Help! Big girl needs clothes for new job! Key Pieces?

tonij2000

Luvs Leather
O.G.
Mar 21, 2007
Here's the deal...If I get a new job that I applied for, I'll need clothes! I wear scrub uniforms everyday for work and I have one pair of jeans that I wear when I'm off. The new job is a management position and the attire is business casual I think it's called. I'm going shopping Saturday and here's where I need help...I'm short and a size 14-16 and have no clue what to buy. Black slacks, white blouses? Jackets? Oh yeah, I love scarves and have about a dozen but can't for the life of me figure out how to tie/drape them...Where do I start? I think I need a list of "key pieces" so I come home with workable clothes instead of a bunch of "stuff."

What about just some basic things- like A-line skirts, in black, gray, navy, maybe a stripe? I'm a 10-12 and very hippy w/ a butt and skirts work best for me instead of pants. I can find skirts that wash up well and stay nice for some time at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kohl's and even J.C. Penney. J.C. Penney's basics for work are actually pretty nice and most of their skirts have a liner, which I like. I'd also get some twin sets or cardigans in a 3/4 length- you can wear year round that way, w/ some camisoles/shells/or short sleeved tops for layering. I like blazers in neutral colors too that are not part of a suit- mix and match w/ your bottoms. Another place to look is Talbot's if you are short- they've got nice quality blazers there that aren't too stuffy looking. I'd also get some light weight sweaters that can stand alone w/ pants or a skirt, or be layered w/ a cardigan or blazer.

I have no clue on how to wear scarves!

One of the nicest business ways to wear a scarf is folded on the diagonal and pinned to the front of your blouse or jacket with an attractive & sturdy broach. Pin it opposite your dominant hand & it will not be in the way when performing normal tasks. It's an easy way to dress up an outfit & a fairly classic look.