Help! Brand New but HW Tarnishing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

revangelina

My Playground IG: @mytoyischanel
Jan 27, 2015
Help girls, I'm mostly a Chanel enthusiast. Idk much bout Hermes care n maintenance.

Anyhoo, so my DH bought this Kelly bracelet for me last year. It's so gorgeous that I haven't worn it. Still in the box, cling plastic still on.

BUT to my horror today!!!!! :sad: What is this! I have a gzallion much older Balenciaga bracelets. Heck, I have so many random bracelets, none turned this way! And this is supposedly the priciest leather bracelets I have :sad:. I'm super sad. What is going on??

Attachments

• IMG_6184.JPG
    IMG_6184.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 449
Help girls, I'm mostly a Chanel enthusiast. Idk much bout Hermes care n maintenance.

Anyhoo, so my DH bought this Kelly bracelet for me last year. It's so gorgeous that I haven't worn it. Still in the box, cling plastic still on.

BUT to my horror today!!!!! :sad: What is this! I have a gzallion much older Balenciaga bracelets. Heck, I have so many random bracelets, none turned this way! And this is supposedly the priciest leather bracelets I have :sad:. I'm super sad. What is going on??

Get that straight to an Hermes store, they will replace it or send it for refurb. Did you keep it in a humid environment by any chance? I've never seen that before

Reactions: prepster
Get that straight to an Hermes store, they will replace it or send it for refurb. Did you keep it in a humid environment by any chance? I've never seen that before

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm so worried! It's always been in the box, inside my cupboard. Airconditioned room always as it's a humid tropical country where I live. But this has never happened to any of my hw from other brands. Even ones from a decade ago

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm so worried! It's always been in the box, inside my cupboard. Airconditioned room always as it's a humid tropical country where I live. But this has never happened to any of my hw from other brands. Even ones from a decade ago

That's bizarre. It looks as if moisture or humidity got caught on the point of the nails on just that plate. I suppose it shows that the nails and the plates are really two different components. But Hermes will stand by their product, especially as you've clearly never worn it (the plastic is still on). Good luck and keep us posted :smile:

Reactions: prepster

In tropical places, even with air conditioning, clothing, shoes and accessories must have air-flow. If you hang out on the forum much, you'll read lots of posts about tarnishing, mold and mildew.

A few tips:
-Leave your closet doors open so air from the room can circulate.
-If you can do it safely, consider leaving a light on in your closet or dressing room.
-Space garments, bags and accessories loosely in your closet so air can circulate around them.
-Don't store clothes, bags, silks or accessories in boxes, bags or plastic, they need air circulation.
-When you wear your jewelry, bags or shoes wipe them down with a dry, clean, soft cloth before putting them away.
-It helps to put those little silica packets inside bags and shoes. (Keep away from kids and pets!)
-You can order silica packets online, or find silica beads at camera shops in large bags and then just pour a little into a small muslin bag or even the cut off tip of a pair of nylons. When the blue beads are clear, they are full of water and need to be replaced.
-If you want to know how much moisture is actually in your closet, get one of those moisture-absorbing jars and set it inside. You'll be amazed how quickly the jar/sponge fills up with water.
-Clean your air conditioner filter frequently. You'd be surprised in the tropics how quickly mold and mildew build up inside aircon systems, which then gets circulated through the house.
-Salty, tropical air can wreak havoc on metals, so occasionally wipe off your jewelry and metal clasps on bags if you haven't worn them in awhile.

Last edited:
Hi Prepster - Great tips especially the silica packets. Can you please recommend one that has worked for you .. I did a quick search on eBay and there are tons ..:P Thanks-a-million!

Thanks, I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Then again, on the bright side you get to enjoy tropical flowers and palm trees and don't have to deal with snow! :smile: I don't think it matters very much which brand you use, but the packets do come in different sizes, so when you're comparing prices/quantities, just make sure you're comparing apples to apples, so to speak. You'll also want to be sure they come in a sealed plastic bag, or they'll be fairly useless by the time they get to you. I don't live in a tropical country anymore, but do live in a place with hot, humid summers, so I'm a big fan of silica, and put those little packets everywhere! :P When I did live in the tropics, I bought larger bags of blue beads and decanted them into cut-up old nylons tied with ribbon. If you have a sewing machine, you can even make your own little bags.

In the tropics I drove my landlord crazy having the handy-man clean and disinfect my AC filters every couple of weeks. I also had the housekeeper vacuum the vents every day. That makes for better air quality for you and your clothes.

Reactions: CaviarChanel
As noted, there are many threads on this. Also as noted, humidity and leaving plastic on the hardware can contribute to degradation of the plating.

Kindly have a look at previous threads on this subject; thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.