Help! Calling All Cube Boy Owners

ThisVNchick

SGN<->SF<->DC<->CDG
O.G.
May 7, 2008
My husband bought me this bag last winter. I've used it 2-3 times since the acquisition. A couple days ago, I decided to put this bag back into my bag rotation but noticed that the finish on the lock hardware was wearing off. I am not abusive with my bags and can't understand how this could have happened. The bag itself could be passed as new, yet the hardware looks like I used the hell of the bag.

I'm quite disappointed in the quality, especially since it is Chanel. Has anyone experienced the same thing? If the bag is under a year old, and definitely looks like it never leaves its dust bag, will Chanel repair it for free? I've only sent one bag in for a light repair before (it was about 8-9 years old) so I don't know what to expect from Chanel.

Any input is greatly appreciated! ImageUploadedByPurseForum1407865545.224534.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1407865561.230426.jpg

Last edited:
Since your bag still under 1 year old, you may bring it back to where you buy from for repair without charge. This is unbelievable that such a beautiful bag has defect hardware.

I don't own a cube but others who do, some of them have had hardware issues similar to yours. Chanel should be aware of this problem so don't give them the chance to deny it.

Indeed, I have heard of others with this problem as well. One wonders what will happen when the year is up and this happens again? Chanel really should warranty "known problems/issues" for longer than the one year that is standard.

My husband bought me this bag last winter. I've used it 2-3 times since the acquisition. A couple days ago, I decided to put this bag back into my bag rotation but noticed that the finish on the lock hardware was wearing off. I am not abusive with my bags and can't understand how this could have happened. The bag itself could be passed as new, yet the hardware looks like I used the hell of the bag.

I'm quite disappointed in the quality, especially since it is Chanel. Has anyone experienced the same thing? If the bag is under a year old, and definitely looks like it never leaves its dust bag, will Chanel repair it for free? I've only sent one bag in for a light repair before (it was about 8-9 years old) so I don't know what to expect from Chanel.

Any input is greatly appreciated! View attachment 2716717View attachment 2716718

When I was hunting for a cube boy, I was told about this issue by an sa. Mine seems to have held up ok so far. Is yours black ? I didn't realise they produced it in black. It's one of the best versions of the boy IMO. Hopefully they can fix it for you, let us know.

My cube had the same issue. SA said that it is a known defect. He advised they could change the clasp at no cost and it shouldn't have this problem again. However, he insisted I opt for store credit instead. So not sure what Chanel would do if the bag is over a year....

Since your bag still under 1 year old, you may bring it back to where you buy from for repair without charge. This is unbelievable that such a beautiful bag has defect hardware.

I don't own a cube but others who do, some of them have had hardware issues similar to yours. Chanel should be aware of this problem so don't give them the chance to deny it.

Indeed, I have heard of others with this problem as well. One wonders what will happen when the year is up and this happens again? Chanel really should warranty "known problems/issues" for longer than the one year that is standard.

Thank you everyone. It makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one with this problem and that a repair is possible. I will be taking this bag to Chanel tomorrow and see what they say or can do about the issue.

My cube had the same issue. SA said that it is a known defect. He advised they could change the clasp at no cost and it shouldn't have this problem again. However, he insisted I opt for store credit instead. So not sure what Chanel would do if the bag is over a year....

DH bought it in December 2013, so it's only been 8 months. I've never heard of Chanel giving store credit after that long, but I am curious to find out if the repair will yield a non-defective product. I would hate to wait 6 weeks for the bag to come back from repair and find that after a couple of uses, it chips like this again. I'm just really disappointed. You'd think that if you dropped 5K on a bag, you wouldn't be expected to bring an 8 month old bag in for repair.

When I was hunting for a cube boy, I was told about this issue by an sa. Mine seems to have held up ok so far. Is yours black ? I didn't realise they produced it in black. It's one of the best versions of the boy IMO. Hopefully they can fix it for you, let us know.

The bag is the dark navy color. It's just really bad lighting and I snapped a quick photo on my camera phone so it looked darker than its actual shade. I'm planning to bring the bag to Chanel tomorrow and see what they have to say in terms of repair and long term repair if this continues to be the trend. Although someone else said that a repair should fix the issue. So maybe they fixed the problem with the new replacement locks? Who knows, but I will definitely update this thread for future references.

Thank you everyone. It makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one with this problem and that a repair is possible. I will be taking this bag to Chanel tomorrow and see what they say or can do about the issue.

DH bought it in December 2013, so it's only been 8 months. I've never heard of Chanel giving store credit after that long, but I am curious to find out if the repair will yield a non-defective product. I would hate to wait 6 weeks for the bag to come back from repair and find that after a couple of uses, it chips like this again. I'm just really disappointed. You'd think that if you dropped 5K on a bag, you wouldn't be expected to bring an 8 month old bag in for repair.
I agree a bag that's $5k should absolutely not have quality control issues like this, and to think it looks like this after only a couple of wears is just absurd.
The bag is the dark navy color. It's just really bad lighting and I snapped a quick photo on my camera phone so it looked darker than its actual shade. I'm planning to bring the bag to Chanel tomorrow and see what they have to say in terms of repair and long term repair if this continues to be the trend. Although someone else said that a repair should fix the issue. So maybe they fixed the problem with the new replacement locks? Who knows, but I will definitely update this thread for future references.
I really do hope they can provide you with a fix that is permanent or else a statement guaranteeing free repair of this fastener for as long as you own the bag.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm positive that Chanel will replace the lock hardware free of charge. They may also offer store credit (defective purse), but I would prefer to have it repaired, since this is one of the most beautiful boy purses IMO.

Any input is greatly appreciated! View attachment 2716717View attachment 2716718
i have heard of this happening before. but any bag under one year they should fix for free. i would give them a call.

I agree a bag that's $5k should absolutely not have quality control issues like this, and to think it looks like this after only a couple of wears is just absurd.

I really do hope they can provide you with a fix that is permanent or else a statement guaranteeing free repair of this fastener for as long as you own the bag.

After reading the comments from other members, I was pretty confident that Chanel would be "Ok, sure, we'll get this fixed asap". The reaction I received was so disheartening. Chanel DID NOT take it well that I was sending my bag in for repair. One of the SAs said "I don't think we can replace this". While the one who first approached me as I was walking in said she would file the paperwork and send the bag out for an "expert opinion". Owning other brands like Dior and Louis Vuitton, I know for a fact that those brands keep replacement parts for seasonal bags up to 5 years (I expect no less from Chanel). I would be surprised to get a phone call from Chanel and have Chanel tell me that they cannot fix this problem.
I am crossing my fingers that this ends well. Otherwise, I might just have to end my relationship with Chanel all together. My hard earned money can always go else where it is much appreciated.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm positive that Chanel will replace the lock hardware free of charge. They may also offer store credit (defective purse), but I would prefer to have it repaired, since this is one of the most beautiful boy purses IMO.

Yes, this is the only Le Boy that I own. I usually feel only the classics are worth investing in, but I caved based on this design. I would rather have the bag be fixed than take store credit.

i have heard of this happening before. but any bag under one year they should fix for free. i would give them a call.

They said it would be free of charge but if they're able to repair it is another question.

After reading the comments from other members, I was pretty confident that Chanel would be "Ok, sure, we'll get this fixed asap". The reaction I received was so disheartening. Chanel DID NOT take it well that I was sending my bag in for repair. One of the SAs said "I don't think we can replace this". While the one who first approached me as I was walking in said she would file the paperwork and send the bag out for an "expert opinion". Owning other brands like Dior and Louis Vuitton, I know for a fact that those brands keep replacement parts for seasonal bags up to 5 years (I expect no less from Chanel). I would be surprised to get a phone call from Chanel and have Chanel tell me that they cannot fix this problem.
I am crossing my fingers that this ends well. Otherwise, I might just have to end my relationship with Chanel all together. My hard earned money can always go else where it is much appreciated.

Yes, this is the only Le Boy that I own. I usually feel only the classics are worth investing in, but I caved based on this design. I would rather have the bag be fixed than take store credit.

They said it would be free of charge but if they're able to repair it is another question.
Oh no. I'm so sorry they treated you like this. I agree they should keep replacement parts for at least 5 years (for cars, by law they have to make parts available for 10 years after the last car rolls off the line). To say they don't know and have an attitude about it just isn't right. I do worry what if they can fix it and it happens again what will be the case when it's out of warranty and you can't force the issue? I don't blame you for being upset; this would never happen with Dior. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, but do ask when it's all said and done (if they do repair it) what will happen once it happens again. :/