Help!.. buyer is claiming Vuitton handbag is counterfeit and opened a dispute :(

*laura*

O.G.
Apr 6, 2010
I have been buying and selling on eBay rarely but for over 3 years now and have always had 100% feedback. Anyway i sold a Louis Vuitton from my personal collection at the beginning of the month and sent it off to Canada i received positive feedback as expected and didn't think anything of it. Now nearly a month later the buyer has opened a case with Paypal claiming the bag to be fake :wtf: tbh she got a good deal with the bag as it was like new and i sold it for a fraction of what i purchased it for, as i needed funds quickly to purchase i new bag (i have a one in, one out policy lol). What can i do? as i really cannot afford to and shouldn't have to refund her clearly for what is buyers remorse! I have replied on the dispute message board stating that it IS authentic, i'm an honest seller etc. I cannot see how see can now backtrack after leaving me positive feedback praising the sale. And what is laughable is she's a new member of eBay (only joined in Aug 2011) who only purchases handbags from what i can see in her history (like 20 a month? :wtf:) and mine looks the only authentic one she's purchased there are some really bad LV and Burberry copies which she paid top $ for!!!

I've never in my time on eBay experienced Paypal disputes so could use some advice...

Anyone had any experiences like this?
Any advice as to what i should do?
Do you think it will go in her favour or mine from past experience?

Thank you! x

Maybe get caroldiva to authenticate it for you and submit that as proof? Or have it authenticated here and then send her the link.

It could just be buyers remorse if she overspent.

Sadly, Ebay has little respect for a sellers good track record vs a newbie buyer. It sounds like your buyer is one of those who wouldn't know the real deal if it bit her. I have seen it so many times where they are familiar with fakes since that is all they know and so of course the real thing looks different. Not to mention all the bad 'guides' floating around the interwebs.

Good Luck!

you should get the bag authenticated as suggested above... it very well could also
be buyers remorse.. has she told you why she thinks your bag is a fake? that would
be interesting to know...keep us posted

I have been buying and selling on eBay rarely but for over 3 years now and have always had 100% feedback. Anyway i sold a Louis Vuitton from my personal collection at the beginning of the month and sent it off to Canada i received positive feedback as expected and didn't think anything of it. Now nearly a month later the buyer has opened a case with Paypal claiming the bag to be fake :wtf: tbh she got a good deal with the bag as it was like new and i sold it for a fraction of what i purchased it for, as i needed funds quickly to purchase i new bag (i have a one in, one out policy lol). What can i do? as i really cannot afford to and shouldn't have to refund her clearly for what is buyers remorse! I have replied on the dispute message board stating that it IS authentic, i'm an honest seller etc. I cannot see how see can now backtrack after leaving me positive feedback praising the sale. And what is laughable is she's a new member of eBay (only joined in Aug 2011) who only purchases handbags from what i can see in her history (like 20 a month? :wtf:) and mine looks the only authentic one she's purchased there are some really bad LV and Burberry copies which she paid top $ for!!!

I've never in my time on eBay experienced Paypal disputes so could use some advice...

Anyone had any experiences like this?
Any advice as to what i should do?
Do you think it will go in her favour or mine from past experience?

Thank you! x

I don't want to sound alarmist, but this would worry me a bit. This is not typical behaviour. So you probably want to get your guard up a bit.

There are a number of outcomes that could happen here:
- you could win the dispute
- you could lose the dispute and the buyer returns the same bag
- you could lose the dispute and the buyer returns a different (fake) bag
- you could lose the dispute and Paypal advises the buyer to destroy the bag

I would say one of the first two is a significantly greater possibility than either of the last two. I really don't want to alarm you but would still be wary. I would call Paypal and express your concerns. Being politely visible and vocal in these situations can work in your favour. If you don't get someone helpful the first time, keep calling. Ask if an official authentication would result in a win for you. Good luck.

northerndancer said:
I don't want to sound alarmist, but this would worry me a bit. This is not typical behaviour. So you probably want to get your guard up a bit.

There are a number of outcomes that could happen here:
- you could win the dispute
- you could lose the dispute and the buyer returns the same bag
- you could lose the dispute and the buyer returns a different (fake) bag
- you could lose the dispute and Paypal advises the buyer to destroy the bag

I would say one of the first two is a significantly greater possibility than either of the last two. I really don't want to alarm you but would still be wary. I would call Paypal and express your concerns. Being politely visible and vocal in these situations can work in your favour. If you don't get someone helpful the first time, keep calling. Ask if an official authentication would result in a win for you. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will give Paypal a ring in the morning and post the outcome of the call. Really fed up atm had the worst month and this just tops it all so annoying some people are just unbelievable!.. Really don't have the funds to be issuing buyers remorse refunds I'm not a business seller, I'm a nurse with a small private collection of bags :sad:

Contacted Paypal today to express my concerns they were helpful but couldn't get involved unless the claim is escalated which is fair enough.. which i will then need to prove its authentic with a receipt trouble i've got is i sent the original receipt with the bag (sooo stupid i know, i just didn't think!). I heard you can get them reprinted in store but my nearest store is an hours drive away (they are few and far between in the UK) and i simply do not have the time or energy to travel there as i've been in an out of hospital poorly recently :sad: I was thinking of offering to partial refund (minus selling fees and extra i spent on express international postage) on receipt of the handbag in the same condition... Does this seem a fair bet?.. just so fed up of the hassle tbh :sad:

Contacted Paypal today to express my concerns they were helpful but couldn't get involved unless the claim is escalated which is fair enough.. which i will then need to prove its authentic with a receipt trouble i've got is i sent the original receipt with the bag (sooo stupid i know, i just didn't think!). I heard you can get them reprinted in store but my nearest store is an hours drive away (they are few and far between in the UK) and i simply do not have the time or energy to travel there as i've been in an out of hospital poorly recently :sad: I was thinking of offering to partial refund (minus selling fees and extra i spent on express international postage) on receipt of the handbag in the same condition... Does this seem a fair bet?.. just so fed up of the hassle tbh :sad:

A partial refund for what? Buyer is nuts and pushy!
You have two options:
One you don't take bag back and buyer will give you negative feedback and ding your stars. Since bag is authentic, buyer is out of luck. Although she might file for chargeback.

Two take bag back risk a switcheroo or buyer is happy and either does not leave
feedback or leave appropriate feedback.

What kind of LV is it?

I know you don't want to do a refund, but since the buyer is in another country you could offer a refund if they return the item to you by express mail with signature confirmation. Something tells me the buyer isn't going to want to pay $35 or more to return the bag (return shipping is NOT reimbursed). Whatever you do, don't give the buyer a dime until you either have the bag back in your hands or they agree to the partial refund through the dispute process.

A partial refund for what? Buyer is nuts and pushy!
You have two options:
One you don't take bag back and buyer will give you negative feedback and ding your stars. Since bag is authentic, buyer is out of luck. Although she might file for chargeback.

Two take bag back risk a switcheroo or buyer is happy and either does not leave
feedback or leave appropriate feedback.

What kind of LV is it?

The buyer has already left positive feedback for it and is now opened a case nearly a month later.. very confusing and frustrating as i purchased it myself from my local boutique. It's an Etoile shopper. I just want the whole orderel over i've got enough to stress about atm.. Really worried as i don't know where i would stand if she has switched the bag :sad:

I know you don't want to do a refund, but since the buyer is in another country you could offer a refund if they return the item to you by express mail with signature confirmation. Something tells me the buyer isn't going to want to pay $35 or more to return the bag (return shipping is NOT reimbursed). Whatever you do, don't give the buyer a dime until you either have the bag back in your hands or they agree to the partial refund through the dispute process.

Excellent point. Buyer will not want to dish out $35.
If you decide to go that way, only refund once you know bag is the original to start with.
IMO, the buyer did a rent a bag on you.
Sorry, op.

The buyer has already left positive feedback for it and is now opened a case nearly a month later.. very confusing and frustrating as i purchased it myself from my local boutique. It's an Etoile shopper. I just want the whole orderel over i've got enough to stress about atm.. Really worried as i don't know where i would stand if she has switched the bag :sad:

You could also suggest that she sells the bag herself. the Etoile is in demand, imo.

If you feel like taking one more kick at it, you could ask Paypal if an authentication from Carol Diva would be enough proof.

Sometimes, and for some people, fighting just isn't worth the hassle. If you do decide it is not worth it, you could offer a return minus the original shipping. Once the bag is returned and the money refunded, you can request a mutual cancellation of the transaction to recover your ebay final value fees from ebay and your Paypal fees will be refunded by Paypal so you don't need to deduct selling fees from the return.

If you let it go to dispute and you lose, you would be required to refund the purchase price plus the original shipping. But you would still get all your selling fees back.

Because of the buyer's questionable buying behaviour, you may want to have someone witness you opening the returned package.

*** UPDATE ***

Ok, so i offered the buyer a partial refund (minus my selling fees) on the basis she returns the bag in original condition sent with all documentation etc. Now she's claiming that she wants the refund but she has damaged the bag by accident (broken a piece of brassware off it apparently?)... the cheek of it! so shes claming it to be counterfiet (its not!) when offered a refund on returning it in orginal condition... she cant but still wants a refund because the bag is apparently counterfeit... so shes got it in her mind she can keep the bag and i will give her a refund...

how do i respond to this???... i want to be polite but my blood is boiling :sad: