Help! Applied for a job and no call yet...

I review resumes and invite candidates in my office for interviews, and I personally would be put off by someone who called just two business days after submitting their resume. We literally receive a dozen resumes a day, without even soliciting them. When we do, we get overwhelming responses. It may be the same for this company.

Chances are, you calling them to see if they "reviewed your resume" just two business days after dropping it off is going to get a "No, we haven't, but we'll call if we're interested." It doesn't seem assertive to me, it just seems anxious and pushy.

Hope you wanted an honest response! LOL I don't mean to be harsh, but that's my opinion. ;)

All the very best luck to you.

I tend to agree - at my old job, it was always kind of off-putting when people called quickly to see if you had looked at their resume yet. It's only been two business days, and honestly, Mondays and Fridays are kind weird days in most offices. I'd say that if you don't hear anything in the next week, then call, but not yet.

I totally encourage you to call them back! Just tell them that you're following up on the status of the position. Employers actually LOVE applicants who follow up with them; it shows them that this candidate really wants this job, and is organized. Plus, they might be really busy with other HR stuff.

Try to find a company phone number if possible. ITA, it would seem weird and a little unprofessional to call a cell number as a follow up. Did you get his business card? Do they have a website? Since you got his cell from a friend, would that friend know the company's public phone number?

Like PrincessCayenne said, the phone interview is usually a precursor to the in-person interview. If the interviewer likes you, then they'll bring you in for the in-person interview. It make sense of you think about it from their perspective, you don't want to waste time meeting with all these different candidates when you could weedle through the pile in 10-30 minute phone call to each.

Phone interviews usually consist of general questions: Could you explain a little about yourself? Why do you want this position? Why do you think you would be a good fit? How does your past experience contribute to our company? etc etc. You can totally find all these types of questions online.

Hope that help LA! :flowers:
Thank you so much for all of the info, luna! Thanks for the sample questions! The internet is great for this kind of thing! I did look online and found all kinds of sample questions, which is very cool! I prepared answers for all of them, so I'm ready for the interview.

I actually cannot find the phone number, I can't find it on yellow pages, on their webpage, and I even called 4-1-1 info and they also said it was unlisted. So like I said, I do have his cell number, but I'm afraid to call that, I don't want to seem too forward. This is actually a relatively well known telemarketing firm, so I'm not sure why the number is unlisted, as this particular firm has been open for a year.

But anyway, thanks for all of the advice!!! You're always helpful!

I review resumes and invite candidates in my office for interviews, and I personally would be put off by someone who called just two business days after submitting their resume. We literally receive a dozen resumes a day, without even soliciting them. When we do, we get overwhelming responses. It may be the same for this company.

Chances are, you calling them to see if they "reviewed your resume" just two business days after dropping it off is going to get a "No, we haven't, but we'll call if we're interested." It doesn't seem assertive to me, it just seems anxious and pushy.

Hope you wanted an honest response! LOL I don't mean to be harsh, but that's my opinion. ;)

Oh yes! I definitely wanted honest responses! You don't sound harsh at all! I was hoping to get some responses from experienced employers! I actually thought the same thing, that's why I posted this thread, because my DH thinks I should call, but I think it would make me look pushy.

Thank you for the advice! I think I will wait awhile. Actually, in my opinion, if an employer is interested, I'm fairly certain they'll call when they want you. So I'm currently looking into other positions in case I'm not what he was looking for.

I tend to agree - at my old job, it was always kind of off-putting when people called quickly to see if you had looked at their resume yet. It's only been two business days, and honestly, Mondays and Fridays are kind weird days in most offices. I'd say that if you don't hear anything in the next week, then call, but not yet.
Thanks amanda, that's exactly what I'm going to do. It has only been a few days, and he said he was going to fax my resume to the corporate office, so maybe they haven't even gotten back to him yet.

Thanks so much for all of your advice everyone!!! If anyone has anything to add, please do! I'm always open to more suggestions! I'm still new at this, so I guess the only real way to learn is by experience!

I've been in the corporate recruiting field for a long time and I think this situation is slightly different vs. a random person who emailed a CV to a [email protected] company address who is then calling to follow up, since the OP said she gave her CV to the boss personally and he said he liked her CV and they would call her soon for an interview.

Without knowing all the details, my assumption is that the boss gave OP's CV to the HR/Recruiting person or whomever is responsible for the phone screens...in my experience when the hiring manager or boss gives me a CV to include in phone screens, it catapults to the top of my pile to call, since I know hiring manager/boss is going to ask me for status on that particular individual sooner than asking about the entire candidate pool. So I'd want to act proactively to get in touch with the individual to either schedule and/or conduct the phone interview quickly.

OP, I'd feel comfortable calling to (1) express your strong interest in the job/company; (2) ask if there is further information they need from you for consideration; and (3) ask if it's possible to schedule a phone interview.

Even if you get the boss on the phone, he'll either give you the name/number of the person handling the phone interviews (and then follow up with that person offline) or likely schedule it himself if he's the one doing the interviews.

Either way, you will have demonstrated your interest in the job/company and your proactiveness following up. You say this job is an Admin Assistant? Being unafraid to follow up appropriately is a pretty good characteristic to have for this job, don'tcha think?

Good luck and keep us updated!!
Thanks for all of the info! I can only hope I'm at the top of the list! You're right, taking the initiative to call would be a good characteristic, so if I don't hear anything in a few days, I'll definitely call. If I had the company number rather than just his cell number, I might not hesitate as much...lol! :sweatdrop:

Thanks for all of the info! I can only hope I'm at the top of the list! You're right, taking the initiative to call would be a good characteristic, so if I don't hear anything in a few days, I'll definitely call. If I had the company number rather than just his cell number, I might not hesitate as much...lol! :sweatdrop:

Can you look on your local Better Business Bureau website or phone book for the company phone number? Sometimes small businesses (which this sounds like it may be?) do not always have websites...

Or ask your friend who gave you the boss' number if s/he knows (?)

Good luck! :flowers:

Can you look on your local Better Business Bureau website or phone book for the company phone number? Sometimes small businesses (which this sounds like it may be?) do not always have websites...

Or ask your friend who gave you the boss' number if s/he knows (?)

Good luck! :flowers:
Thank you! I'll call career link tomorrow, maybe they will know...Better Business Bureau is a great idea too! Thanks!

LA....I personally don't think it's a good idea to call the boss's cell #. If you can get the company #, then definitely give a call and check on things. It's my experience that HR departments run at their own pace and it's definitely slower than mine!
Good luck, LA. If it's meant to be, it will be.

Have you tried emailing the company through the website and requesting his contact information?
Yup, under "Contact Us" on the website, it has phone numbers for 3 or 4 branches and that's it. Then it has a locator, which includes a map, and if you put your cursor over a star which marks the location of a branch, it gives numbers and addresses, but under the branch I'm trying to become a part of, it only offers an address. I've even tried typing the address into the google search bar, and it says 'No Matches.'

Thanks for the suggestion though.

LA....I personally don't think it's a good idea to call the boss's cell #. If you can get the company #, then definitely give a call and check on things. It's my experience that HR departments run at their own pace and it's definitely slower than mine!
Thank you luralee! I see you are looking for a job too because of your signature...good luck to you! I've still heard nothing yet, but I agree w/ you about calling my possible future boss's cell number. I just don't feel comfortable doing it. It was given to me by a mutual friend of my husband's and the manager, not by the manager himself, so I'm sure he'd wonder why I had it also. So I'm going to play it safe for now and just wait it out...if I don't hear anything by next week, I may just stop down and ask to speak with him personally. Do you guys think that's a good idea?

You took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH, huge turnoff :tdown:and I usually do not consider those resumes when the candidate is pushy. I sometimes get over 200 responses in terms of resumes if I'm working on multiple requisitions and I do review every single resume but if you bug me, THAT'S IT, lol. I had one candidate that called 3 times in one week inquiring about their resume and if I had reviewed it, guess what they never got a call back. Recruiters are VERY busy and if you call and leave that voicemail and they are having a bad day, watch out. My suggestion is leave it alone, apply for several positions, don't put all your eggs in one basket and I guarantee you will get a call back.

Last edited:

EXACTLY! :tup:

You took the words RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH, huge turnoff :tdown:and I usually do not consider those resumes when the candidate is pushy. I sometimes get over 200 responses in terms of resumes if I'm working on multiple requisitions and I do review every single resume but if you bug me, THAT'S IT, lol. I had one candidate that called 3 times in one week inquiring about their resume and if I had reviewed it, guess what they never got a call back. Recruiters are VERY busy and if you call and leave that voicemail and they are having a bad day, watch out. My suggestion is leave it alone, apply for several positions, don't put all your eggs in one basket and I guarantee you will get a call back.
Thanks divaliciout!!! That's really good advice...when I didn't get a call Monday I thought, "uh oh! I'd better have a backup plan" so I applied for two other positions. So I'm sure I'll get at least one call back, but I'm really hoping for the first company to call. We shall see! Thanks again! And congrats on your pregnancy!

Thanks divaliciout!!! That's really good advice...when I didn't get a call Monday I thought, "uh oh! I'd better have a backup plan" so I applied for two other positions. So I'm sure I'll get at least one call back, but I'm really hoping for the first company to call. We shall see! Thanks again! And congrats on your pregnancy!

Thank you and GOOD LUCK, continue to apply to various positions and I know you will get a call back. ;)