Help!.. buyer is claiming Vuitton handbag is counterfeit and opened a dispute :(

your buyer has damaged this bag & you can no longer sell it in the condition that
it is in.... you will not be able to accept the return and suggest that you
call ebay/pp to see what your other options might be... by the way did she
send you this e-mail through ebay?

your buyer has damaged this bag & you can no longer sell it in the condition that
it is in.... you will not be able to accept the return and suggest that you
call ebay/pp to see what your other options might be... by the way did she
send you this e-mail through ebay?

she opened a Paypal dispute... we are communicating through the message board

Tell your buyer to take the bag to the LV boutique to get the broken part repaired. When they accept the bag...case closed its authentic!! They wont repair a fake bag. Hopefully your buyer lives near a boutique and this is good enough for her. You cant give a refund on a broken handbag. The etoile is a large amount...im guess you sold this for 2,000 plus. Might just have to drive to the store to get the reciept. Figure its 1,000 an hour your making and think of it that way. Or see if they can fax a copy of reciept as suggested.

You could also tell buyer to return handbag and you will get quote to repair the rivet and deduct that from her refund. It should be free or very low 100 or less to pop a rivet back on. so take 200 off the refund (time spent driving, your hassle and repair).

*** UPDATE ***

Ok, so i offered the buyer a partial refund (minus my selling fees) on the basis she returns the bag in original condition sent with all documentation etc. Now she's claiming that she wants the refund but she has damaged the bag by accident (broken a piece of brassware off it apparently?)... the cheek of it! so shes claming it to be counterfiet (its not!) when offered a refund on returning it in orginal condition... she cant but still wants a refund because the bag is apparently counterfeit... so shes got it in her mind she can keep the bag and i will give her a refund...

how do i respond to this???... i want to be polite but my blood is boiling :sad:

she opened a Paypal dispute... we are communicating through the message board
Your buyer is FOS. I'm glad the communication is through the dispute console.

Respond to the "damage" message with something to the effect of:

"I've offered a refund (less shipping and fees) upon return as long as it was returned in the condition I sent it. Now the buyer is ADMITTING to damaging it so the item is no longer in the condition I sent it. I cannot accept a return of a damaged item. Louis Vuitton will repair damaged items so buyer can have her item repaired by LV and is welcome to resell the bag. And since LV will only repair authentic items, the items authenticity will be proven."

Wait for other opinions on this. Generally, we don't recommend sellers escalate, but since you've proven both that the item is no longer in the original condition and that LV will do a repair, I'd suggest escalating. HOpefully, ebay will see the folly in her claim.

So ..
1) the buyer gives you positive feedback
2) then a month later, they file a Paypal dispute??
3) the buyer then admits that they've "damaged" the bag!

I find this disturbing on so many levels; I'm surprised that Paypal would even consider refunding the buyer! There should be a statute of limitation on the amount of time that has transpired (re: sale/receipt of merchandise)!

I had a (somewhat) similar situation sometime back .. also selling an LV bag (
Denim Baggy GM Shoulder). It was a brand new/never used bag which my husband had purchased for me when we were on holiday in France. The buyer claimed that it wasn't "new" (obviously she was unfamiliar with the product because the Denim is supposed to look distressed) and then said it wasn't authentic (even though I had all the cards and had taken pics of the stamp inside the bag, etc.). Unfortunately, I didn't have the sales slip because it was a gift.

What really ****ed me off, is that Paypal took the funds out of my Paypal Account before any decision had been made! As such, I called them directly and asked to speak to a Manager. The Manager indicated that, in fact, a "hold" was put on the funds .. they wouldn't be distributed until a decision was made. I made sure to provide all pictures, etc. through the appropriate channels. Interestingly enough, the Paypal personnel noticed that the buyer seemed to have a history of "returning" items/filing disputes. More importantly, the Paypal personnel informed me that the buyer had to send the item back (using Tracking info) and that the item had to be in the same condition as what was sent to her!! Well, 'lo and behold, the item WAS NOT in the same condition .. it was obvious that she had used the bag! Since Paypal had the "before" pictures, I only needed to provide the "after" pictures where they could see that it was not in the same condition.

Mind you, all of this took about a month before it all got sorted out, but I persisted and finally won (I have been selling on eBay for a very long time and have 100% feedback). Bottom line .. the buyer only got about 25% back because it was obvious that she had damaged the bag. After all was done, I BLOCKED her on eBay!!
Good luck!!!

To take back the bag now with a damage that the buyer admits to is not right

She can repair the bag at her expense since she broke it and I would try very

hard to locate or get a duplicate of the receipt.... you need to contact PP

and re-inforce that the buyer has damaged a bag after keeping it for 30 days

there might be other damaged like from wear that the buyer hasn't disclosed..

you are going to have to go to battle for this... this is a very manipulative

& underhanded buyer, IMO....and perhaps OP call a LV store to see what the

cost would be to do a repair of this nature...so at least you have an idea that

if you do have to take the bag back what a repair & possible refurbishing may cost..

Your buyer is a friggin idiot. Explain to her that Ebay works just like you ordered anything else online... you don't get refunded until you return the item to the seller. Period.

I feel for you having to deal with this moron!!

So ..
1) the buyer gives you positive feedback
2) then a month later, they file a Paypal dispute??
3) the buyer then admits that they've "damaged" the bag!

I find this disturbing on so many levels; I'm surprised that Paypal would even consider refunding the buyer! There should be a statute of limitation on the amount of time that has transpired (re: sale/receipt of merchandise)!

I had a (somewhat) similar situation sometime back .. also selling an LV bag (Denim Baggy GM Shoulder). It was a brand new/never used bag which my husband had purchased for me when we were on holiday in France. The buyer claimed that it wasn't "new" (obviously she was unfamiliar with the product because the Denim is supposed to look distressed) and then said it wasn't authentic (even though I had all the cards and had taken pics of the stamp inside the bag, etc.). Unfortunately, I didn't have the sales slip because it was a gift.

What really ****ed me off, is that Paypal took the funds out of my Paypal Account before any decision had been made! As such, I called them directly and asked to speak to a Manager. The Manager indicated that, in fact, a "hold" was put on the funds .. they wouldn't be distributed until a decision was made. I made sure to provide all pictures, etc. through the appropriate channels. Interestingly enough, the Paypal personnel noticed that the buyer seemed to have a history of "returning" items/filing disputes. More importantly, the Paypal personnel informed me that the buyer had to send the item back (using Tracking info) and that the item had to be in the same condition as what was sent to her!! Well, 'lo and behold, the item WAS NOT in the same condition .. it was obvious that she had used the bag! Since Paypal had the "before" pictures, I only needed to provide the "after" pictures where they could see that it was not in the same condition.

Mind you, all of this took about a month before it all got sorted out, but I persisted and finally won (I have been selling on eBay for a very long time and have 100% feedback). Bottom line .. the buyer only got about 25% back because it was obvious that she had damaged the bag. After all was done, I BLOCKED her on eBay!! Good luck!!!

There is a statute of limitations which is 45 days from the date of payment. Pretty generous most of the time although sometimes buyers (esp international) receive items pretty close to the 45 day limit.

And, yeah, Paypal grabs the funds and "holds" them pending resolution.

That she was a sketchy buyer and you had a good seller reputation probably helped your case.

It sounds like Paypal reduced the amount of the refund you were required to give because of the change in condition. If the OP can get the bag returned and only give back 25% that might not be a bad deal.

But I do think this case is more winnable now than before because of the damage. I'd be tempted to fight it.

Yes, I agree this is worth fighting... unfortunately the buyer if she paid
with a credit card can do a chargeback.... with most credit cards there
is not always a time limit ..some give you up to & including 6 months +
and the big point would be is that the buyer has written that she
damaged the bag... why would anybody expect to think that a seller
should take bag a damaged bag and that also might have been used in the
past 30 days??

Thanks for everyones help :smile:
I will keep up the fight there is no way i'm taking it back damaged and will probably incorporate a day out with going to the LV store and getting a print out of the receipt... so annoying as i sent the original receipt with the bag (will not be doing that again!). If i come back with a copy of the receipt, my positive feedback versus newbee, the damage to the bag and the fact i've been very corporative and accommodating i'm hoping it will go in my favour... because thats only fair!
This has really put me off selling on eBay :sad: and Paypal have a cheek as mentioned by *CeeJay* of taking your account into negative balance until the case is sorted.. that has really annoyed me too!

Thanks for everyones help :smile:
I will keep up the fight there is no way i'm taking it back damaged and will probably incorporate a day out with going to the LV store and getting a print out of the receipt... so annoying as i sent the original receipt with the bag (will not be doing that again!). If i come back with a copy of the receipt, my positive feedback versus newbee, the damage to the bag and the fact i've been very corporative and accommodating i'm hoping it will go in my favour... because thats only fair!
This has really put me off selling on eBay :sad: and Paypal have a cheek as mentioned by *CeeJay* of taking your account into negative balance until the case is sorted.. that has really annoyed me too!

Rooting for you! This pest is about to lose the case!

Sorry this happened to you, OP!
You have just experienced the nightmare that is now eBay.
Can you post your buyers ID?

Ok, just how in the hell do you break a piece of the hardware? :confused1:
I have had 15-20 year old LV and it was always the canvas or the leather that finally started wearing out. I have never had a piece of hardware go bad on me.