Help! Bought fake Van Cleef on Ebay!!

mimibag

Smile Smile Smile
O.G.
Jul 15, 2008
Hi and thank you to everyone who took the time to read this. On 7/22/11 I purchased a pair of double alhambra Van Cleef & Arpel earrings for $4600 from Top Rated Ebay seller "antiquecorner47-buyer." This seller also maintains a jewelry store in NYC. Two weeks ago one of the earrings broke so I took them to the Van Cleef & Arpel store here in Colorado and they shipped them to their NYC store. A few days ago I received a call from the NYC store informing me they were counterfeit and asking for information on where I purchased them. I gave them all of the information. I then called the seller and told them about this and said I would like to return the earrings for a refund. The seller said he wouldn't give me my money back because he could no longer get his money back from where he purchased them. I told him that was irrelevant to whether he should refund me but he sort of laughed and said it was too bad. Naturally, I am fuming mad. Any advice would be very much appreciated!! Thank you!!

Reactions: Cochran
Hi there, I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but I'll tell you how I recovered money. Firstly, I must point out that I live in Australia, so I don't know if the same rules etc apply to you. I got scammed last year, and paid with Paypal. It wasn't on eBay. A filed a claim with my bank for services not provided (or something like that). Receiving goods that are not what you were lead to believe would fall into the same category. (And fakes obviously). Anyway, my bank refunded my money, and they then went after the scammer (seller in your case). As you bought these earrings more than 45 days ago, sadly your buyer protection has expired. You may be able to call eBay and explain the situation, stressing that you were sold fakes, and they may be able to help. I'd definitely be getting a letter from the jeweller stating they're fakes too, then you have proof. Good luck, I feel bad for you. Its so unfair!

Hi sorry this happened to you. It has been over a year since you purchase and I do hope you can do something now. You may have to take legal action. I am sure some of the others will have more advice. Are you in US? I will be eagerly reading the progress and I do wish you luck.

Sorry to hear about this as well.

I would contact your seller again & tell him you expect a refund for the
"fake earrings"..

If he has a problem going back to the person he bought them from this is
his problem not yours.

You spent a significant amount & you bought them from someone reputable
who should stand behind their merchandise.

If he is not being cooperative, you may have to take further action..

I hope that your communication with thim was via an e-amil so at least you
have a papertrail in which he acknowledges that the earrrings were fake.
That should help you ..

Keep us posted..

Hi and thank you to everyone who took the time to read this. On 7/22/11 I purchased a pair of double alhambra Van Cleef & Arpel earrings for $4600 from Top Rated Ebay seller "antiquecorner47-buyer." This seller also maintains a jewelry store in NYC. Two weeks ago one of the earrings broke so I took them to the Van Cleef & Arpel store here in Colorado and they shipped them to their NYC store. A few days ago I received a call from the NYC store informing me they were counterfeit and asking for information on where I purchased them. I gave them all of the information. I then called the seller and told them about this and said I would like to return the earrings for a refund. The seller said he wouldn't give me my money back because he could no longer get his money back from where he purchased them. I told him that was irrelevant to whether he should refund me but he sort of laughed and said it was too bad. Naturally, I am fuming mad. Any advice would be very much appreciated!! Thank you!!

Can you get the information in writing from Van Cleef indicating that the earrings are counterfeit? This would be very important for any future action IMO.

I can not see how your bank/CC company can help out with this transaction that took place over a year ago.
The only think I would do is to seek legal advise if I were you.
Talk with your Lawyer, she/ he will advise you what to do.

Last edited:
Can you get the information in writing from Van Cleef indicating that the earrings are counterfeit? This would be very important for any future action IMO.

I agree. I think you will need to get something in writing from Van Cleef. I think you will have to pursue it legally. Ebay will not help you with a transaction that is 1.5 years old.

sounds to me like this is more a matter for your attorney and having them threaten the actual store in nyc. if they can make enough stink you might get your money back. the problem is this is a long time passed and the seller could conceivably say those were not the exact earrings etc etc... i know you had no reason to doubt but a purchase of that kind probably should be checked out as soon as received just to be on the safe side. i feel badly for you and hope you are successful.

How horrible! I'm ignorant of high end counterfeit jewelry - my eyes are opened. Will Van Cleef write a letter? That's the 1st thing you need. Besides the other suggestions mentioned, you can also report them on the BBB. Are the gold and gemstones real at least??

If VCA will write a letter as to the authenticity of this item, this would
help you.

You may have to seek out a lawyer & file a police report if the seller
is not going to work with you.

If you have insured the item, your insurance company may be able
to intervene..since this may be 'fraud'

Keep us posted

Last edited:
1. Get a letter from Van Cleef & Arpels
2. Have your attorney draft a letter informing the seller that the trafficking of counterfeit goods over state lines is a federal offense, and have your lawyer demand a refund.
3. File a police report. The cops might balk, because they won't it's worth their time, but do it anyway. Since the earrings were counterfeit, this is a criminal act, not a civil disagreement, so a police report is in order. Once it's filed, the police will need to act on pursuing a criminal case.

This is the only way I can think of to possibly get restitution. I hope this works. Keep us posted

1. Get a letter from Van Cleef & Arpels
2. Have your attorney draft a letter informing the seller that the trafficking of counterfeit goods over state lines is a federal offense, and have your lawyer demand a refund.
3. File a police report. The cops might balk, because they won't it's worth their time, but do it anyway. Since the earrings were counterfeit, this is a criminal act, not a civil disagreement, so a police report is in order. Once it's filed, the police will need to act on pursuing a criminal case.

This is the only way I can think of to possibly get restitution. I hope this works. Keep us posted

The original seller may not have known these earrings were counterfeit
& to the point that since he now knows that they are, he should
offer a refund..