Help! Bristol vs. Small Satchel

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I have them both in violet unused, and one has to go back.

The satchel is gorgeous, the leather seems richer somehow but the small opening looks like it's going to be annoying.

The Bristol makes more sense all-around. It's so much easier to get into and the slip pocket for my phone is so smart - but the bag seems more "plain," if that makes any sense.

If I hadn't seen the satchel I know I'd be in love with the Bristol.

I thought that fellow TPFers would understand my dilemma - any advice?

2. I don't have either but I've seen them both in stores. I prefer the style of the Bristol to the satchel. The dimensions and the large opening are more practical for my needs. I need a bag with a large opening and shaped in such a way that my things wouldn't get shuffled around inside it.

3. If you're anything like me, if you don't chose the one you are leaning toward a little more, you will end up with it again eventually. :smile:

That said , I own the pebbled leather dome buckle satchel from QVC, which is essentially the same bag as the Bristol. I love the functionality of it. I absolutely love the outside cell phone pocket. Why doesn't Peter make every bag with this? The wide opening is great and the bag has a ton of room inside. I do not own the small satchel, but I have the Croco fino satchel and the Stanwich satchel with the similar fold over top and the narrower opening and I do find it cumbersome to get inside and find things. I don't let it stop me from carrying them because I love them and I just put up with it. I suggest you chose what's more important to you, style or function and then go from there. Can we see pictures?

4. Absolutely! I'll snap a few tomorrow.

I think you're right about eventually ending up with the bag I love regardless, maybe the satchel would be better in a more universal color down the road.

Every time I think I've made up my mind, it changes again!

5. Here are some pics - I included a side-by-side for comparison purposes

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1396189333.678110.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1396189350.557982.jpg ImageUploadedByPurseForum1396189360.158168.jpg

6. Thanks for the pictures. They are both really cute. I can see why you're having a hard time deciding. I'm surprised at how slouchy the Bristol is. It really is a nice functional bag to carry. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you chose that one. Maybe put your things in both of them and try them out while at home. Knowing that you'll have the other one in another color later on down the road will help make the decision easier.

7. Your advice really helps. They are so similar, and the Bristol is more manageable.

I think I will fill them up and see -but that small opening doesn't bode we'll for the satchel!

8. Happy to help :smile: I know whatnot you mean. I did order the small Toledo satchel from Dooney awhile back. It was so pretty and so cute, but I ended up sending it back. The top opening was just so small and it was hard to see inside and get inside. I have big hands. Lol. I know others don't mind, it's just what your preference is. However if I like a bag enough I would put up with it. :smile: it might bug me more if I used the same bag everyday. I've been switching them everyday though so it doesn't give me much time to get annoyed with a bag. That might be something to consider as well.

9. I love the small satchel. I will say I love looking at it more than I enjoy using it because of the small opening. I actually like the look of this color in the Bristol. Some mod shots might help with the decision.

10. I choose Bristol from the front and satchel fron the side. Does that help? :biggrin::biggrin:

Is there another violet bag that has the best of both?

11. Both pretty! Tough call. I love both. Do you have any Satchels? Because then I would say keep the Bristol. Or if you have a Bristol, keep the Satchel.
    I can't decide. They both have their own perks. But the opening of the Bristol looks nice and wide.
    Good luck!!!

12. I am really leaning towards the Bristol now, I can always get the satchel in another color and it would work well in a winter shade.

I agree, I like the satchel better from the side. Maybe my purse organizer will help it keep its shape.

I'm still not 100% sold, but I really do appreciate the advice.

13. I like the Bristol better, if you think its "plain" add an accessory like a scarf to make it more yours

14. I choose the Bristol, seems more functional to get in and out of the bag. Good luck with your decision. I say - go with your gut!