Help! Buyer wants to return for change of mind

bliss_cathy

Jan 30, 2014
I'm so upset,

I sold an item to a buyer in the 29/4. I should have known it was going to be a problem. She asked for an extension of payment for a week which I allowed and she paid on the 6/5. I sent the item the next day however she only received the item today as there was a delay with delivery (I think as she was not home so it took a couple of attempts) I had the item on tracking with signature on delivery.

My ebay account does say that I allow a 7 day return policy, however it has been so long I presumed everything was okay. My return policy is one of the automatic ones ebay provides as an option, and I presumed it would be for if there was a problem with the ring, not just a change of mind.

This is the message she sent me today

"Hi there, sorry to do this to you but I need to return the ring. I just got it this morning and Its not what I thought its actually for my mum but I thought I got the right one but it's different to the one she wanted.
Its completely my fault, so sorry about this can I pls send back and get my money back"

She is completely open to leaving negative feedback as well. I'm also upset as he FVF for this item were waived as a courtesy from ebay which I will lose.

Is there anything I can do, or do I have to go ahead and take the return because of her mistake?

Thank you in advance.

I'm so upset,

I sold an item to a buyer in the 29/4. I should have known it was going to be a problem. She asked for an extension of payment for a week which I allowed and she paid on the 6/5. I sent the item the next day however she only received the item today as there was a delay with delivery (I think as she was not home so it took a couple of attempts) I had the item on tracking with signature on delivery.

My ebay account does say that I allow a 7 day return policy, however it has been so long I presumed everything was okay. My return policy is one of the automatic ones ebay provides as an option, and I presumed it would be for if there was a problem with the ring, not just a change of mind.

"Hi there, sorry to do this to you but I need to return the ring. I just got it this morning and Its not what I thought its actually for my mum but I thought I got the right one but it's different to the one she wanted.
Its completely my fault, so sorry about this can I pls send back and get my money back"

She is completely open to leaving negative feedback as well. I'm also upset as he FVF for this item were waived as a courtesy from ebay which I will lose.

Is there anything I can do, or do I have to go ahead and take the return because of her mistake?

Thank you in advance.
You have to take the return. If you offer a return policy it is for any reason. She just got the ring and notified you immediately that she wanted to send it back. She must pay return shipping. Once you get it back, inspect it carefully, refund her and then send her a cancellation request to recoup your fees.

I'm so upset,

Thank you in advance.

You are wrong about your return policy. Sellers who have a return policy MUST allow returns for a minimum of 14 days and the return period is from the date of receipt.

If she received the item today, she has until May 28 to decide whether or not she wants to return it and she can do so for any reason. (Sellers with a return policy must accept returns for any reason.)

This is the refund policy on my page: I presumed there had to be a problem, but does it also include change of mind?
Apparently ebay.au allows a 7 day return policy but again, it's a return for any reason.

What the AU law says is that if an item is SNAD, you must accept a return, but in this case, with your policy, you are obligated to take it back.

Here's the policy on the Australian website. Note that you have to specify restrictions, limits and timeframe in your "additional information" section. But you didn't do that.

In any case, it is irrelevant when you sent the item. The buyer had no way of knowing whether she would want it or not until after receiving it. So her timeframe to return begins upon receipt.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/your-return-policy.html

A clear returns policy can reassure buyers

Even if you are not required by law to provide returns to your buyers for change of mind or incorrect choice purchases, there are other good reasons for doing so. eBay’s research shows that difficulty in returning items is the most common shopping barrier for buyers. So if you clearly spell out your returns policy in your listings you'll have an edge on the competition.
eBay’s research also shows that only a very small percentage of sold items are actually returned.
How to specify your returns policy
If you accept returns for change of mind or incorrect choice, in the Additional Information section of the Sell Your Item form, take the following steps:

• Select Returns accepted
  • Select the time limit within which the buyer must return the item to you
  • Select the type of remedy you offer (e.g. replacement or refund) if the item is returned
  • Enter all other details about your returns policy in the Return Policy Details text box.
Mention the details up front
Consider including details like the following to make your returns policy clear and complete:

• Postage and handling charges: Clearly state who would pay for return postage and handling – you or the buyer – and if you will refund the original postage charges
  • Item condition: Clearly state the condition of the returned item that would be acceptable to you. For example, "unopened box" or "opened box with all original materials". Remember that this condition will not limit a buyer’s rights to return goods without intact packaging if they are defective or otherwise don’t comply with the Australian Consumer Law.
    Custom settings for payment, postage & returns information
    From May 2013, sellers can also opt in to a new way to create and manage their own custom settings for payment, postage and returns information. Known as ‘business policies’, these custom settings can be easily applied to listings and managed from one central location within My eBay.

Apparently ebay.au allows a 7 day return policy but again, it's a return for any reason.

What the AU law says is that if an item is SNAD, you must accept a return, but in this case, with your policy, you are obligated to take it back.
Hello, I just rung ebay and asked them to look at the listing. They said that the refund is only provided if the item is not as described, faulty...ie the list I linked to. They said that I do not need to take do the refund as it is clear to them on the listing that the return policy is only if there is a problem with the item.

I asked is there anything on my listing that says I would take a return for change of mind and they said definitely no.

I have asked about negative feedback - they said that as the listing is very clear on the return policy and the buyer has said it is her own fault thst there would be a very strong case to remove negative feedback if she does that.

I did speak to two different departments and both departments did say that my return policy is very clear that it is not for change of mind.

Also, yes I am aware the 7 days is from the date of receiving the item.

Can ebay be wrong in this instance?

They gave me a reference number to refer back to the conversations if there is further drama from the buyer so they can document if anything further happens like a claim of damage etc.

This is an example of an Australian return policy that allows for change of mind. Ebay said that my listing clearly does not have these additional terms so it follows the returns scenario as stated in my previous email that change of mind is not included.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 376
This is the refund policy on my page: I presumed there had to be a problem, but does it also include change of mind?

Oh you're in Australia. TBH, I really don't know then. I still read it to mean that you're supposed to accept the return and the listed information is just a legal ******** but I have no idea about the rules on eBay's au site.

LOL. I didn't say anything objectionable, I swear (I mean, I didn't swear!). Have no idea why that was edited.

But anyway, yeah. eBay will not help you at all if you get negged regardless of what they might say to you on the phone.

Last edited:
Can ebay be wrong in this instance?

They gave me a reference number to refer back to the conversations if there is further drama from the buyer so they can document if anything further happens like a claim of damage etc.
I think this is another instance where ebay is telling you what you want to hear in order to get you off the phone. It happens all the time.

As I read and interpret the policy (according to the ebay link re return policies), I'm understanding it to mean that you can have restrictions (i.e., not as described) but you need to specify it in the listing just as the other seller did in the example you posted.

Your policy as shown in your own screenshot doesn't state anything about limiting returns and not honoring them for buyer's remorse and I think you're obligated to take the return.

As for feedback, I strongly doubt that ebay will remove a feedback if the buyer negs you for not accepting a return when your own policy states a 7-day return policy.

I just spoke to ebay again and asked them to revise the listing again. They assured me that I do not need to do anything for change of mind.

The specific reasons are apparently listed in the returns policy on that sentence I screen shot and also the hype link I also took a screen shot of.

If I were to take a return based on change of mind, ebay said I would need to explicitly state it.

I also rung PayPal and asked whether I dispute can be filed through PayPal and they also stood by what ebay said.

That's quite a few different people saying the same thing?

I've never encountered a return before, so when I ring up ebay I am asking ebay for advice on what to do.

They said the case for not giving a return was extremely strong, and if it came to negative feedback they would review it, and it would be a strong case to be removed as they said the returns policy is very clear on the listing. They said the reasons for the returns are what are explained in that one sentence and the hyperlink.

I've just got a follow up email threatening to leave negative feedback if I don't do what she wants.

Its a bit of drama so I'll probably just issue the refund - too much stress otherwise.

Ebay did say that the listing does not include a change of mind and from what I've been told, in Australia if you set up a return policy manually, then you need to state under what reasons you will return and state of you include change of mind, including this can help you be a power seller etc. However if the return is the automatic ebay one, it just goes to the ebay policies as listed which is not including change of mind.

I think I need to make it clear on my ebay page what the terms are, otherwise from what I've been told it defaults to Australian ebay terms.

You are probably best in taking the return. This is an aggressive buyer at the moment
& you don't want to antagonize her any more than needed.

In your future listings, perhaps say that no returns are allowed & you are covered.

As far as the feedback goes, if she leaves you neutral/negative you can attempt to
have it removed or you can respond to it.

It you have 100% positive feedback, your feedback speaks for itself. Any potential
buyer who will look at your feedback, can read between the lines, IYKWIM

Many buyers today use"change of mind" as an excuse to return an item which is
so inappropriate.

Last edited: