Help! Brand new bottle cracked!

amyveg

Longing...
Jan 6, 2012
I just left Ulta with the only bottle of OPI, My Private Jet, and in the car I noticed the outside layer of glass is cracked in two places. Is there anything I can do to save it?

do you have an almost empty bottle of anything you could clean out at home?
My Private Jet is too special to let go of, sorry that happened to you.

I just left Ulta with the only bottle of OPI, My Private Jet, and in the car I noticed the outside layer of glass is cracked in two places. Is there anything I can do to save it?

That stinks ... sounds a little crazy but if it's only the outer layer and not leaking I might try wrapping the bottle in electrical tape or something. :shrugs:

Be careful when you shake it!

Pick up a cheapo bottle of clear and transfer the polish if you don't have a spare bottle already. If you like the OPI brush then you can prob attach it to the random bottle, it'll just look weird :smile:

That stinks ... sounds a little crazy but if it's only the outer layer and not leaking I might try wrapping the bottle in electrical tape or something. :shrugs:

Be careful when you shake it!

I think I will try to tape it first. I hate to ruin the bottle, but better that than the polish!! The cracks do not look all the way through the glass on either side. However, it looks awful thick, so I hope no air got in to dry it up. In that case, I think I will contact Ulta, because I live over an hour away, and I think they should replace it.

taco said:
do you have an almost empty bottle of anything you could clean out at home?
My Private Jet is too special to let go of, sorry that happened to you.

This is what I'd do. Decant it into an empty polish bottle from something else. I just recently had a china glaze metallic crackle (the bronze one) explode. The bottle was cracked at the top, but again not leaking or anything. I set another bottle down next to it and the other bottle tapped it and that was just enough to make the neck of the bottle where it was cracked pop off and make a HUGE mess!

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

This is what I'd do. Decant it into an empty polish bottle from something else. I just recently had a china glaze metallic crackle (the bronze one) explode. The bottle was cracked at the top, but again not leaking or anything. I set another bottle down next to it and the other bottle tapped it and that was just enough to make the neck of the bottle where it was cracked pop off and make a HUGE mess!

OH NO!!! I am sorry that happened to you, but I certainly don't want it to happen to me! I better go get some empty bottles!! Anyplace inexpensive to get them? I have never used a whole bottle of polish before-too ADHD to use the same color for a long enough time!

I did just tape the bottle with duct tape and it seemed fine, but when I swatched it, I noticed the neck was cracked too, and a couple pieces of glass fell out! :tdown:

Not sure where you'd find them local. I've never seen them at like Sally's or anything. I ordered mine from amazon I think a while back. It was a 6 pack of them I got.

Might be easier though to dump a polish you have and don't like and clean the bottle. Lol.

OH NO!!! I am sorry that happened to you, but I certainly don't want it to happen to me! I better go get some empty bottles!! Anyplace inexpensive to get them? I have never used a whole bottle of polish before-too ADHD to use the same color for a long enough time!

I did just tape the bottle with duct tape and it seemed fine, but when I swatched it, I noticed the neck was cracked too, and a couple pieces of glass fell out! :tdown:

Do you have a Dollar Tree near you? Mine has tons of nailpolish for $1 or less. You could get one of those cheapies to empty & use for your MPJ. My DollarTree carries a brand called "L.A. Colors" that has a similar shape to OPI's bottles. (I actually just got a couple of LA Colors clear polishes to make jelly frankenpolishes & was pleasantly surprised by the formula. Just FYI, they are cruelty-free and have no formaldehyde/DBP/Tolune)

Do you have a Dollar Tree near you? Mine has tons of nailpolish for $1 or less. You could get one of those cheapies to empty & use for your MPJ. My DollarTree carries a brand called "L.A. Colors" that has a similar shape to OPI's bottles. (I actually just got a couple of LA Colors clear polishes to make jelly frankenpolishes & was pleasantly surprised by the formula. Just FYI, they are cruelty-free and have no formaldehyde/DBP/Tolune)

Good idea, Zoomie!! I will have to try that!!

Good idea, Zoomie!! I will have to try that!!
Just make sure you properly dump out the polish. You can't really just dump it down the drain. Polish disposal method I use from reading MUA is to lay out tons of newspaper or magazine (preferably newspaper, better soaking ability) and dump the contents onto it. Let it dry and trash it.

Just make sure you properly dump out the polish. You can't really just dump it down the drain. Polish disposal method I use from reading MUA is to lay out tons of newspaper or magazine (preferably newspaper, better soaking ability) and dump the contents onto it. Let it dry and trash it.

That's a good idea. I'd never even really considered how one would dispose of the polish from a bottle! How do y'all clean your emptied bottles though? Obviously, you can tell I've never done that huh? LOL

That's a good idea. I'd never even really considered how one would dispose of the polish from a bottle! How do y'all clean your emptied bottles though? Obviously, you can tell I've never done that huh? LOL

I've had to do the same when a bottle arrived broken. I used a bit of pure acetone to clean out the bottle. I poured in a bit, swirled it about/shook it and poured it out (into an empty soda can - it will evaporate in a short time). I did this a couple of times, let the bottle dry for an hour or so and decanted the polish into the new bottle.

ETA- If you don't have pure acetone, regular polish remover would likely work just as well. Just be sure to let it dry completely.

Last edited: