (or a few times), then that would be a different matter, as it would no longer be a nearly new bag.

So, at that point, expecting them to replace an old bag with a new (or refund) would be unreasonable.

But, if not, their decision was unfair.

In future, they should probably consider telling their SAs to say nothing re. bag care and just refer customers to the care cards; rather than risk them giving out misinformation.

That way, any colour transfer would definitely have been your responsibility.

Even if they would still have been responsible for any (further) damage the repairers caused.

They should also have a word with their repairers re. taking care not to do further damage to items and safe packaging methods.

I used the bag only once and for a couple of hours. They confirmed it based on its appearance. They wouldn't offer repair if it wasn't the case. It took them 2 weeks to offer the repair. It was scratch free and that's hard for calfskin. After repair it was scratch all over and I was able to prove it with before and after pictures. Their sole decision was made by purchase day not their mistake. In my book that's poor customer service. I refused their apology gift and sold everything I had from this brand. I absolutely refuse to promote their brand. There are many luxury brands with high quality customer service.