HELP! Breitling watch strap - generic or no?

Shigeru

A Dude
Sep 18, 2010
OK, I need some other peoples' opinions.

A family member of mine has a nice $5k+ Breitling Navitimer that needs a new strap. As a surprise present, I am going to replace it.

It currently has a falling apart generic (something like Spiedel) leather band, not the original band.

A new Breitling-branded strap is $160 from Tourneau.

A looks-exactly-the-same (black calfskin, padded, white stitching) generic from Tourneau is $40.

I am also going to check my watchmaker's price for a generic strap.

The owner of the watch does NOT care about brands/luxury, and the Breitling is an heirloom.

So...help? Thoughts? Opinions?

If it was MINE, I'd buy the Breitling one, but I know said family member would buy (for themself) the less expensive but feels/looks the same one.

Attachment: Navitimer from breitlingblog.com

Attachments

• navi.jpg
    navi.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 362
My biggest concern is that if I shell out the extra $$$, it would not go appreciated (and maybe even the opposite...).

Visually the items are identical except for stamps on the inside of the strap and the tiny hardware buckle.

I think I should do some research as to how said gifted person would feel if they knew how much the strap cost. Fact is, they don't even know how much the watch retails for. If the "feeling upon finding out" would be annoyance (or a similar negative emotion), then I probably shouldn't.

I could always play it safe and buy the Tourneau-brand one to "hold it over" for a year. See how much the watch is worn...currently, it's practically never.

(Oh yeah, my watchmaker does not have the right size/style in stock...but the retail for a low-end generic is around $30, so he agreed that the padded Tourneau one is priced pretty fairly.)

Last post before bed, promise! ;)

Talked to another family member who said that -they- would get the Breitling branded one...though that doesn't solve much of anything...it does go with the general consensus here!

At least I have a bit of time to think things over. :sleepy:

Oops, never updated this.

I did eventually buy the Breitling one. After all, it is an heirloom from someone no longer with us, and I think it deserved the best!

Family member loved it. :smile: